U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM

220 posts, read 896,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I don't think you can honestly say LI is still that segregated. Just look at the data that I provided at the start of this thread. There are only Five school districts that are 95% plus White and only a few in the 90% plus range. Compare those stats to the 1960s, 1970s or even the 1980s and you can clearly see the magnitude of change in diversity that is now sweeping through Long Island.
But within these towns and school districts, people stay very much with like-people. There can be 33% each white/black/hispanic, but you're far more likely to find racial tension and segregation than integration, even though the families live in the same town and their children go to school with one another. The town may be "diverse," but the varous ethnic groups remain segregated from one another. I've seen this where there is a socio-economic difference between ethnicities as well as where there isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,980,582 times
Thumbs down Are YOU serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Are you serious???

Long Island is pretty diverse these days.

As of 2006 according to the US Census Bureau Nassau County is 69% White and Suffolk is 74% White. Expect the White percentage to have declined a few points for both counties by the time the 2010 census figures are reported. Long Island is changing and becoming more diverse.
Your statistics look nice on paper, but...for the most part, as I stated before, people are living segregated. Okay, so it is less white, but that doesn't mean that every town is becoming more diverse. Let's be honest. For the most part, there are towns that are primarily inhabited by hispanic and black people...Hempstead, Uniondale, Brentwood, etc. There may be the occasional family who "crosses the racial lines" and moves into primarily white neighborhoods. But the number is not much. Your "stats" indicate what everyone else on this thread is saying...the schools with the least white are the primarily black/hispanic neighborhoods. And the schools that fall in the middle and upper are primarily non-white due to Asian percentage. Who really cares?

You're making this big stink about how only FIVE school districts have only 95% or higher white population...and??? What is your point exactly??? You seem to be really troubled by this figure. So, if a graduating class of 200 has 10 people who are non white (gasp---oh, the horror!), you're saying that those are the best odds at keeping Long Island white?

I guess if we were able to re-institute the segregated school systems, maybe put the blacks on the back of the bus again, and install those seperate water fountains, maybe your percentages would work more in your favor, right?

Why did you start this thread and throw out statistics? You wanted SOME sort of response. And you kept it safe by only throwing out numbers at first in order to keep the thread up and running. Just come out and say what you really think! We're not keeping it white enough for you, right?? Lots of people are racist, but you have to be some hypocrite on top of it too? Figures.

I'm not responding to this thread anymore...and, quite frankly, I am VERY disappointed the thread hasn't been taken down yet.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM

17,936 posts, read 13,566,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Your statistics look nice on paper, but...for the most part, as I stated before, people are living segregated. Okay, so it is less white, but that doesn't mean that every town is becoming more diverse. Let's be honest. For the most part, there are towns that are primarily inhabited by hispanic and black people...Hempstead, Uniondale, Brentwood, etc. There may be the occasional family who "crosses the racial lines" and moves into primarily white neighborhoods. But the number is not much. Your "stats" indicate what everyone else on this thread is saying...the schools with the least white are the primarily black/hispanic neighborhoods. And the schools that fall in the middle and upper are primarily non-white due to Asian percentage. Who really cares?

You're making this big stink about how only FIVE school districts have only 95% or higher white population...and??? What is your point exactly??? You seem to be really troubled by this figure. So, if a graduating class of 200 has 10 people who are non white (gasp---oh, the horror!), you're saying that those are the best odds at keeping Long Island white?

I guess if we were able to re-institute the segregated school systems, maybe put the blacks on the back of the bus again, and install those seperate water fountains, maybe your percentages would work more in your favor, right?

Why did you start this thread and throw out statistics? You wanted SOME sort of response. And you kept it safe by only throwing out numbers at first in order to keep the thread up and running. Just come out and say what you really think! We're not keeping it white enough for you, right?? Lots of people are racist, but you have to be some hypocrite on top of it too? Figures.

I'm not responding to this thread anymore...and, quite frankly, I am VERY disappointed the thread hasn't been taken down yet.
I actually think he was suggesting it was a good thing that the number of districts that are 95% white is only 5 as opposed to a few decades ago when it was much higher than that.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,008,739 times
Default You got it all wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post

You got it all wrong...

Does your definition of diversity only include Blacks and Hispanics? Asians don't count? Why?

All I'm trying to do is have a civil discussion about diversity on Long Island. The only point that I am stressing is that diversity is increasing on Long Island. All I can say is look at the statistics - too many White Long Islanders are in some sort of denial about their own neighborhoods and/or school districts. They seem to believe that their neighborhood is still in some 1950s time warp, but the reality is different.

The point about the only Five 95% White districts is just to underscore my point about increasing diversity. Forty years ago almost all of Long Islands districts were over 95% White and now just Five. How can anyone claim that diversity is not happening and that de facto segregation (while still widespread) is breaking down finally.

My main thrust with this discussion anyway relates to an earlier post about consolidating Long Islands School Districts. Of course that drew tremendous opposition from people who fear integration. So I am just showing that whether school consolidation happens or not diversity will find its way into every school district on Long Island. So those who oppose consolidation are going to lose their 90% White school districts anyway. Its time Long Islanders put aside this system of maintaining 120 separate school districts and just consolidate down to two county wide districts.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 8,298 times
Wow, what I find more interesting than what the racial make up of long island schools is is the kind of people that are found there. In deciding where to look for homes I wanted to know what the average income and education level were around these neighborhoods, not so much what the color of everyone's skin was. In moving to LI from Queens I realized that people are much more separated. I grew up in Bayside where there were Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, and Whites and the property value goes up every day, the schools are great and there aren't any dangerous gangs. The average home costs over $700,000 - people take care of their homes and have the best school district in all of Queens. I wonder why LI can't be more like that. Why are there such extremes between say Garden City and say Hempstead? Obviously some people are brought into this world with wealth and many advantages but what about normal middle class people? I guess I don't understand why there are good neighborhoods like Wantagh and Merrick - primarily white and then Freeport and Baldwin primarily non white? Shouldn't the solution be that better schools and programs can help these less advantaged neighborhoods blossom?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:14 AM

659 posts, read 2,001,043 times
I think some people are only thinking along certain racial lines when they see the diversity statistics...particulary forgetting Asians..who seem to do very well in school.

I checked out the school report card for Island Trees District in Levittown 2006 and 2007 and got the breakdown racially.

It is 86% white
9% Hispanic
5% Asian
0% Black

I don't think these stastics are bad or show an overwhelming influx of minorities as someone posted previously. I think people really need to look at the statistics before they categorize areas as changing. I don't think 90 hispanic students out of almost 900 students means the area is shot.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM

208 posts, read 747,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Look at Valley Stream right now. Everything I read about VS on here tells me that it's a dump. You go to Green Acres Mall you get shot, the schools are awful and infested with gangs, "it's not the same", etc., etc....but anecdotal evidence is unreliable. When I look at statistics I see that all three VS high schools are now under 50% white. When I look at the test scores I see all three high schools do great. When I look up statistics regarding income I see the median isn't any different from surrounding white majority areas, kids in the schools aren't on free lunch programs, poverty levels are very low. When I look up crime statistics I see a decrease in the last decade. When I drive around Valley Stream I see the homes look exactly the same as they did ten years ago when they were full of Italian and Jewish families, the types of cars in the driveway are the same as they were.....the only difference is when I see people walking around their skin is darker....
I wasn't going to do this, but I feel like I have no choice. I have lived in VS my entire life with the exception of a few years in the middle of my life. I am 33 years old, and this town resembles NOTHING of the town I grew up in. I am not talking about the skin color of the people walking around either, while obviously this has changed, but with it, so has the entire landscape, feel, and character of the town. It doesn't matter to me what the test scores say, because in my opinion, what really matters is personal experience, and I no longer feel comfortable in this town that I have spent the better part of my life in.

there is just a shift here, and I am uncomfortable here as a white family. I feel like a minority in this town right now, the only place where I can go where there is an appropriate mix of people is either church or to Ancona's pizza. I went to BJs today at the Green Acres Mall, and yes I think I saw maybe one other white person in the entire store with me. The other people there were not bothering me, they were just normal shoppers doing their own thing, BUT, it was VERY uncomfortable to say the least. I might as well had been shopping in Hempstead the way it felt in there.

So people blatantly want to call you racist or a "white flighter" if you want to move out of a place like Valley Stream, but honestly, and I believe someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread, it's a matter of comfort in most cases I believe. This town is a perfect example of so called test scores remaining high, but a complete sense of change in the town with the influx of the black and hispanics. We want our children to grow up with some semblance of the life we had when we grew up, and unfortunately, there are not going to get that here, so it was time to move on to try to find it somewhere else.

you really need to be a resident in one of these towns to truly appreciate what the feeling is like. Because if you don't experience it, you can never truly describe it or talk about it, because all you can really base your opinion on is statistics, which really don't always tell the whole story.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM

Default Island Trees is trending towards more diversity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I think some people are only thinking along certain racial lines when they see the diversity statistics...particulary forgetting Asians..who seem to do very well in school.

I checked out the school report card for Island Trees District in Levittown 2006 and 2007 and got the breakdown racially.

It is 86% white
9% Hispanic
5% Asian
0% Black

I don't think these stastics are bad or show an overwhelming influx of minorities as someone posted previously. I think people really need to look at the statistics before they categorize areas as changing. I don't think 90 hispanic students out of almost 900 students means the area is shot.
I don't think anyone on this thread posted anything about Island Trees being shot. Please see my post about Levittown and class. Levittown will always remain what it has always been no matter the race or ethnicity of the people - Levittown is a working class suburb of Nassau County.

BUT, Island Trees is definitely trending towards more diversity. You are giving old percentages. Updated percentages show Island Trees at 83.8% White and that percentage is declining year by year - my guess is that the Hispanic percentage is increase is accelerating.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Class is your determining factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicamonica View Post
Wow, what I find more interesting than what the racial make up of long island schools is is the kind of people that are found there. In deciding where to look for homes I wanted to know what the average income and education level were around these neighborhoods, not so much what the color of everyone's skin was. In moving to LI from Queens I realized that people are much more separated. I grew up in Bayside where there were Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, and Whites and the property value goes up every day, the schools are great and there aren't any dangerous gangs. The average home costs over $700,000 - people take care of their homes and have the best school district in all of Queens. I wonder why LI can't be more like that. Why are there such extremes between say Garden City and say Hempstead? Obviously some people are brought into this world with wealth and many advantages but what about normal middle class people? I guess I don't understand why there are good neighborhoods like Wantagh and Merrick - primarily white and then Freeport and Baldwin primarily non white? Shouldn't the solution be that better schools and programs can help these less advantaged neighborhoods blossom?

Class is your determining factor. There are several communities on Long Island that are diverse and expensive with great schools: Herricks, Half Hollow Hills, Port Washington, Great Neck...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Default You must do what you feel is best for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
I wasn't going to do this, but I feel like I have no choice. I have lived in VS my entire life with the exception of a few years in the middle of my life. I am 33 years old, and this town resembles NOTHING of the town I grew up in. I am not talking about the skin color of the people walking around either, while obviously this has changed, but with it, so has the entire landscape, feel, and character of the town. It doesn't matter to me what the test scores say, because in my opinion, what really matters is personal experience, and I no longer feel comfortable in this town that I have spent the better part of my life in.

there is just a shift here, and I am uncomfortable here as a white family. I feel like a minority in this town right now, the only place where I can go where there is an appropriate mix of people is either church or to Ancona's pizza. I went to BJs today at the Green Acres Mall, and yes I think I saw maybe one other white person in the entire store with me. The other people there were not bothering me, they were just normal shoppers doing their own thing, BUT, it was VERY uncomfortable to say the least. I might as well had been shopping in Hempstead the way it felt in there.

So people blatantly want to call you racist or a "white flighter" if you want to move out of a place like Valley Stream, but honestly, and I believe someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread, it's a matter of comfort in most cases I believe. This town is a perfect example of so called test scores remaining high, but a complete sense of change in the town with the influx of the black and hispanics. We want our children to grow up with some semblance of the life we had when we grew up, and unfortunately, there are not going to get that here, so it was time to move on to try to find it somewhere else.

you really need to be a resident in one of these towns to truly appreciate what the feeling is like. Because if you don't experience it, you can never truly describe it or talk about it, because all you can really base your opinion on is statistics, which really don't always tell the whole story.

You must do what you feel is best for you and your family. If you are happy where you live then stay. If you are not happy where you live then move. No apologies or explanation necessary.

But you bring up a valid issue that another earlier poster brought up. At what point do Whites (I know this open ended) feel uncomfortable in a diverse setting? and does that make diversity impossible because different groups actually resist diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island