Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:13 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,835,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Since we're discussing specialness, you're a very special boy, Karl.
Aw shucks. Thank you. My momma always told me I was special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
V.S. best place to live?, heck it aint even safe to go to the movies in V.S.
I beg to differ. Those incidents from the movies happened back in the 80's and that movie theatre isn't here anymore. It was also close to the city line bordering Rosedale. What about the nut who went shooting people in the movies a few years ago out West? That are was considered to be extremely safe and look what happened there.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Valley Stream Civic Association in the house!
Let's give them a warm welcome!

Old 01-30-2018, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineUSA View Post
My husband and I came to LI for a career position for him based in Nassau County. We have been thinking about buying a home, but are on the fence about where. Suffolk County is too far away from his job. We are interested in western Nassau or Queens.

Soooooo according to this list from a major publication, western Nassau's Valley Stream is the poster child for NY.

I'd like to get the impressions of people who actually live on Long Island and those who live in Valley Stream if this catches the eye of someone who lives there or who has lived there.

What do you think? I also read the NY Times article from last year ("Neat, Clean and Safe"):

That article starts out that Valley Stream is a good place for immigrants whose custom is to live with large extended families in one single-family home that is larger and cheaper than the home sizes and prices in Queens.

The other qualities discussed are amenable, if a little bit boring (as the headline indicates).

Anyway, I would like opinions of LI'ers to either look at Valley Stream as a potential place to buy a single-family home.

[URL="http://time.com/money/5108196/best-places-to-live-every-state-us/"]Best Places to Live in Every State 2018 | Money[/URL]
Lived in Valley Stream for 53 years and of course things have changed from the 60's, 70's. The population has increased overall on Long Island, so it is a bit more congested. It is a safe neighborhood though, schools are good, we have beautiful parks, library and community pool, activities through out the year for children and more.We are close to New York City, where as you know there is an abundance of activities and neighboring towns have many things to do too. We are about 25 minutes to great beaches, short commute to city and taxes are more reasonable here than most other places on Long Island. It is much less congested here than Queens for sure. The best thing for you to do would be to drive around neighborhoods and check them out. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
Default Valley Stream a nice place to live

I've lived here all my life 66 yrs, I retired and toured to see other offerings and we decided we have what we need. Your 14 miles from Manhattan. If you get bored it's because you don't take Advantage of what's there. We have a shopping center a major hub and if it looks old you've been out of the area a long time, We have many houses of worship. Schools are highly rated. We have great transportation options. LIRR, Bus and roadways like SSP, LIE, etc they do get congested at rush hour but its suburbia , that's what you expect. People keep there home nice and when you see new construction that shows a viable progressive economy. It's not Mayberry RFD. The Government has always been active in supporting youth groups and the parents are well involved in schools , education and Sports. Is there crime of course but is it bad hardly. Im in the Volunteer Fire Dept 48 yrs. We see the realities . instead I spewing nonsense it's easy to fact check what's really going on. I'm a locksmith second career and it's not a problem given the size and proximity to NYC. We have housing, Senior apartment complex's, we have luxury apartments, nice multi ethnic area. Has Valley Stream Changed you bet but that's not such a bad thing. I live across the street from a Junior high school, a High school and a few blocks from a grammar school we have have people moving in and investing heavily to upgrade and enlarge there homes single family living.. Like I said it's not pastoral but it's a damn good place to raise a family We have entertainment, good quality health care,great transportation into and out of NYC, excellent Fire Police and Rescue services, Library , public Pool. excellent schools. Perfect no but you can say that about any place you look. In my view the Taxes are the worst of it as was previously mentioned, you have grown children or no children and you dont want to pay the school taxes.. NYS school system is based on a shared responsibility. You take the living and what it offers as a package.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlincoln View Post
I would never live in Valley Stream. Schools are terrible. What a joke rated best place to live!
What about Valley Stream 24? Isn't that good?

Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What about Valley Stream 24? Isn't that good?
They’re all fine. Much better than fine according to Great Schools, for whatever that’s worth.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
They’re all fine. Much better than fine according to Great Schools, for whatever that’s worth.
I guess anything short of top tier is terrible for some CD posters

Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM

184 posts, read 227,789 times
Grew up there, would not buy a house there today.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM

46 posts, read 78,178 times
So TY everyone. I looked at Valley Stream in person. Nothing great, nothing horrible.

The problem is a lot of infighting between the people and the Village government due to a lack of trust.

I also found out they are going full steam ahead to create several new rental apartment buildings cheek by jowl to residential homes.

I suggest for people looking to buy in a community to find open Facebook pages for the community. I found a few for Valley Stream and I am so glad I did. The information about the planned urbanization was well worth it so I could avoid that place. They also post "police helicopter" threads where everybody speculates on what crime is happening at the moment. A convenience store got robbed at gunpoint twice in one week! That's in addition to all the other bad things going on there. I'm glad I read the FB pages so I didn't consider it any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island