Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:49 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times

Advertisements

So my 5 yo's K teacher is constantly asking every student to bring supplies (caryons, pens, pencils, baby wipes, etc). It is not for the individual kid, but rather for the communal school supply and it is mandatory. I don't remember this when I was kid in public school, all we had to do was buy our own supplies. And the teacher gives my a kid a list of very specific brands and quantities that must be bought.

You would think with the ridiculous school taxes of the Roslyn SD, they can afford some bulk school supplies. The school (Heights K) physically looks crappy and is outdated, and they don't even have AC. So does everyone in Nassua public school have to do this (I don't remember doing this when I was kid in the public Great Neck system), or is my kids teacher selling school supplies on the side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
I don't know of any public elementary school on LI with central air conditioning.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
There is only AC in special ed rooms. All kids bring in a long list of school supplies every September, you are not the exception.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
So my 5 yo's K teacher is constantly asking every student to bring supplies (caryons, pens, pencils, baby wipes, etc). It is not for the individual kid, but rather for the communal school supply and it is mandatory. I don't remember this when I was kid in public school, all we had to do was buy our own supplies. And the teacher gives my a kid a list of very specific brands and quantities that must be bought.

You would think with the ridiculous school taxes of the Roslyn SD, they can afford some bulk school supplies. The school (Heights K) physically looks crappy and is outdated, and they don't even have AC. So does everyone in Nassua public school have to do this (I don't remember doing this when I was kid in the public Great Neck system), or is my kids teacher selling school supplies on the side?
In NYC we even have to bring a ream of copy paper

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-28-2018, 09:34 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
We got a mid year request for additional supplies this year.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Always had to buy supplies.
There was a option to pay a flat $$ for them if you don't want to run around wasting your time and gas at the walmarts and targets and what not.

I used to question it, before I realized where our tax dollars are going.

As N2S said, some rooms did have AC. They would break down a few days but there was a hole in the wall and a box in it with a rusty Friedrich logo on it.

Last edited by zulu400; 02-28-2018 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: fixed

Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
My youngest two are in high school, and we still get a list of class room supplies to send with them every year.
If you think kindergarten is bad, wait until your kid has 8 or 9 classes at a time.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 4,243 times
Quote:

Created an account to say hi. I also grew up in GN and recently moved to Roslyn. My son will start K at the Heights this fall. How do you like it so far?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplylotus View Post
Created an account to say hi. I also grew up in GN and recently moved to Roslyn. My son will start K at the Heights this fall. How do you like it so far?
My 5 y/o seems to like it, and I'm the only one complaining (1st world problems, right?). He's starting to read. He takes the bus so he's starting to learn all the bad stuff from the 1st graders, but thats life (I was the back of the bus type kid myself too).

Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 4,243 times
Quote:
My 5 y/o seems to like it, and I'm the only one complaining (1st world problems, right?). He's starting to read. He takes the bus so he's starting to learn all the bad stuff from the 1st graders, but thats life (I was the back of the bus type kid myself too).
If it makes you feel any better, I don't remember buying community school supplies either. The times are just different now.

As for the bus, at least he's not learning bad stuff from 5th graders.

One more question about school, if you don't mind - What's the HW situation like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island