U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM

191 posts, read 473,127 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been lurking on this board as my family is possible relocating to LI. I was wondering how the two half hollow schools are different experientially for the kids? East I see is bigger and has the planetarium - do East kids use the planetarium more like for science class than West kids? And do West kids get to use the pool for gym class? Any other differences? I like small better but if East kids use the planetarium more that sounds really cool.

I can't believe how big the middle schools are, I find it terrifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 PM

739 posts, read 481,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
Hi, I've been lurking on this board as my family is possible relocating to LI. I was wondering how the two half hollow schools are different experientially for the kids? East I see is bigger and has the planetarium - do East kids use the planetarium more like for science class than West kids? And do West kids get to use the pool for gym class? Any other differences? I like small better but if East kids use the planetarium more that sounds really cool.

The Planetarium is in HS east and is used for field trips for elementary and middle school students regardless of zoning. If you want a smaller middle buy in West. I am not sure about HS west and the planetarium the people I know in the district have younger kids.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:46 PM

240 posts, read 321,833 times
The pool is used for gym class over at West - though most try to avoid that scenario.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:51 PM

But East students can easily do swim team, right?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:16 PM

739 posts, read 481,062 times
Quote:
Per HHH district website East has a boys and girls swim team. I remember we had a pool in my middle school and every one tried to avoid going in it. I actually never went it once got a note out of it.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:32 PM

240 posts, read 321,833 times
Quote:
I believe the swim team is a combination of students from both schools so, yes.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:56 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Quote:

are you really basing the location of your home purchase on stuff like this?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:12 PM

No, these are very secondary points but the important factors of the two high schools are pretty equal.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:41 AM

137 posts, read 209,986 times
Both of the high schools are pretty similar. East is a bit bigger, West is a bit smaller. I wanted West when I bought because it was smaller. Not much difference otherwise - socioeconomically similar, perhaps a bit more Jewish in East. My daughter is now a graduating senior. The number of students going to Ivy League colleges is astounding. I have been extremely happy with everything about the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island