Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Prices going up and everyone on this board always claiming that no one wants to live here - people leaving in droves - yadda yadda yadda. I've been hearing this mass exodus narrative since the 1980s. Yet, real estate prices in Nassau are going up.... go figure!
I remember when that "Save the Oak Beach Inn" guy was driving around 30+ years ago telling us that LI was imploding and everyone was fleeing from the high taxes, etc. Run for your lives. Always a few suckers to buy the panicky jive. I long suspected he ran a moving van company or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“Willing” is a strong word. “Needing to” is probably more correct. Nobody really wants to commute 3 hours a day.
They look at what their budget buys in, let's say New Hyde Park. Then the see what that amount buys in Western Suffolk and think of the little snowflakes with a big yard, quiet street and enough room. Almost no contest.

BTW, word is anything east of Rt. 111, out to Riverhead, is pretty hard to sell. That being said, houses in Smithtown, Commack and Huntington are selling fairly briskly.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I remember when that "Save the Oak Beach Inn" guy was driving around 30+ years ago telling us that LI was imploding and everyone was fleeing from the high taxes, etc. Run for your lives. Always a few suckers to buy the panicky jive. I long suspected he ran a moving van company or something.
Actually, if you're not in a union, doctor or ambulance chaser, you're most likely commuting to NYC. Figure an average of 90 minutes on the commute plus all of that aggrevation. Believe me, out migration on LI is alive and well, as it is in CT and NJ. Because of those reasons you've etc'd.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Actually, if you're not in a union, doctor or ambulance chaser, you're most likely commuting to NYC. Figure an average of 90 minutes on the commute plus all of that aggrevation. Believe me, out migration on LI is alive and well, as it is in CT and NJ. Because of those reasons you've etc'd.
Certainly not a surprise NYC, one of the largest and wealthiest cities on the planet, has an enormous economic influence in its region.
Also no doubt folks move into and out of NYC’s suburbs and region. Traditionally immigrants and city folks moving in and others (including older folks) moving out.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-27-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 05:00 PM

190 posts, read 152,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Not a dig at OP, but this isn't "news", Newsday. This has been the case for over a year. I still believe it's a bubble, but with a burst date TBD. Could be 3 years. Could be 10 years. No one knows. But I've been saying for months that with capes in mediocre areas going for 550K, it's pretty insane and as they say in economics "it can't continue like this"/"what goes up must come down", etc.
one place i think will burst is Levittown. There is where you'll find the most houses up for sale, and at some ridiculous prices. To make matters worse, Levittown taxes seem to be the highest in Nassau. If anyone buys in, I dont see how they'll ever be able to sell without taking a loss.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:04 PM

190 posts, read 152,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They are leaving in droves.
And coming in droves.
Its a wash.
I wish they would leave and not come back or be replaced.
Let's make LI like it was in 1880 again!
make america great again huh

Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
make america great again huh
Totally.
Smaller government. No internet. Far less rules and regulations or restrictions.
More open space; no traffic.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:09 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
They look at what their budget buys in, let's say New Hyde Park. Then the see what that amount buys in Western Suffolk and think of the little snowflakes with a big yard, quiet street and enough room. Almost no contest.

BTW, word is anything east of Rt. 111, out to Riverhead, is pretty hard to sell. That being said, houses in Smithtown, Commack and Huntington are selling fairly briskly.
Houses in my area of Stony Brook are selling within a month of listing.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:

And where did you find this pearl? My Stony Brook neighborhood is seeing a fair number of houses sold in a reasonable amount of time for decent prices.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And where did you find this pearl? My Stony Brook neighborhood is seeing a fair number of houses sold in a reasonable amount of time for decent prices.
Of course there are outliers and Stony Brook/Setauket is an excellent area. I haven't seen such brisk sales, but then again I don't look in this area.

Nevertheless, I plan to put my humble aboad on the market next month, so I'm hoping what you'all are saying about fast sales cycles applies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island