Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
As a spirited driver (who won't go so far as to drive into oncoming lanes), the reason I go as fast as I deem safe is exactly that - I feel it is still safe to do so. /flamesuit You may be comfortable with 40 in a 30, I may be at 45, no big deal. If you're doing 45 in a 30, I would not blame you at all for being pissed at someone trying to do 50 and hugging your ass. That's just them being an ass.

As for feeling like an idiot stuck at the same light down the road, absolutely that sucks, but that doesn't happen every time, and you may have very well caused that delay by being in the way in the first place. So it still makes sense to go as fast as I feel is fine. It is only a waste of gas if you jackrabbit start from light to light which I see non-speeders doing all the time.

As for leaving earlier to get somewhere, that's not the point. I think the real point is to not fall asleep going at the same pace for 5 miles straight. Driving is not just a point A to point B thing for a lot of people.

Having said all that, I do like to watch car crash videos on YT. It keeps me grounded enough not to take safety for granted because while you can control everything you do, you can't control the REAL idiots who jump out at you randomly.

Lastly, we've been driving out of the area a lot more the last few years and it's very clear that tri-state area drivers are a lot less courteous. As in, they won't let you in/out and there are a lot more tailgaters here. Personality of NY thing IMO.
I don't think its the act of driving fast, but in how you do it. If you drive fast, ok doesn't bother me. But if you pass me from behind or in front leaving literally inches, then yeah not cool. Riding up my butt won't get you anywhere faster either.

And I do like watching those YT videos of road rage and car crashes because they remind me of what to watch for and always keep alert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,079 times
just say this to yourself for situations like this..

"only fools race to a red light"

say it, smile, drive on.. a friend of mine told me that and I've never forgotten it.. "only fools race to a red light"

Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,249,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Let me add to that the dingbats in Huntington who still believe (despite the signs and near accidents they cause) that cars in the traffic circle must yield to cars entering the circle. Once in a while a foolish driver will actually stop in the circle to wrongly yield right-of-way to a car entering - - thus inviting a rear-end collision of their own.

wait... you mean cars entering need to yield to the ones already in the circle, right? meaning cars that are about to enter need to wait until there is no one in the circle in order to enter.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
As a spirited driver (who won't go so far as to drive into oncoming lanes), the reason I go as fast as I deem safe is exactly that - I feel it is still safe to do so. /flamesuit You may be comfortable with 40 in a 30, I may be at 45, no big deal. If you're doing 45 in a 30, I would not blame you at all for being pissed at someone trying to do 50 and hugging your ass. That's just them being an ass.

As for feeling like an idiot stuck at the same light down the road, absolutely that sucks, but that doesn't happen every time, and you may have very well caused that delay by being in the way in the first place. So it still makes sense to go as fast as I feel is fine. It is only a waste of gas if you jackrabbit start from light to light which I see non-speeders doing all the time.

As for leaving earlier to get somewhere, that's not the point. I think the real point is to not fall asleep going at the same pace for 5 miles straight. Driving is not just a point A to point B thing for a lot of people.

Having said all that, I do like to watch car crash videos on YT. It keeps me grounded enough not to take safety for granted because while you can control everything you do, you can't control the REAL idiots who jump out at you randomly.

Lastly, we've been driving out of the area a lot more the last few years and it's very clear that tri-state area drivers are a lot less courteous. As in, they won't let you in/out and there are a lot more tailgaters here. Personality of NY thing IMO.
Obviously it's not. It's about thinking they're invincible and can do whatever they want while putting other people's lives at risk.

Why not just be patient and wait until you have an opportunity to get ahead? Then when there is room you can go as fast as you want? I cannot grasp it.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 PM

19,990 posts, read 20,683,019 times
People are scumbags. They really show their true colors behind the wheel of an automobile.
Nothing makes me hate the human race more than when I'm driving.
On LI. In the NY metro area.
Am I wrong to envision the jerk weaving in and out of lanes at a high rate of speed losing control and flipping over 5 times before bursting into flames?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,815,839 times
Bad drivers on LI. Oh the horror. What's next, high taxes? The same ones complaining are probably the ones doing 54 in the passing lane on the parkway, oblivious to everyone dangerously passing them on the right. Wish they would drive a few days in Italy or Germany where they'd get their license taken away, instead of LI where self-righteous nimbyism even extends to the passing lane. If you're not PASSING, stay out of the left lane. It's in the learner's permit handbook.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:15 PM

19,990 posts, read 20,683,019 times
In that case nobody should be cruising in the passing lane.
You should only be there when passing someone.
That basically means the LIE is 2 lanes.
It's really annoying when I'm out for a Sunday drive snailing along at 72 mph and Im getting tailgated, road raged and bird flipped.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 PM

430 posts, read 553,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's really annoying when I'm out for a Sunday drive snailing along at 72 mph and Im getting tailgated, road raged and bird flipped.
Well actually yes... If traffic allows there should be nobody in the passing lane unless they are passing. Typically on a Sunday as you point out. Also, why take it personal if someone wants to go faster than you in the passing lane. Move over and let the guy who wants to do 80 mph pass. It doesn't effect you, but deliberately blocking him makes it dangerous for everyone. Get out of the way and let him take his chances with the Highway Patrol. It's not your fight/problem.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,815,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That's the rules of the road. Passing lane is for PASSING. Liking it is subjective.
Yes, no one should be cruising in the PASSING lane. It's for PASSING.
Yes, if that means it's two lanes, then it's two lanes. A PASSING lane and a TRAVEL lane. Cruising is for the TRAVEL lane. Maybe they should call it the cruising lane.
When there is a 3rd lane on the right (aka the "granny" lane which is really called the EXIT lane, then there's that.
It's a simple system, so ALL passing is done on the LEFT, never on the right. Why we don't teach it on road tests or enforce it is just more "don't tread on me" phony American exceptionalism or just plain old arrogance (or ignorance). If you want to snail along at 72, the travel lane is for you, but plan to pass the snails doing 55 as necessary. Note: when the snail is in the left lane, people pass on the right and get themselves and others killed. All because the snail doesn't know how to drive and feels entitled.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 03-01-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Well actually yes... If traffic allows there should be nobody in the passing lane unless they are passing. Typically on a Sunday as you point out. Also, why take it personal if someone wants to go faster than you in the passing lane. Move over and let the guy who wants to do 80 mph pass. It doesn't effect you, but deliberately blocking him makes it dangerous for everyone. Get out of the way and let him take his chances with the Highway Patrol. It's not your fight/problem.
I totally agree with you. that person should move out of the way.

But if they don't, I would think it's better to wait, be patient until traffic in the right lane opens up, and then pass on the right, all while leaving some space between yourself and the other drivers. Rather than do something extremely dangerous like ride up the shoulder or go into oncoming traffic and risk people's lives. I understand that the cause of that accident would be the slow driver, and they are at fault but to make things safer we can all just relax a little bit and wait. I'm sure you wouldn't have to wait more than 60 seconds before you could get over and pass them on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: