Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,271,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Have never been there, and not considering it.
Don't waste your time. It's gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
While you can certainly compare LI to rural KS, you can also compare LI to other places less remote. You're right that there is a lot at your fingertips, but there are a lot of fingertips looking at those same places. If LI were its own state it'd be the most densely populated (like 4x NJ). That of course includes Queens and Brooklyn.

I've been to wineries on LI. Nice. Does it compare with Napa/Sonoma? Not even close. How about to wine growing regions in France and Australia? Nope. You can argue that it's a lot easier to get to the LI wineries and you are correct. But how many times do you really go to them?

This is not a dig specifically at LI. As a bedroom community for NYC it's got its strengths and weaknesses. But given the COL and QOL issues I'm not sure it rates highly on the "I really want to live there" scale for anyone other than native Long Islanders.
LI is not for everyone but truthfully for me, I love it and that says a lot because I have traveled extensively both around the country & the world.

I love the LI wineries better than Napa & the ones in Europe. I am kind of a wine snob and I find LI wine the tastiest - not b/c I live here - but really, it's delicious!

I go the wineries a few times a year. I would go a lot more if I lived closer but from Nassau it's a schlep. But besides Napa and here (& upstate perhaps), where else in the country do they have such a wine culture that is akin to what is found here? For me, it's a reason I stay, I love wine and they also have music especially in the winter they have jazz and it's a lot of fun to make a day out of it.

LI is what you make it but if you want to live here there is always a way.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,093,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I love the LI wineries better than Napa & the ones in Europe. I am kind of a wine snob and I find LI wine the tastiest - not b/c I live here - but really, it's delicious!
Interesting. What are your favorite wineries and wines on LI?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,806,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I had been on here since 2009. We had our daughter and saved up to buy in Huntington, imagined her school and younger years in LI.

I’m originally from Miami born and raised, and LI reminded me a lot of suburb Miami. I liked it from a distance for so long. We lived in Queens for 8 years before we bought our house. Now we’ve lived in Huntington (Elwood) for 1 year, and while the neighborhood is plenty nice and activities are cool- it’s not me. There isn’t enough gong on and it’s lonely and old fashioned/geriatric a bit. I can’t imagine living here another 5-10-15 years.

I’ve been to LA 3 times since this summer, and I’m loving it. I think the suburby neighborhoods have plenty of young families and kids, and my daughter could have an amazing childhood there too. I find LI lonely and very sternly . We don’t have any family or friends in the area. Even if we make friends, I don’t see ifeel right now.

Disclosure- I’m not interested in moving back to Miami.

What can you tell me? Should we just go? I’m not interested in buying property in LA right now. All we want is a little space, the lifestyle and to feel alive.
Good luck with the nasty ding dong responses on here.

Frankly, I agree, LI is a vanilla, judgmental, keep up with the joneses, heavily leveraged emperor with no clothes. But it's NY and NY is the best place in the world (I mean that sincerely, no joke), I've been all over and lived all over and it's the greatest place to "be from." Whether the perception is positive or negative, they either love you or hate you and if they love you it's great and if they hate you they stay out of your way. Whether they admit it or not, they PREFER to hire NYers because we have work ethics some of these warm climates can't imagine.

That said, I can't understand how anyone making under $500k survives in or near LA and that explains the insane commutes and traffic. I don't know how people making under $250k get ahead on LI, but that's half!! You want to own a house, better be out in the desert where the schools are awful, the houses are "cheap" at only $800k and the commute is 2 hrs each way by car with limited mass transit. Wages are pretty similar to here but housing is insanely priced, including rentals.

If I thought I could own a house and make double what I make here for the same job, LA would be sweet. I'd kill to live south between LA and San Diego (Carlsbad, etc) but homes start at $1m and they aint all that and a bag o' chips and commuting to South LA would be 1.5hrs without traffic. Better off outside Austin which is becoming little LA anyway. Nothing but expat NYers and Calis there. You won't find many native Texans in Austin these days...and accordingly, home prices and taxes are soaring (our biggest export is retired political hacks who take their corrupt schemes to Florida, Arizona and Texas and get elected to local legislatures).

So I say good luck and if the will is there, you'll make it work. The gold rush is long over, unless you're in the entertainment industry, but it's still a sweet place to live. Most of my friends who moved out there were very successful, but they were very motivated, talented, hungry and YOUNG. They wouldn't be able to pull it off at 50 and with kids in tow, it would be an adventure (which could be good or bad, depending). Good luck!

Last edited by monstermagnet; 01-31-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
LI is not for everyone but truthfully for me, I love it and that says a lot because I have traveled extensively both around the country & the world.

I go the wineries a few times a year. I would go a lot more if I lived closer but from Nassau it's a schlep. But besides Napa and here (& upstate perhaps), where else in the country do they have such a wine culture that is akin to what is found here? For me, it's a reason I stay, I love wine and they also have music especially in the winter they have jazz and it's a lot of fun to make a day out of it.

LI is what you make it but if you want to live here there is always a way.
Wow, we've added to the BIG LIST:
Bagels, beaches, pizza and now wine. Yippee.

As for beaches, I'd say Cali kicks the living crap out of LI. Can't even bring your dog to a LI beach legally, even in the winter. Pretty lame.

I'd venture many outside suffolk would argue the quality of Cali wines in general over Long Island's slim offerings, although it's a nice thing for the gals to do for a day trip.

As for jazz, NY has that won by a mile, but of course it's all in Manhattan, not the lounge trios at the north fork wineries. Not exactly the Blue Note or Iridium.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Interesting. What are your favorite wineries and wines on LI?
I like Pindar & Pellegrini wines & vineyard.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM

19,587 posts, read 20,416,974 times
Y'all hafta stop by the Hot Karl Homestead when y'all be hitting the wineries.
I have plenty of chocolate milk and home made chocolate chip cookies.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wow, we've added to the BIG LIST:
Bagels, beaches, pizza and now wine. Yippee.

As for beaches, I'd say Cali kicks the living crap out of LI. Can't even bring your dog to a LI beach legally, even in the winter. Pretty lame.

I'd venture many outside suffolk would argue the quality of Cali wines in general over Long Island's slim offerings, although it's a nice thing for the gals to do for a day trip.

As for jazz, NY has that won by a mile, but of course it's all in Manhattan, not the lounge trios at the north fork wineries. Not exactly the Blue Note or Iridium.
Good because some people don't pick up after them and I enjoy going to a beach that is free of poop. I own a dog, so it's no dog hate, but unfortunately not everyone picks up after their pooch.

Winterfest On The Vine is a yearly winter event for jazz & wine and it's some of the most amazing jazz musicians (many of them LIers themselves).

Li isn't for everyone, I realize that.. door's that way

Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Good because some people don't pick up after them and I enjoy going to a beach that is free of poop. I own a dog, so it's no dog hate, but unfortunately not everyone picks up after their pooch.

Winterfest On The Vine is a yearly winter event for jazz & wine and it's some of the most amazing jazz musicians (many of them LIers themselves).

Li isn't for everyone, I realize that.. door's that way
6 more years and you can pick up my taxes.

I'm not talking about the Jones Beach concourse. It's illegal everywhere. With the massive stretch of barely accessible beach we have from west to east, that dog poop excuse doesn't hold water. Just more Nimby doo doo. "Hold water, doo doo"...see what I did there.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
6 more years and you can pick up my taxes.

I'm not talking about the Jones Beach concourse. It's illegal everywhere. With the massive stretch of barely accessible beach we have from west to east, that dog poop excuse doesn't hold water. Just more Nimby doo doo. "Hold water, doo doo"...see what I did there.
Some parks do allow dogs... beaches, not sure.

That said, no matter how you slice it... if you allow dogs, people get mad when there's poop everywhere... if you don't allow dogs, people get mad that they aren't allowed... so what's the answer.

In the scheme of things, for me, the pros far outweigh the cons here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island