U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:13 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,617,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineUSA View Post
Definitely! The internet is a great resource for doing research and even finding places you never knew about.

I'm also thinking about how the $10,000 Federal tax cap on SALT deductions is going to go over in 2019 when people are actually doing their 2018 income taxes. Right now people aren't seeing the full effect like seeing the numbers in black and white on their tax returns.

I wonder how much the salability and market value of homes will be negatively affected on LI and other high tax areas.
Lots of older, smaller VS houses with one or 1+ bathrooms have taxes under $10k. You may find what you need there.

Don't concern yourself with the lists; finding a home that suits your needs is what matters. Lists tart up okayish towns as incredibly desirable so their PR person can post at FB and show off what Money mag said.

If you do shop for a house in VS, look for a home that's not in the incorporated village. The Village taxes separately and will dump an additional $2.2+K in taxes on you every year (I would know, because it happened to me).

The schools in VS are pretty good, but the Hewlett-Woodmere is most desirable. VS kids going to the high school may experience bias from the richer kids in the Five Towns. My mother had a friend whose granddaughter went through this.

The town has 4 official districts, and yes, it's ludicrous. I strongly favor consolidation, but realize it (and the savings) will never happen.

Another thing: VS is strict about street parking and will ticket your car for overnight parking. They do this deliberately to prevent homes from being used as rentals.

The town is strict about preventing kids from Queens from attending VS schools, and may ask for more paperwork than you expect if enrolling your kids in the schools. I heard once they may also send someone over to your house to double-check your residency.

In VS, there's a lot of ticketing in the parking lots and their meter readers will swoop in quickly if your meter runs out or if you have the wrong parking sticker. This is also the price for living close to "la frontera" (the border). Also, a big moneymaking thing in VS because the town is always broke (even though they tax a lot).

As a town on the city border, VS local government has ways that come off as anal and my mother never liked the way the town operates. She thought the town we lived in out in Suffolk was friendlier and more laidback. She was right; I agree. OTOH, there's a price to pay for access and close proximity to NYC. VS does some disagreeable stuff to keep the town livable and protect r.e. values. FWIW, I'm living in the SW for about 6 weeks now, and there are fewer rules in general.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 04:27 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,406,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Lots of older, smaller VS houses with one or 1+ bathrooms have taxes under $10k. You may find what you need there.

Don't concern yourself with the lists; finding a home that suits your needs is what matters. Lists tart up okayish towns as incredibly desirable so their PR person can post at FB and show off what Money mag said.

If you do shop for a house in VS, look for a home that's not in the incorporated village. The Village taxes separately and will dump an additional $2.2+K in taxes on you every year (I would know, because it happened to me).

The schools in VS are pretty good, but the Hewlett-Woodmere is most desirable. VS kids going to the high school may experience bias from the richer kids in the Five Towns. My mother had a friend whose granddaughter went through this.

The town has 4 official districts, and yes, it's ludicrous. I strongly favor consolidation, but realize it (and the savings) will never happen.

Another thing: VS is strict about street parking and will ticket your car for overnight parking. They do this deliberately to prevent homes from being used as rentals.

The town is strict about preventing kids from Queens from attending VS schools, and may ask for more paperwork than you expect if enrolling your kids in the schools. I heard once they may also send someone over to your house to double-check your residency.

In VS, there's a lot of ticketing in the parking lots and their meter readers will swoop in quickly if your meter runs out or if you have the wrong parking sticker. This is also the price for living close to "la frontera" (the border). Also, a big moneymaking thing in VS because the town is always broke (even though they tax a lot).

As a town on the city border, VS local government has ways that come off as anal and my mother never liked the way the town operates. She thought the town we lived in out in Suffolk was friendlier and more laidback. She was right; I agree. OTOH, there's a price to pay for access and close proximity to NYC. VS does some disagreeable stuff to keep the town livable and protect r.e. values. FWIW, I'm living in the SW for about 6 weeks now, and there are fewer rules in general.
Valley Stream village taxes really replace Town of Hempstead taxes (we only pay about $100 to the ToH general fund), so you really don't end up paying that much more to live in the village. Unless, like me you are in Hewlett-Woodmere schools, because then you have to pay library taxes to Hewlett-Woodmere library ($600+ a year for me) despite having library access through the Village of Valley Stream.

The Hewlett-Woodmere wealth factor is something I think about from time to time, but Hewlett has plenty of middle class areas other than Gibson. It's not like everyone in Hewlett is loaded by any stretch. But Valley Stream schools are much more economically homogeneous (despite being so diverse).

Old 01-23-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Valley Stream village taxes really replace Town of Hempstead taxes (we only pay about $100 to the ToH general fund), so you really don't end up paying that much more to live in the village. Unless, like me you are in Hewlett-Woodmere schools, because then you have to pay library taxes to Hewlett-Woodmere library ($600+ a year for me) despite having library access through the Village of Valley Stream.

The Hewlett-Woodmere wealth factor is something I think about from time to time, but Hewlett has plenty of middle class areas other than Gibson. It's not like everyone in Hewlett is loaded by any stretch. But Valley Stream schools are much more economically homogeneous (despite being so diverse).
What $100? I paid almost $1.8K to the TOH in addition to VS Village taxes of well over $2.2K. Last year, Village of VS rattled the poverty tin cup and got a tax increase of almost 7%. I was in SD #24.

Perhaps the H-W story has changed, and retold the story I got from the grandma. We both know there's a lot more wealth when you cross Peninsula Boulevard, although some areas in Hewlett near Broadway are kind of meh. It's truly meh along Peninsula on the VS side leading up to the Foodtown shopping center.

I think I need a LI lobotomy. I live in the southwest now!

Old 01-23-2018, 04:54 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,406,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
What $100? I paid almost $1.8K to the TOH in addition to VS Village taxes of well over $2.2K. Last year, Village of VS rattled the poverty tin cup and got a tax increase of almost 7%.

Perhaps the H-W story has changed, and retold the story I got from the grandma. We both know there's a lot more wealth when you cross Peninsula Boulevard, although some areas in Hewlett near Broadway are kind of meh.

I think I need a LI lobotomy. I live in the southwest now!
Yea of course there is insane wealth in the district (many go to private school, though) but plenty of middle class and generically upper middle class.

My Nassau County taxes are about $1,500; my Town of Hempstead taxes are about $100 and my Valley Stream village taxes are about $2,500. I swear. If you don't live in the incorporated village, town of Hempstead or a special district will tax you separately for sanitation, parks and maybe some other stuff.

Looking at a similarly assessed house in Hewlett, they pay $730 in Town of Hempstead taxes and $825 in special district taxes. So it looks like the incorporated village adds about $1,000 to a typical tax bill. I'll take it in exchange for the street parking restrictions, $30 annual LIRR parking and a nice village pool. I also think VS has better sanitation and snow plowing than the non-incorporated areas, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Yea of course there is insane wealth in the district (many go to private school, though) but plenty of middle class and generically upper middle class.

My Nassau County taxes are about $1,500; my Town of Hempstead taxes are about $100 and my Valley Stream village taxes are about $2,500. I swear. If you don't live in the incorporated village, town of Hempstead or a special district will tax you separately for sanitation, parks and maybe some other stuff.

Looking at a similarly assessed house in Hewlett, they pay $730 in Town of Hempstead taxes and $825 in special district taxes. So it looks like the incorporated village adds about $1,000 to a typical tax bill. I'll take it in exchange for the street parking restrictions, $30 annual LIRR parking and a nice village pool. I also think VS has better sanitation and snow plowing than the non-incorporated areas, but that's just my opinion.
The snow plowing and the garbage pickup in the Village were pretty good. As for road repairs, I rate them 4 out of 10, or pretty awful. Potholes were everywhere, especially on Munro Blvd.

You do realize the TOH and those "special districts" are just b.s. patronage pits that exist to spread taxpayer cash onto the connected.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,897,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineUSA View Post
My husband and I came to LI for a career position for him based in Nassau County. We have been thinking about buying a home, but are on the fence about where. Suffolk County is too far away from his job. We are interested in western Nassau or Queens.

Soooooo according to this list from a major publication, western Nassau's Valley Stream is the poster child for NY.

I'd like to get the impressions of people who actually live on Long Island and those who live in Valley Stream if this catches the eye of someone who lives there or who has lived there.

What do you think? I also read the NY Times article from last year ("Neat, Clean and Safe"):

That article starts out that Valley Stream is a good place for immigrants whose custom is to live with large extended families in one single-family home that is larger and cheaper than the home sizes and prices in Queens.

The other qualities discussed are amenable, if a little bit boring (as the headline indicates).

Anyway, I would like opinions of LI'ers to either look at Valley Stream as a potential place to buy a single-family home.

Best Places to Live in Every State 2018 | Money
Once again someone comes here looking for the best place for them without saying what it is they like to do. Chances are the weighting of the things on the Money magazine list are not the same as the weighting of the people inquiring. You've given some basics of the things you're looking for but not those things that make a difference to you.

Museums? Fishing? Horses - riding or betting on? Sports - watching or doing? Growing food or eating food? These are samples of questions that make a difference in individual quality of life and are essential to finding the right place for you.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 17,130,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Once again someone comes here looking for the best place for them without saying what it is they like to do. Chances are the weighting of the things on the Money magazine list are not the same as the weighting of the people inquiring. You've given some basics of the things you're looking for but not those things that make a difference to you.

Museums? Fishing? Horses - riding or betting on? Sports - watching or doing? Growing food or eating food? These are samples of questions that make a difference in individual quality of life and are essential to finding the right place for you.
I love food. Please tell me the places on Long Island where they have food. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,897,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I love food. Please tell me the places on Long Island where they have food. Thank you.
Google "LI Bagels" and "LI Pizza."

Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 AM

7,133 posts, read 8,272,495 times
If Valley Stream is the best town in the state, NY is in more trouble than originally thought,lol.
In a nutshell it is an ok area. Average at best, with good commuting time via roads or rails to NYC.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
If Valley Stream is the best town in the state, NY is in more trouble than originally thought,lol.
In a nutshell it is an ok area. Average at best, with good commuting time via roads or rails to NYC.
Exactly, I agree (as a former longtime resident). If anything, this silly list should end the practice of members here mindlessly slamming Valley Stream as the "hood." It's neither nirvana nor a high crime ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island