Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:04 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times

Advertisements

My friend's husband works as an auditor for the IRS on LI. He previously had a LI private sector job, lost that, then hit the jackpot when hired by the federal government. It helps being a CPA.

Public sector in one form or another is the way to go on LI for most people (not doctors or lawyers) — unless you're willing to haul butt on the LIRR to earn the big dineros in the city.

Newsday ran an article a few months ago listing the 10 biggest employers on LI. On the list were various school districts, towns, etc. The public sector economy is yuuuuge on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My friend's husband works as an auditor for the IRS on LI. He previously had a LI private sector job, lost that, then hit the jackpot when hired by the federal government. It helps being a CPA.

Public sector in one form or another is the way to go on LI for most people (not doctors or lawyers) — unless you're willing to haul butt on the LIRR to earn the big dineros in the city.

Newsday ran an article a few months ago listing the 10 biggest employers on LI. On the list were various school districts, towns, etc. The public sector economy is yuuuuge on LI.
What are these 'big dineros' you speak of?

Old 02-02-2018, 03:36 PM

245 posts, read 319,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Been job hunting the past few months, seems pretty bleek actually and I'm in the accounting field. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything about the job market here lately? Are jobs leaving? or are people just not leaving their positions? Or maybe it's just been a slow few months...
Are you a CPA or eligible to sit for the CPA? If so and you can't get a job I'd be shocked in this market. Worst case, look in NYC.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

CPA's are in demand in every sector and part of the country. With the new tax plan, it will further the accountant/auditor stimulus plan in the public and private sectors.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:29 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
You have to be a cop, teacher, or work in Manhattan in order to survive on LI.
Nothing else counts or matters.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:09 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You have to be a cop, teacher, or work in Manhattan in order to survive on LI.
Nothing else counts or matters.
Also landscapers

Old 02-02-2018, 06:21 PM

36 posts, read 36,155 times
I work in the environmental testing and remediation field and we're hiring all the time but lately we've been having trouble finding qualified people.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:27 PM

How hard can it be to scoop up some dirt and throw it in a test tube?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:35 PM

36 posts, read 36,155 times
hahaha, you'd be surprised but I meant more on the science and engineering side of things. It comes in waves though, like a couple years ago we had no problem filling those positions but lately for whatever reason we've been having trouble.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattopcowboy View Post
hahaha, you'd be surprised but I meant more on the science and engineering side of things. It comes in waves though, like a couple years ago we had no problem filling those positions but lately for whatever reason we've been having trouble.
Damn.
I would have gladly taken a job scooping up dirt all day at $100k a year.
I'm uneducated but competent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island