Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times

Advertisements

^ that's one problem down but you have other kinds of problems, like having to drive 15 minutes at highway speeds just to get to "the store".
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ that's one problem down but you have other kinds of problems, like having to drive 15 minutes at highway speeds just to get to "the store".
How is that a problem? I call that a bonus.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
^ well it'll be more like 45 minutes at crawling speeds after tomorrow's snowfall.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ well it'll be more like 45 minutes at crawling speeds after tomorrow's snowfall.
Not in my macho sized gas guzzling 4X4 Pick up truck!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 AM

268 posts, read 176,830 times
To the person who pretty much ripped me apart for complaining about this pacing on the phone saying how that's normal for people/apartments, I wish I could have invited you here to experience it. Guarantee you would have lost your mind within a matter of a few minutes.

You see again, I'll explain...

I know all about apartment life. I know all about normal noise and what to expect when living on a bottom floor. Regular walking around here and there, from room to room, absolutely positively no problem.

When someone is walking BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH in a legit circle for OVER AN HOUR with absolutely positively NO BREAK, on top of your head, that's when it goes from "normal" to downright blood boiling ridiculous and something has to be said about the thin floors. Hell, thin floors aside, this was just insane. i sent my friend a video of it and he said he could not believe it and that the person must have some kind of anxiety issue. This was NOT normal pacing here and there for a few minutes while on a phone. Now sure, do people pace around a bit when on the phone? Yes. Am I even guilty of it a bit? YES. Not a lot, but I walk here and there sometimes, sure. NOTHING LIKE THIS. Again, one more time, we are talking about walking in CIRCLES. One side of the co-op to the other, nonstop, no break, nonstop, BACK AND FORTH. Not for 5 minutes. Not for 10 minutes. Sometimes for an HOUR OR MORE. This was pure insanity.

ANYWAY.... Fortunately I had an even better reason to ring his bell and speak to him anyway. You see he threw ANOTHER party that went past 11pm, with a chaos of noise upstairs that ranged from loud talking, yelling, noises being made, and even a little bit of BANGING on furniture. Two of his guests rang my doorbell by accident as well. I sat down watching TV hearing what sounded like a legit frat party on top of my head. This was it and this was the last straw. I spoke to him nicely the next day and as painfully awkward as it all was (how can it not be?), i told him straight up that unfortunately these floors are paper thin and noise like last night just isn't going to float here. He was very nice about it and said multiple times he was "wondering about that" (With the floors). Well, yeah, if you were so much wondering about it then god forbid you knock on my door and introduce yourself and give me a heads up about a party or two.

We concluded by having small talk about our jobs. Again, just painful. He apologized for the noise and said there wouldn't be anything like that for a long time. I told him look, you live here, you can have people over, i do myself sometimes. But all i'm asking is to just keep it down a bit, especially after the 10:30p timeframe. I told him this was the last kind of talk I ever wanted to have and felt bad. He saw this. Lastly, the phone pacing was mentioned to him as well. I didn't ask him to stop that as I felt he already got the idea about the thin floors and that everything was now changed in his mind. Then we said our goodbyes and shook hands.

Ever since the talk things have been noticeably better. I have not experienced one pacing scenario since.

Last edited by LI7788; 01-12-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 PM

99 posts, read 82,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
To the person who pretty much ripped me apart for complaining about this pacing on the phone saying how that's normal for people/apartments, I wish I could have invited you here to experience it. Guarantee you would have lost your mind within a matter of a few minutes.

You see again, I'll explain...

I know all about apartment life. I know all about normal noise and what to expect when living on a bottom floor. Regular walking around here and there, from room to room, absolutely positively no problem.

When someone is walking BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH in a legit circle for OVER AN HOUR with absolutely positively NO BREAK, on top of your head, that's when it goes from "normal" to downright blood boiling ridiculous and something has to be said about the thin floors. Hell, thin floors aside, this was just insane. i sent my friend a video of it and he said he could not believe it and that the person must have some kind of anxiety issue. This was NOT normal pacing here and there for a few minutes while on a phone. Now sure, do people pace around a bit when on the phone? Yes. Am I even guilty of it a bit? YES. Not a lot, but I walk here and there sometimes, sure. NOTHING LIKE THIS. Again, one more time, we are talking about walking in CIRCLES. One side of the co-op to the other, nonstop, no break, nonstop, BACK AND FORTH. Not for 5 minutes. Not for 10 minutes. Sometimes for an HOUR OR MORE. This was pure insanity.

ANYWAY.... Fortunately I had an even better reason to ring his bell and speak to him anyway. You see he threw ANOTHER party that went past 11pm, with a chaos of noise upstairs that ranged from loud talking, yelling, noises being made, and even a little bit of BANGING on furniture. Two of his guests rang my doorbell by accident as well. I sat down watching TV hearing what sounded like a legit frat party on top of my head. This was it and this was the last straw. I spoke to him nicely the next day and as painfully awkward as it all was (how can it not be?), i told him straight up that unfortunately these floors are paper thin and noise like last night just isn't going to float here. He was very nice about it and said multiple times he was "wondering about that" (With the floors). Well, yeah, if you were so much wondering about it then god forbid you knock on my door and introduce yourself and give me a heads up about a party or two.

We concluded by having small talk about our jobs. Again, just painful. He apologized for the noise and said there wouldn't be anything like that for a long time. I told him look, you live here, you can have people over, i do myself sometimes. But all i'm asking is to just keep it down a bit, especially after the 10:30p timeframe. I told him this was the last kind of talk I ever wanted to have and felt bad. He saw this. Lastly, the phone pacing was mentioned to him as well. I didn't ask him to stop that as I felt he already got the idea about the thin floors and that everything was now changed in his mind. Then we said our goodbyes and shook hands.

Ever since the talk things have been noticeably better. I have not experienced one pacing scenario since.
I'm glad to hear things worked out for you. I agree- talking to them direct is the only real way. Management is useless. so are cops unless you can hear them from like a block away. I also agree- the pacing is insane. People don't get it, it doesn't have to be super loud, just always there and thus annoying. I have the same situation with this guy's bass system. Two other neighbors I've spoken to, it took one time and guess what, they've adjusted their setting and now I rarely hear them. The guy downstairs, after a year of back and forth, he has the nerve to say, "I pay rent here and I have a right to hear music." My reply "Do you think I live rent-free? I work 6 days a week too, unlike you. And I have a right to not be bothered by 5 solid hours of bass thumping." Because he's a sociopath, we get nowhere as he has no ability to see another person's point of view. So I'm really glad your situation worked. I find most people are indeed reasonable and feel shamed enough when directly confronted. I just got the one exception to the rule.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:39 PM

32 posts, read 21,847 times
The woman upstairs in my apt complex does the same thing. She paces for hours, like maybe 8-10 hours per day. She also does this from 2 am - 6 am. I think she might have a mental issue. It would be one thing if she went to the bathroom, went back to bed, or was ill and had to head the bathroom, to get some medicine. But no, this isn't the issue.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:21 PM

155 posts, read 101,003 times
My grandma used to have pockmarks on the ceiling of her apartment in Brooklyn.
I asked her why.

She was pounding the ceiling with her broomstick.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I knew it was you! You were the same person who Complained about their elderly neighbor blasting her TV. What ever happened with that situation?? If you want peace and quiet after a long hard day live in the middle of no where.LOL.
That's not really fair. All have a right to peace and normal enjoyment everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: