Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM

78 posts, read 203,184 times

Advertisements

Couple of questions out of the gate:

1) For the period btw January 2nd and March 31st, 2018, am I appealing 2018 assessment or the 2019/2020? Based on the mailings I'm getting seems like the 2018 ship has sailed?

2) Have people been successful in winning their the appeal when personally appealing through the website? A few guys I know have said chances are best when using a service as it's all just a connected and corrupt mess. I would like to hear people, at least some, are finding success when using the online tool.

3) When I search the site for sales comps to my house, despite the search function indicating it's searching over 365,000 property sales in Nassau, the same three comps show up - do you have to select from the properties that show up in the search? Not crazy about these comps..

Lastly, I am annoyed with myself for not being on top of this. A number of my neighbors have nicer and larger houses than me, and they are paying thousands less than me given their successful appeals. I wish I could show this evidence of the taxing mismatch - any way I can include this in what I prepare?

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 AM

16 posts, read 13,462 times
I believe any tax break, if your grievance is successful, will not go in effect until the next year.

I've successfully grieved my taxes the last two years on my own. Services can be more effective because they present a broader case of multiple houses at a time being "over-assessed." However I don't think using a service is necessary unless your grievance is unsuccessful. if your grievance is unsuccessful you can appeal it. But I believe your appeal requires you going to court and presenting your case, which most people don't want to do. That's what a lot of the services end up doing but in mass, so they tend to have better outcomes. I've never had to appeal but have found I'm usually met half way with my idea of assessed value. Other people who I know that grieve their own are met with similar results and say this is typical.

You can use the comps on the website. However you can also add additional comps from sites like Zillow and MLSLI. Remember, they are giving you the comps on their website, so they might not be giving you the best ones. I have also submitted houses bigger than mine with lower assessed values and lower taxes. I believe everything basically comes down to square footage; not house style or how "modern" your house is. Your comps should aim to be within a 1 mile radius for a stronger argument. Some people prefer to do a hard copy grievance and personally submit it.

Donald Clavin(?), the tax man, in Nassau, usually does a library tour explaining how to grieve. The system is broken for sure. If you don't grieve, you end up paying for someone else's tax break. If everyone grieves...

These are just my experiences. Others may have different and different information. ...hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 AM

116 posts, read 172,094 times
I did it myself online in November, I just threw in a number 70k less than the assessed value. For year 2018/19 I have a reduction of 142. I have no idea what that means, but I think I win.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:38 AM

78 posts, read 203,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonLongIsland View Post
I believe any tax break, if your grievance is successful, will not go in effect until the next year.

I've successfully grieved my taxes the last two years on my own. Services can be more effective because they present a broader case of multiple houses at a time being "over-assessed." However I don't think using a service is necessary unless your grievance is unsuccessful. if your grievance is unsuccessful you can appeal it. But I believe your appeal requires you going to court and presenting your case, which most people don't want to do. That's what a lot of the services end up doing but in mass, so they tend to have better outcomes. I've never had to appeal but have found I'm usually met half way with my idea of assessed value. Other people who I know that grieve their own are met with similar results and say this is typical.

You can use the comps on the website. However you can also add additional comps from sites like Zillow and MLSLI. Remember, they are giving you the comps on their website, so they might not be giving you the best ones. I have also submitted houses bigger than mAine with lower assessed values and lower taxes. I believe everything basically comes down to square footage; not house style or how "modern" your house is. Your comps should aim to be within a 1 mile radius for a stronger argument. Some people prefer to do a hard copy grievance and personally submit it.

Donald Clavin(?), the tax man, in Nassau, usually does a library tour explaining how to grieve. The system is broken for sure. If you don't grieve, you end up paying for someone else's tax break. If everyone grieves...

These are just my experiences. Others may have different and different information. ...hope this helps.
Really appreciate the help. LifeonLI. At least the website updated after the 1st of the year. I popped on there new year's eve, and the basis point of assessment was showing .01 for every house. Made it even more confusing. Now they are showing as the 25 basis points at least.

Regarding the selection of comps that are best for presenting a case, I'll need to register on the AROW site and then I imagine I'll see additional options on add'l support that can be included in the submission. Presently I have only popped around on the first few pages where a link says "do you have a case for filing an appeal"?

Looking at Newday's interactive tool, that is all the support I really need. In my neighborhood, 75% of the houses that are of similar size have seen assessment % changes of anywhere form -5% to -45%. Mine is up 36% (2010/11 to 2016-17)!!! I think my plan is to research the neighboring properties off this newsday tool, and then hit zillow or mls and use these as my comps.

If you have any other thoughts, let me know.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island