U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 AM

131 posts, read 507,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Go to the Hicksville School District Website or go look up its New York State Report Card.

Unfortunately or fortunately, it all depends, Hicksville is now known as little India.
I would say fortunately. When you look at the faces of the kids that are always in newsday winning the science awards, they are mostly asian and indian. Damn, most of the damn doctors nowadays are indian too!

Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM

131 posts, read 507,443 times
Quote:
You got it right: There is no where to run.
Everyone has options, maybe you did not make the right financial decisions earlier in life that would enable you to live in an area that was more suited to meet your needs. Until then, we'll tolerate you on here.

Anthony

Old 04-13-2008, 03:14 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,079,506 times
Default Presumptuous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
Everyone has options, maybe you did not make the right financial decisions earlier in life that would enable you to live in an area that was more suited to meet your needs. Until then, we'll tolerate you on here.

Anthony
Quite Presumptuous Anthony.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:11 PM

85 posts, read 228,518 times
Quote:
My preoccupation with the school districts is that we are getting killed with property taxes.
My school taxes do not bother me, and my kids are getting a great quality education. I know my neighbors feel the same way, since our budget always passes.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 PM

16,591 posts, read 27,233,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post
My school taxes do not bother me, and my kids are getting a great quality education. I know my neighbors feel the same way, since our budget always passes.
Budgets aren't always passed because of 'quality educations.' There is a fear factor that failed budgets, reduced programs = lower property values.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 PM

267 posts, read 1,015,374 times
Just jumping in here from another board.
Simply put - LI is very segregated. If you have ever lived anywhere else other than LI - you would agree.
Most other parts of the country, people of all different races live on the same street.
I just moved to FL (job transfer, not my choice) and when my mom came to visit for the first time, she was shocked because I have three black families on my street and all the kids (whites and blacks) were outside playing together. She hasn't been off of LI in 30 years and this was shocking to her. But you know what, she thought it was a great thing.
It teaches children to be more tolerant and accepting of other cultures. Something that I think alot more of us need to be.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:11 AM

24 posts, read 99,995 times
Default Statistical data

Quote:
Sounds interesting. I'd like to see those studies.

The NY Times published a series on social class in America-and its implications for the way we live our lives. It was very revealing and it was eventually complied in a book format, if you are curious click on the following NY Times link and view some of the statistical trends, as they relate to education, health, marriage, immigration, class and culture.

Class Matters - Social Class in the United States of America - The New York Times

In the book "Class Matters", a team of New York Times reporters explore the ways in which class is defined as a combination of income, education, wealth, and occupation-influences destiny.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 PM

8,148 posts, read 17,724,795 times
Very interesting link. Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 11,058 times
unbelievable, your research is quite commendable!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM

48 posts, read 119,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
As far as not being comfortable in certain areas I can understand if your talking about a high crime area, but to sit there & compare Valley Stream to Hempstead is down right ludicrous. Nassau County is more diverse now than it ever has been, yet the crime rate is at 43 year lows and also has decreased in areas which were once vast majority white and now aren't (such as Valley Stream). So what does that tell you?? Stop judging things based off the color of peoples skin and look at reality. About sending your kid there, as any parent I hope first & foremost you put the quality of your child's education above the color of the people they are attending school with. Can you sit there and honestly say you think your kid would be better off in a school that is 3/4 white like William Floyd than they would in 1/3 white like Valley Stream Central?
Great Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island