U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Yeah it wouldn't have had the same dramatic effect had they told the rest of the story that 12 hours later the same music was playing on the same frequency and the station was named after the legacy of the prior station (DRE to invoke the "Dare" legacy). But it would have been more accurate than the impression they left viewers with.
I agree, but I think the documentary producer was trying to convey what initially made LIR unique: the fact that, in its time, it was the only station of its kind while everything else out there had a rather formulaic on-air approach dictated by the record companies.

WDRE aka "hey, we are so edgy we have 'dare' in our call letters" took away from the original subculture that made LIR's new format so popular with many of us. We were different already. We didn't need to be 'dared' any longer. Think of it like Facebook -- before we old farts started using it. Now the kids are onto some other social app of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I agree, but I think the documentary producer was trying to convey what initially made LIR unique: the fact that, in its time, it was the only station of its kind while everything else out there had a rather formulaic on-air approach dictated by the record companies.

WDRE aka "hey, we are so edgy we have 'dare' in our call letters" took away from the original subculture that made LIR's new format so popular with many of us. We were different already. We didn't need to be 'dared' any longer. Think of it like Facebook -- before we old farts started using it. Now the kids are onto some other social app of sorts.
For those of us who listened to WLIR/WDRE from the beginning to the end, we don't need a documentary about it. (Or at least we don't need a documentary which adds nothing to what we already know about it from first hand experience.) For those who didn't listen, they will be misled by it.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:03 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
The documentary makes no mention that the station was re-born the very next day after WLIR ended as WDRE which continued to play all of those artists and other new alternative music with many of the same DJs. There were new owners but it was essentially the same music. Someone watching the documentary who wasn't listening to WLIR back then would think the station went to a different format after WLIR ended. It didn't. It wasn't classic rock, or talk radio, or sports radio, or country music. It was the same music under different call letters. Who cares that it was different owners if it was the same music.

THANKS!

My husband and I recalled the same thing. No gap between WLIR and DRE. Seamless, really. Perhaps a few changes, minor. But, the format was not any different.

The documentary made us sad and nostalgic - when there was no need to be, because as you said, there was no gap. It made us second guess ourselves, asking "how long was it off?"

There must be a back story of bad blood between WIL and DRE. I remember "Screamer of the Week" became "Shriek of the Week".

Old 04-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Wait, are you saying your friend was the lead singer of the Ramones (Joey?) AND your name on C-D is "Sheena"

Is there more to this story???

Also you mention OMD and Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.

This was a fun time for music. I remember going to clubs like CBGB's and listening to college radio that was playing this kind of music, saw Talking Heads at Queens College, etc. WLIR/WDRE took it to the burbs and made it mainstream along with the original real MTV. My wife who was my girlfriend at the time was a top 40 pop fan until I took her to see Depeche Mode and OMD and B-52's . . .

The FB page for WLIR is pretty good, lots of folks post videos of their favorite tunes and clips from concerts for bands that are touring again. It was definitely a Long Island thing too.

"Is there more to the story?

Sure there is.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
For those of us who listened to WLIR/WDRE from the beginning to the end, we don't need a documentary about it. (Or at least we don't need a documentary which adds nothing to what we already know about it from first hand experience.) For those who didn't listen, they will be misled by it.
Not really. Think about it. We don't "need" documentaries at all if we have lived through...anything! However,
most who have lived through a certain, time, event, cultural trend, etc.

After applying to my university for "The NY Semester" hosted by NYU, I found myself living on St.Mark's PL., writing for "NY Rocker" working at Manic Panic - when it was a store front the East Village, making friends with some interesting people, a few of who are still among us. I found myself immersed in the "Punk Culture" of the CBGB's scene.

Although I "Iived through, arguably one of the most iconic music events of the 20th C. I NEVER, EVER fail to watch any documentary made about that era. From "Sid and Nancy" (did not know them, occupied a different, and more tragic part of what we called "The Scene") to the "CBGB" movie.

I lived it but I enjoy watching things - over and over again...

Same the WLIR/WDRE club scene. Surely, if you were involved, watching a documentary is such fun! You might even see someone you know, which is always cool!

Old 04-08-2018, 03:06 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,689,798 times
From the promo material for the movie:

Quote:
U2, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Blondie, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, The Clash, The Cure: Over half a billion records sold but you may never have heard of them if not for a small suburban radio station on Long Island, NY: WLIR. In August, 1982, a small group of radio visionaries knew they couldn't compete with the mega-stations in New York City. With one brave decision, they changed the sound of radio forever.
U2 had albums in 1980 and 1981 that charted in the United States. Talking Heads charted albums in the U.S. in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980. Blondie had a number one hit single in the U.S. off of a 1978 album. Duran Duran had two top 10 albums in the U.S. in 1981 and May 1982. The Clash had albums in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980 that made the U.S. charts.

The movie's claim that we would never have heard of them if not for WLIR is absurd. Those artists were being played everywhere years before WLIR switched to a new music format. Now they say well WLIR was playing those artists before they switched formats. Maybe, but the movie is about the WLIR after they changed format. If they were playing those artists it's because they were wildly successful, not because they broke them.

I don't doubt WLIR broke some artists after August 1982 but they surely didn't break all the ones they are taking credit for.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:15 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
Quote:

U2 had albums in 1980 and 1981 that charted in the United States. Talking Heads charted albums in the U.S. in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980. Blondie had a number one hit single in the U.S. off of a 1978 album. Duran Duran had two top 10 albums in the U.S. in 1981 and May 1982. The Clash had albums in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980 that made the U.S. charts.

The movie's claim that we would never have heard of them if not for WLIR is absurd. Those artists were being played everywhere years before WLIR switched to a new music format. Now they say well WLIR was playing those artists before they switched formats. Maybe, but the movie is about the WLIR after they changed format. If they were playing those artists it's because they were wildly successful, not because they broke them.

I don't doubt WLIR broke some artists after August 1982 but they surely didn't break all the ones they are taking credit for.
I just watched this documentary and very grateful to Sheena for taking the time to post about it in this forum, making me aware of it. Thanks, Sheena.

I was not a Long Islander at that time so I never really listened to WLIR. I enjoyed watching many of my old pals in the film and rather wished that I had seen the film a few weeks ago, before running into a few old friends from the music industry at an event. My reaction to the film was the same as the above quote. I noticed a lot of back slapping and claims for being the "first" to do this and that. A lot of that was untrue, including the stuff about Debbie, Duran Duran, Chrissie and The Pretenders, and The Clash. I used to listen to a show on WNEW FM on Friday afternoons called "Things from England." All of the punk/new wave scene stuff was played on that show since the early/mid 70s when the social problems and high unemployment of youth developed into an anger that propelled the Punk Rock scene. In fact, many of our American bands got air play and had hit records there first, including The Pretenders and Massapequa's Stray Cats. WLIR was certainly not the first American station to play their records. WLIR did not "break" the B52s. They already had hits and had appeared on Saturday Night Live.

Kenny should be ashamed for not acknowledging his wife's involvement and hard work in getting air play. The whole reggage movement was already popular in the UK for years. We can thank The Police and John Lennon for making reggae fused with rock mainstream music in the US, not WLIR. There's other stuff that I could say, but won't do that here.

Last edited by Coney; 04-08-2018 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 05:42 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,911,419 times
Quote:

Bingo!!!! I swore something was not right. While I enjoyed the documentary, I knew the facts were off. Amazing what facts are skewed in documentarys. I thought maybe it was all the drugs I was doing back then that skewed things but your absolutely correct.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:56 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Bingo!!!! I swore something was not right. While I enjoyed the documentary, I knew the facts were off. Amazing what facts are skewed in documentarys. I thought maybe it was all the drugs I was doing back then that skewed things but your absolutely correct.
Well, it may have been the drugs but more probably you guys have a hard time distinguishing between "may have never" and "would have never."

Old 04-09-2018, 07:06 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
True, but I admit to waxing nostalgic. I graduated HS the June before LIR switched to the new music format. For me, early new music LIR was a soundtrack for my 18-22 year old club going years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island