Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
All true, but look how powerful these companies have become. They got her to back down in 48 hours. The whole system has become a monster that seems impossible to put down.
From what I have heard it wasn't her that backed down on this, but the rule change had to be passed in the state budget for it to take effect. Members of the State Senate and Assembly from Long Island were the ones that made sure it didn't make it into the budget.

Now what I agree she should have done a better job at is getting this on the radar of the state legislature earlier so it wasn't a last minute rule change request, though with the time crunch I'm not sure how realistic that would have been. With that being said she at least seems serious in trying to address the issue. Her plan is certainly not perfect (no plan will be), but seems to be considerably better than what we have now or just turning it over to the Towns (no way do the Towns want any part of attempting to fix this debacle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 10:36 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
From what I have heard it wasn't her that backed down on this, but the rule change had to be passed in the state budget for it to take effect. Members of the State Senate and Assembly from Long Island were the ones that made sure it didn't make it into the budget.

Now what I agree she should have done a better job at is getting this on the radar of the state legislature earlier so it wasn't a last minute rule change request, though with the time crunch I'm not sure how realistic that would have been. With that being said she at least seems serious in trying to address the issue. Her plan is certainly not perfect (no plan will be), but seems to be considerably better than what we have now or just turning it over to the Towns (no way do the Towns want any part of attempting to fix this debacle)

You are correct, the assembly/senators came together and pretty much killed it bipartisan. And good on them.

It’s going to be very very tough for any meaningful reform outside of a reassessment. That’s pretty clear now. No matter what is done tons of people will be furious.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You are correct, the assembly/senators came together and pretty much killed it bipartisan. And good on them.

It’s going to be very very tough for any meaningful reform outside of a reassessment. That’s pretty clear now. No matter what is done tons of people will be furious.
There were multiple parts to the reassessment plan. The other part of having all homes reassessed NY early next year is still going forward. That is a step in the right direction.

The wild card is going to be if these grievance firms continue to have as much power and influence as they have had for the past 6 years or so. That remains to be seen.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
There were multiple parts to the reassessment plan. The other part of having all homes reassessed NY early next year is still going forward. That is a step in the right direction.

The wild card is going to be if these grievance firms continue to have as much power and influence as they have had for the past 6 years or so. That remains to be seen.
Yes this had nothing to do with the reassessment itself, it just killed the 5% restriction they tried to place on grievances. Which pretty much means everyone will just grieve their new assessments and the cycle repeats (if nothing changes that is). Right now unfortunately grieving is the only thing stopping taxes for some from going completely out of control.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Yes this had nothing to do with the reassessment itself, it just killed the 5% restriction they tried to place on grievances. Which pretty much means everyone will just grieve their new assessments and the cycle repeats (if nothing changes that is). Right now unfortunately grieving is the only thing stopping taxes for some from going completely out of control.
Grieving in itself is only part of the issue. The bigger issue is how the grieving process works, the politically connected firms and that grieving is done as a result to simply lower taxes instead of grieving because the value the taxes are based on is too high. Or the fact that some of those who grieve have the values lowered to significantly lower than what the actual value is and as a result their tax burden gets shifted elsewhere.

While certainly not the only example, one clear example of how screwed up the system is. Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor Joe Saladino's 2600 sq foot bayfront home in Nassau Shores is currently assessed in the mid 400's, at $300,000 less than what he paid for it in 2003....

Old 03-31-2018, 11:24 AM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
Why should house "A" with more sq footage & larger property have to pay more in taxes than house "B" a smaller home on a smaller lot?

Does "A" use more government services than "B"?

Does owner of "A" have more resources to pay ?

"A" could be an elderly retired couple on a fixed income that have owned the home for decades. While "B" is a well off young working couple with 3 kids using the public schools.

Fair?

Old 03-31-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:

While certainly not the only example, one clear example of how screwed up the system is. Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor Joe Saladino's 2600 sq foot bayfront home in Nassau Shores is currently assessed in the mid 400's, at $300,000 less than what he paid for it in 2003....
Lol typical TOB. I’m surprised he pays anything at all

Old 03-31-2018, 01:51 PM

305 posts, read 196,191 times
Default Tob

isn't this where we're raising the parking at the RR 400% "because those who use the facilities should pay for them"

Likewise School District. English, Math, Social Studies, and Science. I'm in.

All extra curricular activities parents should foot the bill. See here Sports, Band, Art whatever they are.

I probably could be persuaded to go 50/50 but it is kinda ridiculous now.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 PM

376 posts, read 310,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Why should house "A" with more sq footage & larger property have to pay more in taxes than house "B" a smaller home on a smaller lot?

Does "A" use more government services than "B"?

Does owner of "A" have more resources to pay ?

"A" could be an elderly retired couple on a fixed income that have owned the home for decades. While "B" is a well off young working couple with 3 kids using the public schools.

Fair?

I agree with this. I think there should also be some sort of reduction in school taxes for those homeowners who don’t use the school system, etc.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
I agree with this. I think there should also be some sort of reduction in school taxes for those homeowners who don’t use the school system, etc.
While their isn't a reduction just for not using the school system, the example crv was using would likely be eligible for senior exemptions, enhanced star, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: