Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM

418 posts, read 367,343 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how ritzy areas came to be known as ritzy? I sort of doubt it's just housing stock, because there are some stunning houses in every single zip code of Nassau County, as well as some ugly klunkers. It can't just be school district. Locust Valley is known as low-cost valley and with good reason, if I can afford a house there it ain't that fancy, and it's rated better than Garden City. So is Bellmore-Merrick, which I also don't consider a ritzy locale. I'm not just picking on GC. You have to be a millionaire to live in Manhasset and you probably should if you live in Roslyn, and Hewlett beats them both out.

Is it crime stats? Overall per capita of wealthy people/high priced homes? Just general hearsay and public perception?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 05:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Money and the cost of housing immediately come to mind.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:28 PM

428 posts, read 969,794 times
Idk but to me, Garden City is the best prettiest most fun town in LI.

It’s such a small town and they have work, activities for families, good gyms, great restaurants, apartment and home living, a little downtown, shopping and a good crowd (young and old).

Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Upscale housing stock. Garden City has some more modest blocks, but it was designed to be upscale from the start. Valley Stream was always blue collar to middle class, with the housing stock to match. Valley Stream has some nice neighborhoods but nothing truly upscale. Valley Stream wasn’t planned in one coherent plan like Garden City was, either.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Alotta money.
I hate Garden City.
Terribly over rated.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Garden City was one of the first - if not the first - planned communities on Long Island. While there are nice houses in every single zip code of Nassau, many if not most towns are a mish mosh of housing and development. Garden City was a town built for WASP-y executives, had two thriving private schools and the GC Hotel which was the centerpiece of the village. It was built to be ritzy. There are plenty of 6000 square foot and up houses there.

I lived in GC for 13 years, and I'm not sure I'd characterize it as the most fun town on LI. That's a head scratcher of a statement to me, but I grew up in Huntington. Now that was a fun town.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:08 PM

428 posts, read 969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Garden City was one of the first - if not the first - planned communities on Long Island. While there are nice houses in every single zip code of Nassau, many if not most towns are a mish mosh of housing and development. Garden City was a town built for WASP-y executives, had two thriving private schools and the GC Hotel which was the centerpiece of the village. It was built to be ritzy. There are plenty of 6000 square foot and up houses there.

I lived in GC for 13 years, and I'm not sure I'd characterize it as the most fun town on LI. That's a head scratcher of a statement to me, but I grew up in Huntington. Now that was a fun town.
I actually do live in Huntington. And I’m originally from Miami. None of your towns are fun, guys. I was being modest! So yes, I can see how that one was a head scratcher lol. I’m trying to leave now bc of LI’s snoozefest lifestyle

Old 01-26-2018, 09:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
Manhasset, Garden City, and Cold Spring Harbor are pretty much the only upscale, white, Christian towns on the Island. If that's something that appeals to you, there basically aren't any other choices. Rockville Centre, Hewlett, Roslyn, Jericho, Syosset, etc., are all very nice, but far more diverse, particularly in their Asian and Jewish demographics.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I actually do live in Huntington. And I’m originally from Miami. None of your towns are fun, guys. I was being modest! So yes, I can see how that one was a head scratcher lol. I’m trying to leave now bc of LI’s snoozefest lifestyle
That's suburbia, dude. Most people live in the suburbs because of the safe, snoozefest lifestyle. You sound like a city person trying to force yourself into the suburban mold. It's not gonna work no matter which suburb in whatever state you move to. I would look for a state where the suburbs are building more "urban core" type developments, they appeal to the younger set and have more of the vibe you're looking for. Because that's never gonna happen on Long Island. And you're probably finding that while most Long Islanders say "I could never move away from living in the shadow of NYC!" the vast majority of them rarely make the trek unless they work there.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Manhasset, Garden City, and Cold Spring Harbor are pretty much the only upscale, white, Christian towns on the Island. .
Yup and people who grow in those towns love to go back and live there and they become more and more provincial as the years go by. If you try to plan a kids' birthday party outside the borders, people are like "OMG HOW DO I GET THERE?!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island