Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 06:59 PM

323 posts, read 939,984 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just moved to LI this week for a new job in Hauppauge with a company located in the industrial park off of Oser Rd. I'm currently staying in an Airbnb til I find a place to live. I've been searching on CL, Spareroom, Roommates, Roomster, MLSLI, Pad Mapper, Truilla, Zillow, etc. for the last month and a half and I haven't seen much that I'm interested in for apartments.

Although I would like to do Hauppauge, Commack, Smithtown, Northport, or Huntington nothing has popped up that catches my attention yet.

The best one yet happens to be in Massapequa near Southern State and Broadway. It's about 4 blocks to the SS ramp.

So I'm wondering how bad of a commute that will be?

Can I do it in under 40 min. on a bad day? (snow, rain)

Will going West > East help?

Is SS and Sag generally better then LIE to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Assuming you'll be commuting during rush hour..

Your drive to Hauppauge in the morning will be okay. Your main issue will be the backed up traffic in the left two lanes of the eastbound SSP as it merges onto the northbound Sagtikos Pkwy.

Your drive home will be tough. The southbound Sagtikos has a very bad bottleneck from the Motor Pkwy/LIE exit; and as you later head west on the SSP, traffic gets bad again as you approach Route 110 since you hit the traffic leaving Melville/Farmingdale office parks. The alternative would be to take the LIE westbound and deal with the Melville traffic; which is even worse.

If you're looking for decent and reasonably priced areas with good commutes to Hauppauge then check out Deer Park, Islip, West Bay Shore or West Islip.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Hi everyone,

I just moved to LI this week for a new job in Hauppauge with a company located in the industrial park off of Oser Rd. I'm currently staying in an Airbnb til I find a place to live. I've been searching on CL, Spareroom, Roommates, Roomster, MLSLI, Pad Mapper, Truilla, Zillow, etc. for the last month and a half and I haven't seen much that I'm interested in for apartments.

Although I would like to do Hauppauge, Commack, Smithtown, Northport, or Huntington nothing has popped up that catches my attention yet.

The best one yet happens to be in Massapequa near Southern State and Broadway. It's about 4 blocks to the SS ramp.

Easy commute. Drive there will be nothing, driving home maybe some traffic on the Sag but that’s about it. It’s really not bad at all.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Because of the scarcity of decent (legal) rentals on Long Island, right now many rentals end up as exclusives and never show up on any of the sites you're looking at.
Also, this time of year, there is limited turnover--most tenants prefer not to move this time of year.

With regard to travel time/ease between Massapequa and Hauppauge, I tend to agree with MemoryMaker - going home during rush hour will not be fun

Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Hi everyone,

That's my old neighborhood.
The reverse commute to Hauppauge SSP and SAG isn't too bad. I agree with Memorymaker regarding the ride home.

I would add East Islip, Islip Terrace, Bohemia, Oakdale, Sayville to the search areas, too.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:39 AM

323 posts, read 939,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Assuming you'll be commuting during rush hour..

Your drive to Hauppauge in the morning will be okay. Your main issue will be the backed up traffic in the left two lanes of the eastbound SSP as it merges onto the northbound Sagtikos Pkwy.

Your drive home will be tough. The southbound Sagtikos has a very bad bottleneck from the Motor Pkwy/LIE exit; and as you later head west on the SSP, traffic gets bad again as you approach Route 110 since you hit the traffic leaving Melville/Farmingdale office parks. The alternative would be to take the LIE westbound and deal with the Melville traffic; which is even worse.

If you're looking for decent and reasonably priced areas with good commutes to Hauppauge then check out Deer Park, Islip, West Bay Shore or West Islip.
Thanks for the info. Would West bound make much of a difference if I left at 6 or 6:30 PM?

My office is definitely a "work late" culture and I'm sure that as I get into the flow of things more I will be too. I'm also not far from the gym either, so I'd consider working out first and then driving home, pushing my departure time out a bit more.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Leaving later will defintely make your commute better. After 6:15pm, things really wind down a lot.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
It's not bad. I once lived in 'the riv' (Bellmore-Merrick-Wantagh) and drove to Westhampton Beach everyday. Now THAT was bad.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:02 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
I know it might be a pain but I would hold out for something closer to Hauppauge. Or - if you're going to be giving yourself a lengthy car commute - it should at least be from somewhere desirable. And the areas you mentioned don't quite qualify.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
I go from South Farmingdale to Stony Brook Hospital area and it takes 45 months notes each ways working 8:30 to 5 (barring accidents or crazy weather). I take SSP from exit 32 to Sagtikoa north to LIE or NSP. Bottlenecks are there but only last a few minutes and you're on your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island