Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM

246 posts, read 430,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
Just did this last year. We went to only one company. Swimking in Rocky Point. Like others have said the whole yard was destroyed from the curb into the pool zone. Pool is 10 inch thick concrete. They pour 4 inch concrete pad with rebar that is attached to pool and pavers on top. Patio is 2300 sq feet. It alone was 30k +. Trees were cut down fences reversed and installed. Irrigation, sod ,new plantings. Electrical work. I did ring and dome drainage on both sides and thru out the yard. It got real pricey. And i wish I did it sooner. Came out unbelievable . Worth every penny. Good luck.
So does your pool have a liner or no? Trying to figure out all the pros and cons of gunite vs. liner.

And was the 30k just for the pool or does that include the patio work (or anything else, for that matter)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
How much use to you really get out of a pool on Long Island? I know we used to open ours in late April or May and it might be warm enough to go into by June (without a heater) and pretty much closed it up by the end of August. Seemed like a lot of expense for 3 months of use.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 AM

246 posts, read 430,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How much use to you really get out of a pool on Long Island? I know we used to open ours in late April or May and it might be warm enough to go into by June (without a heater) and pretty much closed it up by the end of August. Seemed like a lot of expense for 3 months of use.
That's why many people do get heaters. Then you can conceivably be using your pool from May until September or even October.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
If you really love your pool and your backyard you get a heater.
Otherwise just buy an above ground or even one of those Intex disposable pools.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:03 AM

267 posts, read 598,722 times
Our pool has a liner. Along the bottom is vermiculite, which is troweled smooth and dampened. Then the liner is installed the next day. Vermiculite is used to prevent foot prints on the bottom. The approx. 30k was for the patio. The pool came to 30k + by the time its complete.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:03 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Best $ I have spent! May 1 thru Sept 30 for me. 5 mos. open. The 7 mos. It's closed is brutal though.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 AM

107 posts, read 234,852 times
Also consider what kind of pool filter you will get. I think the main options are cartridge, sand, and DE. I have a DE filter and last season I had a helluva time with it. DE cleans very quick but I had some algae problem so it would clog up the DE filter really really quickly and I had to have it cleaned at least 4 times last season.

The pool and backyard (fully done up with pavers) was done by the previous owner, so when the pool is clean it looks great. But honestly for me, I used the pool what...3 times last season? I spent a lot of $$ on pool services to clean the filter etc.

Be prepared to do the work yourself (maintenance, cleaning, filter cleaning) else it costs a lot of $$ to maintain via 3rd-party services. For me personally, I'm kind of regretting getting a house with a pool. The good thing is the previous owner already spent the $30K plus to install the in-ground pool (I have vinyl liner) so worst case I can pay much less ($8k or so?) to have it filled in. Or just leave it perpetually closed. This coming summer we're planning to leave it closed.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Leaving it closed is not wise.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
Bought my house last winter and I have a lot of trees and the gypsy moth caterpillar doodoo REALLY got me bad last summer. I cut down the massive black oak that covered almost half my backyard so I should be better this year BUT my DE filter did clog up like 6-7 times during the season because there is a lot of crap in my pool that it filters out. It takes what, 10 minutes to disassemble, rinse out, put back together and add more DE? I use liquid bleach only, watch for sales and buy in bulk. The maintenance isn't expensive or cost prohibitive if you stay on top of it. 15 minutes a day to skim, robot goes in once or twice a week and does it's thing. The robot is a lifesaver, really.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
^^ Agree about the robot. Throw it in, come back a few hours later, and pool is clean. I also have a salt water system. It's basically set it, and forget it once dialed in properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island