Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My wife and I are looking to move to long island after living in queens for 5 years. I love Huntington, and its village, and have been looking into the area. I have gotten some advice from people to stay away from the Huntington Station area. Is it that bad? I have driven down New York Ave from the village to Jericho Turnpike. The part really close to the village and the part close to jericho tpke seem OK. The houses are way more affordable. The advice we also received was that Harborfield schools are great and to look into that area. What I found odd was that there were some houses on zillow I found for around 400k in Greenlawn. If this part has amazing schools why is the area so cheap (for NY standards lol)? Doesn't Centerport also share this school district? Huntington area has multiple school districts so it's confusing too, when people/real estate agents say to avoid certain districts. Thanks for any advice !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
It's "cheap" presumably because it's far away from the city

Old 02-10-2018, 08:10 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
There are good and bad parts of Huntington and Greenlawn. Depending on which part you're looking in will determine the cheap factor.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Huntington and Huntington Station have many tentacles so beware of any generalizations. There are very very nice parts of each and very very undesirable parts of each. You can actually get some really good deals in very nice parts of Huntington Station because people who are not familiar with the area tend to paint it negatively with a broad brush. The inverse can also happen with Huntington. Sometimes people locate a really cheap house there and upon arrival find out why it was priced that way.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
I second @TomMoser's advice. Additionally, if you love Huntington Village, why not look to move near Huntington Village?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:09 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Huntington and Huntington Station have many tentacles so beware of any generalizations. There are very very nice parts of each and very very undesirable parts of each. You can actually get some really good deals in very nice parts of Huntington Station because people who are not familiar with the area tend to paint it negatively with a broad brush. The inverse can also happen with Huntington. Sometimes people locate a really cheap house there and upon arrival find out why it was priced that way.
I grew up in Huntington and agree with all of this. However, finding a house can be REALLY challenging if you are not familiar with the area. You can be fine and drive 3 blocks away and it's a no-go. You also need to verify with the schools the address of houses that are on the border. One of my best friends from high school lived in an area where people who lived 3 houses down one way (across a main road) went to Harborfields and people who live 2 blocks behind her were South Huntington. She was in the Huntington disctric. If you're not familiar with that area you'd likely just assume that it's all the same district. If you find a house you like make sure that you know which schools you are going to.

There are very nice areas of Huntington Station but people always shy away because of that moniker. Again, do your research.

As far as the "cheaper" parts of Greenlawn, yeah there are some deals still to be had. And you're close to Greenlawn, Huntington AND Northport.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaludChindon View Post
The advice we also received was that Harborfield schools are great and to look into that area. What I found odd was that there were some houses on zillow I found for around 400k in Greenlawn. If this part has amazing schools why is the area so cheap (for NY standards lol)? Doesn't Centerport also share this school district? Huntington area has multiple school districts so it's confusing too, when people/real estate agents say to avoid certain districts. Thanks for any advice !
Harborfields schools cover Centerport, a large part of Greenlawn (smaller parts of Greenlawn are in the Elwood SD and Northport-East Northport SD), and a small portion of Huntington (by Greenlawn).

A few of the reasons for lower prices can be that the house is on a small lot, is a small house, or is original (50+ years old and never updated...). Sometimes it's a "need to sell".

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 02-11-2018 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
If you check the real estate tax bill for a specific house, you'll find the school district listed on it.

One more border in Huntington to add to the mix of different school districts is Cold Spring Harbor. The western edge of Huntington Village is in that district.

All of the advice from the above posters is spot on.

My best advice is to rent here in Huntington for say 6 months to get a feel for the area, and use that time to drive around and see what is the best fit. That way you'll see for yourself what neighborhoods you like/don't like and won't have to rely on other people's opinions (which may be incorrect). You don't state in your original post if you actually have school-age children or not. It is true that the better school district will command a higher housing price.

You state in your original post that you drove down New York Ave. from the Village south to Jericho Tpke. I agree with you that the areas just south of the Village up to maybe Fairmount Street in the Village, and the area quite close to Route 25 are okay. Of the 2 I'd stay in the old neighborhood that runs from Fairview through Fairmount - it's all walkable to downtown, but it is SD 3 which IMHO isn't great.

I would imagine coming from Queens with its very different landscape from here in Huntington, everything probably looks okay. IMHO, it isn't. There are some seedy areas in Greenlawn, some all-out dangerous areas in Huntington Station, etc., etc. As stated by others above, the good areas and the bad/crime ridden areas can be separated by just blocks. If it were me, I'd aim for a couple of miles' distance, not a few blocks.

Years ago, I knew a couple who told their friends they lived in Huntington, implying that they lived in the Village area. Lots of people say they live in Huntington implying the same thing when in actuality they live 20+ minutes away from the Village perhaps in East Northport. Huntington is roughly 10 square miles with its various towns including Northport (maybe you ought to look into that one - it's charming, on the water, has RE taxes that are a little lower, a lovely Main Street, and has a good SD), Huntington Station, Elwood, etc. Well, it turned out that they really lived in Huntington Station, and the truth came out when they said they were robbed - Flo got home from work around 6 PM to find some woman standing in their kitchen robbing the place. I asked what street they lived on still thinking it was in the Village area and it was confessed they actually lived in a not-so-good area of the Station.

It pays to live in a safe area without having to worry about crime. Totally worth the $. You know what they say about real estate: location, location, location. A lot of people learn that one the hard way.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by AndreaII; 02-12-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island