U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,103,628 times

Advertisements

I think the numbers are informative in many ways. Obviously Long Island is changing and becoming more diverse. I personally see race as divider being increasingly replaced by class. Also, I think the old rules about a school's quality and diversity have to rethought.

Some of the best School Districts are also some of the more diverse ones. There are three examples that come to mind, Herricks, Great Neck and Half Hollow Hills. All three are outstanding. These are followed by the increasingly diverse Syosset, Jericho and Roslyn. What all six of these districts have in common, besides diversity, is that they are all middle and upper middle class districts. They have tremendous amounts of resources.

Another point I want to make is that with increasing diversity, especially in Nassau county, is that it makes sense to consolidate the districts to lower taxes and provide equal access to educational resources. As the racial dividing lines are breaking down the class lines should also be broken down.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 AM

123 posts, read 575,332 times
Just want to point out that literacy and academic achievement is more closely tied to socio-economics (and education level of the parents) than race/ethnicity. If anyone's interested I'll attempt to find the studies I'm thinking of.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,981,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
I have some close Korean friends who moved to Garden City a few years ago. Their children have not been harrassed or anything like that but the kids and the parents are dismayed over the lack of diversity. They will be putting their house up for rent and moving to another, more diverse school district. I have emailed them this thread...believe me this info is useful for many!!!
Yes, from '05-'06, Whites increased from 95% to 96%, and now has been back down down to 95%.

Diversiry is not a stron suit of GC if you are looking for racial diversity. We do have Irish, Italians, English, Greeks, and others. Also, we have people in finance, law, advertising, etc.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Many of these districts were formerly "mostly" Jewish, and now Asians have been moving in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I think the numbers are informative in many ways. Obviously Long Island is changing and becoming more diverse. I personally see race as divider being increasingly replaced by class. Also, I think the old rules about a school's quality and diversity have to rethought.

Some of the best School Districts are also some of the more diverse ones. There are three examples that come to mind, Herricks, Great Neck and Half Hollow Hills. All three are outstanding. These are followed by the increasingly diverse Syosset, Jericho and Roslyn. What all six of these districts have in common, besides diversity, is that they are all middle and upper middle class districts. They have tremendous amounts of resources.

Another point I want to make is that with increasing diversity, especially in Nassau county, is that it makes sense to consolidate the districts to lower taxes and provide equal access to educational resources. As the racial dividing lines are breaking down the class lines should also be broken down.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,103,628 times
Default True: Asians are following in their foot steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Many of these districts were formerly "mostly" Jewish, and now Asians have been moving in.
True in many respects. Jews and many Asians share similar values. Both groups have a deep commitment to giving their kids a quality education. So districts like Herricks, Syosset, Jericho, Great Neck and Roslyn which once had very large Jewish student bodies are slowly being replaced by Koreans, Chinese, Indians and other Asian groups. Those districts are still producing most of Long Island's best and brightest.

What has happened to Long Island's Jewish students. They are still in the above districts, but in decreasing amounts as they are displaced by Asians. However, (and this is my opinion based on anecdotal evidence) many younger secular or reformed Jewish families are moving into Plainview-Old Bethpage, Commack and to a lesser degree Half Hollow Hills. It seems that the more Orthodox Jews are moving to Lawrence, West Hempstead and Plainview. Yet, from what I know, they don't send their kids to the public schools.

Another issue for the Jewish population on Long Island is that the size of the population is stagnant or declining due to a very low birth rate. There just aren't that many Jewish kids today as there once were. The Orthodox Jews do tend to have bigger families, but their numbers are not felt in the public schools.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,757,510 times
Default Useful Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
I have some close Korean friends who moved to Garden City a few years ago. Their children have not been harrassed or anything like that but the kids and the parents are dismayed over the lack of diversity. They will be putting their house up for rent and moving to another, more diverse school district. I have emailed them this thread...believe me this info is useful for many!!!
Yeah they should move to a much more diverse area! Diversity is a good learning experience. It will toughen those kids right up.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,318,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Just want to point out that literacy and academic achievement is more closely tied to socio-economics (and education level of the parents) than race/ethnicity. If anyone's interested I'll attempt to find the studies I'm thinking of.
I think most people realize this is the case. Still, I'd like to see the studies. It sounds interesting.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM

One of the more interesting issues on LI is in 5 towns, especially Lawrence, I think. Used to be more "LI jews" but now the Orthodox are moving in in large amounts. They took over the downtown and the school boards, and appear to be of the mindset to cut some services, etc. b/c all of their kids go to Hebrew schools. A co-worker of mine is one of the "old school" 5 towns people and they are not very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
True in many respects. Jews and many Asians share similar values. Both groups have a deep commitment to giving their kids a quality education. So districts like Herricks, Syosset, Jericho, Great Neck and Roslyn which once had very large Jewish student bodies are slowly being replaced by Koreans, Chinese, Indians and other Asian groups. Those districts are still producing most of Long Island's best and brightest.

What has happened to Long Island's Jewish students. They are still in the above districts, but in decreasing amounts as they are displaced by Asians. However, (and this is my opinion based on anecdotal evidence) many younger secular or reformed Jewish families are moving into Plainview-Old Bethpage, Commack and to a lesser degree Half Hollow Hills. It seems that the more Orthodox Jews are moving to Lawrence, West Hempstead and Plainview. Yet, from what I know, they don't send their kids to the public schools.

Another issue for the Jewish population on Long Island is that the size of the population is stagnant or declining due to a very low birth rate. There just aren't that many Jewish kids today as there once were. The Orthodox Jews do tend to have bigger families, but their numbers are not felt in the public schools.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:53 PM

8,167 posts, read 17,908,802 times

I also think that the regular old LI Jewish people that we all grew up with tend to intermarry & the Orthodox Jewish people do not .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 PM

79 posts, read 279,376 times
Why not start a post based on overall test scores such as reading and math on the state standardize exams, instead of race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island