U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:10 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,911,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
These threads just make me depressed. There were so many places to go out back in the 90's. All of those places are gone now. Why did they shut down all these places? Who is at fault for this?
Kids don't leave the house anymore. I'm not joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
I went out to clubs every weekend from age 18 until age 30. Had a lot of fun. Those days are gone. I remember going to the GC hotel to a place called Club G, Bright fellows, metro 700, Malibu, Zachary's, clubs in Brooklyn, NYC. I miss those days.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:03 PM

76 posts, read 41,216 times
Default saw Blondie at

Eisenhower this past summer, brought back memories of WLIR.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:28 PM

9,584 posts, read 11,167,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
These threads just make me depressed. There were so many places to go out back in the 90's. All of those places are gone now. Why did they shut down all these places? Who is at fault for this?
Don't worry. Plenty of new places around. Go out get loaded and make new memories.
Just leave the fruity hair and parachute pants at home or you could get beat up.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM

546 posts, read 282,940 times
Dr. Demento and the Funny Five.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:37 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Some bands I learned of were Joy Division, New Order, The Cure, OMD, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, The Psychedelic Furs, and so much more.
The documentary makes no mention that the station was re-born the very next day after WLIR ended as WDRE which continued to play all of those artists and other new alternative music with many of the same DJs. There were new owners but it was essentially the same music. Someone watching the documentary who wasn't listening to WLIR back then would think the station went to a different format after WLIR ended. It didn't. It wasn't classic rock, or talk radio, or sports radio, or country music. It was the same music under different call letters. Who cares that it was different owners if it was the same music.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:07 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The documentary makes no mention that the station was re-born the very next day after WLIR ended as WDRE which continued to play all of those artists and other new alternative music with many of the same DJs. There were new owners but it was essentially the same music. Someone watching the documentary who wasn't listening to WLIR back then would think the station went to a different format after WLIR ended. It didn't. It wasn't classic rock, or talk radio, or sports radio, or country music. It was the same music under different call letters. Who cares that it was different owners if it was the same music.
But it wasn't LIR, it wasn't all the same DJs, and it wasn't the original owners. Picky, yes, but going with the full on truth as you've written would not have had the visceral nostalgic punch.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 PM

15,728 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Kids don't leave the house anymore. I'm not joking.
We went on a college visit the other day and I said to my husband "this is the quietest college campus I've ever been on. They all walk around with earbuds in and phone in front of their faces." NO ONE TALKS.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:33 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
But it wasn't LIR, it wasn't all the same DJs, and it wasn't the original owners. Picky, yes, but going with the full on truth as you've written would not have had the visceral nostalgic punch.
Yeah it wouldn't have had the same dramatic effect had they told the rest of the story that 12 hours later the same music was playing on the same frequency and the station was named after the legacy of the prior station (DRE to invoke the "Dare" legacy). But it would have been more accurate than the impression they left viewers with.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:07 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,030,799 times
Man, I loved LIR. It was all I listened to in the car and whenever I had the radio on at home. I recorded a U2 concert in like 80 or 81 and they played I Will Follow twice because they didnít have enough songs to fill a whole show I guess. I still have the cassette. I used to cut class at Sachem South, walk to Record Stop and buy import 45s of the stuff I heard on LIR. Still have those too. When I got my first real job I was working an overnight shift and I called in and requested Mental Hopscotch by Missing Persons and they played it. Hung out at Paris, Spize, Malibu.

I liked the film a lot, I didnít know all the backstory and it was cool getting a look at the building where the studio was. Watching the movie made me glad that I grew up on LI and not some other homogeneous place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island