Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:45 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times

Advertisements

The market has definitely changed in the past year. I've noticed that houses are being snatched up quicker today than they were just a year ago. I spoke to an agent that told me that the housing market is on fire in Nassau county. Lots of cash offers and listings lasting less than a week.

You'll see a lot more houses come on the market in the next few months. Hopefully you find something and get it when it's available. Just be aggressive and consider getting a new agent if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
is "your agent" acting on your behalf as a "buyer's agent" or is just a realtor who's showing you homes?

Regardless, while it's nearly impossible to time market peaks...if homes really are selling for way over asking right now it might make sense to sit on the sidelines for a while and see where things are in 6-12 months.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:56 AM

245 posts, read 319,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
That doesnt sound right..can you switch realtors? Are you looking at houses where the seller priced it really low on purpose ? Something is fishy.. we bought in N. Bellmore and offered $30K below ask and got the house. When we made the offer, the house had only been listed for 2 days on MLSLI. No bidding war. Granted, we had more than 20% down (closer to 50) so we were looking at homes under our budget. Initially prequalfied for up to 650K but no way I wanted to be mortgaged up to my eyeballs so we looked at homes in the $400-600K range. We had bidding wars for houses in Baldwin and Williston Park but only because those houses were part of estate sales or were obvious fixer Uppers. (The one in Baldwin was on a cul de sac and a spacious 5 bedroom/2.5 bath Center Hall Colonial listed at only 389K, it ended up selling for 460K). It took us about 6 months of aggressive searching/bidding to find our house. We started in October 2015 and found our house in March 2016. Keep searching, your house is out there!
A lot has changed since 2015-2016. Something fundamentally changed over the past 12 to 18 months. It's absolute insanity.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:25 AM

194 posts, read 167,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
is "your agent" acting on your behalf as a "buyer's agent" or is just a realtor who's showing you homes?

Regardless, while it's nearly impossible to time market peaks...if homes really are selling for way over asking right now it might make sense to sit on the sidelines for a while and see where things are in 6-12 months.
He is acting on my behalf, he presents the offers, talks with the real estate agent showing the house etc. I'm thinking of doing that. I'm just worried it'll get even worse. It's been gradually getting more and more insane for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
A lot has changed since 2015-2016. Something fundamentally changed over the past 12 to 18 months. It's absolute insanity.
I know, people are out of their minds. One house in Wantagh sold for 70k over asking. It wasn't even that nice. Wantagh is on another level of insanity, everyone and their mother wants to move to Wantagh.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
He is acting on my behalf, he presents the offers, talks with the real estate agent showing the house etc.
I get that, but do you have a signed agreement stating that they are working on your behalf as a buyer's agent? If not, they're not actually working on your behalf.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I get that, but do you have a signed agreement stating that they are working on your behalf as a buyer's agent? If not, they're not actually working on your behalf.
I never signed anything, so I guess he's not. I'm not even sure what all that means, I'm a first time home buyer. The experience hasn't been so great so far lol.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North2South2017 View Post
In a nutshell, it means find another agent.
Point taken

Old 03-06-2018, 10:04 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Point taken
No. Move further East. We need more buyers to move east and bump up our values too. Prices are very stagnant here.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
No. Move further East. We need more buyers to move east and bump up our values too. Prices are very stagnant here.
I want to, my personal pick is Commack and Smithtown. My job requires me to be local, unfortunately.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:49 AM

87 posts, read 99,198 times
We worked with a buyers agent and one reason we got the house was because of her. She corresponded the offer very well and added some personal information about us. What we did and a little about our family.

We did have good financials but my husband didn’t see the house so buyers were hesitant he wouldn’t like it. She persuaded them we were serious buyers and this was exactly what we wanted.

Before signing a contract with her we had a meeting to make sure she knew our needs and we were on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island