U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:54 PM

263 posts, read 738,901 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Suffolk County for a new job and one of the logistical headaches for me is owning a second car that I had to leave behind in storage in Wisconsin.

I was originally planning on flying back out over Memorial Day or early summer to pick it up and bring it here once I found a different place to live that was more suited for keeping 2 cars. Right now I’m renting month to month in a house share for the time being.

Now I got a call from my insurance agent (thankfully a friend) saying that they got notification that my address has changed. This means there’s a chance that I may have to insure and register the car for NY before I physically bring it out here. My biggest concern is filing the paperwork before it’s actually here and if they will let me without it being inspected right after.

So I have some questions on this and I’m wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

According to this https://dmv.ny.gov/org/registration/...-are-out-state it sounds as if I could actually fill out the paperwork and do the title transfer, etc. but it wouldn’t be valid until I do inspection.

Specifically it said the following:

Once we process your application, we will send you these items in one package

your registration documents

your vehicle plates

a 10-day Inspection Extension Sticker (VS-1077)

Put the 10-day Inspection Sticker on your vehicle when you enter New York State (not before). Mark the box on the sticker that indicates you entered New York, and write the date you entered.

We will send you your title certificate separately. Allow up to 90 days to receive it from us.

If I am interpreting this correctly, it sounds like I could hold off on the inspection and use the inspection sticker like a temp tag once it’s actually here, so long as I get inspected in 10 days?

So could I ultimately do the following?

1) Insure the car for NY
2) Transfer the title
3) Acquire the Inspection sticker but not apply it to the car until it is HERE
4) Upon arrival get the car inspected and then finish registration

If so, does the garage doing the inspection flag it as passed to the state?

Does the state get notified and then finish my registration and mail it?

Does the inspection actually delay the registration process at all or is it considered a separate process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 05:14 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Where is the car garaged in WI? This really shouldn't be that big of a deal for your agent to explain to the underwriter that you have moved to NY but this second vehicle is going to be in WI for another two months. You are listed as the only driver for both your cars, correct? They just want to make sure you are paying proper premium for where it's garaged, as long as you tell them you'll be moving it in a couple months, there shouldn't be an issue as that is not suspicious.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:09 AM

9,584 posts, read 11,162,807 times
Of all the rotten and lousy things about NY, registering an out of state vehicle is one of the easier things to do. Florida for example, is expensive and a pain in the nuts to do this.

Insure vehicle with new address.
Have valid ID and proper title/proof of ownership.
Register vehicle.
Get it inspected as soon as you can.

Inspections are done just about anywhere. Its not a centralized thing like some states where you have to go to one of only a few inspection sites. Whether or not your vehicle will pass is another thing.
Also depends on how new or old the vehicle is.
Basic safety items must be good...brakes, lighting, etc.
Then there is the emissions test. If you have a check engine light on it is an immediate flunk.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:20 AM

238 posts, read 151,092 times
There is absolutely no reason or requirement that you insure and register a car in NY that is not located in NY. Do not waste your money until the car is actually here. Tell your insurance company as much and if they don't accept it, get a new insurance company.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 6,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Suffolk County for a new job and one of the logistical headaches for me is owning a second car that I had to leave behind in storage in Wisconsin.

I was originally planning on flying back out over Memorial Day or early summer to pick it up and bring it here once I found a different place to live that was more suited for keeping 2 cars. Right now I’m renting month to month in a house share for the time being.

Now I got a call from my insurance agent (thankfully a friend) saying that they got notification that my address has changed. This means there’s a chance that I may have to insure and register the car for NY before I physically bring it out here. My biggest concern is filing the paperwork before it’s actually here and if they will let me without it being inspected right after.

So I have some questions on this and I’m wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.

According to this https://dmv.ny.gov/org/registration/...-are-out-state it sounds as if I could actually fill out the paperwork and do the title transfer, etc. but it wouldn’t be valid until I do inspection.

Specifically it said the following:

Once we process your application, we will send you these items in one package

your registration documents

your vehicle plates

a 10-day Inspection Extension Sticker (VS-1077)

Put the 10-day Inspection Sticker on your vehicle when you enter New York State (not before). Mark the box on the sticker that indicates you entered New York, and write the date you entered.

We will send you your title certificate separately. Allow up to 90 days to receive it from us.

If I am interpreting this correctly, it sounds like I could hold off on the inspection and use the inspection sticker like a temp tag once it’s actually here, so long as I get inspected in 10 days?

So could I ultimately do the following?

1) Insure the car for NY
2) Transfer the title
3) Acquire the Inspection sticker but not apply it to the car until it is HERE
4) Upon arrival get the car inspected and then finish registration

If so, does the garage doing the inspection flag it as passed to the state?

Does the state get notified and then finish my registration and mail it?

Does the inspection actually delay the registration process at all or is it considered a separate process?

Sounds like your insurance agent (friend or not) is clueless, if he/she has you this worried about something that is as impactful to your day to day life as a flushing toilet.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
There is absolutely no reason or requirement that you insure and register a car in NY that is not located in NY. Do not waste your money until the car is actually here. Tell your insurance company as much and if they don't accept it, get a new insurance company.
I'm not really chomping at the bit to get this done early, but the reality is my current insurance policy with them expires on May 31st. If I am going to have to make a change to my policy for them based on location I might as well have all of my ducks in a row and get it registered for NY once I bring it here. The important thing to me is that it actually has insurance once I am driving it out and it gets here. It just makes more sense to me to have it ready for registration when I get here.

Ideal scenario would be my ins. agent asking them to change location AFTER I get to NY.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not really chomping at the bit to get this done early, but the reality is my current insurance policy with them expires on May 31st. If I am going to have to make a change to my policy for them based on location I might as well have all of my ducks in a row and get it registered for NY once I bring it here. The important thing to me is that it actually has insurance once I am driving it out and it gets here. It just makes more sense to me to have it ready for registration when I get here.

Ideal scenario would be my ins. agent asking them to change location AFTER I get to NY.
If the car is in storage, it doesn't need to be insured - unless it is a newer car and you want it insured for theft/fire/what have you. Even if it's still there by the end of May, if you can continue with your current policy there no questions asked, then do so. I'm 99% sure it will be much cheaper than insuring it here. You would need an address there in order to do that. The address of the garage/storage should suffice. It becomes sticky if you drive the car back here uninsured, or with a questionable policy, but seeing as you don't know when you plan on bringing the car back, I would leave it as is and insure it here when you are ready to move it. The entire process would take a day or two, depending on whether you go to DMV yourself or have your agent do it for a fee. Then you take your plates and stickers to Wisconsin and drive your perfectly legal car home. Get it inspected upon your return.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving Instructor View Post
If the car is in storage, it doesn't need to be insured - unless it is a newer car and you want it insured for theft/fire/what have you. Even if it's still there by the end of May, if you can continue with your current policy there no questions asked, then do so. I'm 99% sure it will be much cheaper than insuring it here. You would need an address there in order to do that. The address of the garage/storage should suffice. It becomes sticky if you drive the car back here uninsured, or with a questionable policy, but seeing as you don't know when you plan on bringing the car back, I would leave it as is and insure it here when you are ready to move it. The entire process would take a day or two, depending on whether you go to DMV yourself or have your agent do it for a fee. Then you take your plates and stickers to Wisconsin and drive your perfectly legal car home. Get it inspected upon your return.
Thanks. So the inspection isn't actually tied to the completion of the registration process at all?

Or is it just that they won't send me the paper registration until it's done but I will have plates and stickers?

I'm certainly not going to start this process until any more than the week before Memorial Day, but it would make good sense to have my ducks in a row before I go out to get it.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks. So the inspection isn't actually tied to the completion of the registration process at all?

Or is it just that they won't send me the paper registration until it's done but I will have plates and stickers?

I'm certainly not going to start this process until any more than the week before Memorial Day, but it would make good sense to have my ducks in a row before I go out to get it.
Here's the process in a nutshell:

-Produce proof that you live in NY (Suffolk, I presume...I also presume per your original post, that this is complete).

-Get an insurance binder for the vehicle. You then use the binder to register the vehicle. Most insurance agents provide this service (go to DMV and get everything for you) for a nominal fee, which is worth every penny, trust me.

-You will get license plates, a registration sticker, and a temporary inspection sticker that is good for 10 days. Your car is now 100% legal, registered & insured in NY, and as long as inspected in 10 days, you're all set.

-Do all of the above within 10 days of bringing the car home. Take plates & stickers to Wisconsin and get your car. Have the car inspected immediately upon your return.

This couldn't be easier. It COULD DEFINITELY be CHEAPER. But not easier.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 AM

64,530 posts, read 66,075,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
the problem is most states will not let you register a car and insure a car in their state without a license of that state or in fact allow it when you do not have a licence . florida is one of the exceptions as snow birds leave cars down there so regi and license can be different states .. i looked at wisconsin and it seems not to require a license to own and register a car in that state but don't quote my interpretation . so i think you can just register and insure the car kept there .

pa as an example will not let me register and insure with my ny license . i had a 2nd home in pa but you can't do it without a pa licence .

NOTE: If you've bought a motorcycle, visit our Motorcycle Registrations page for instructions.
New to Pennsylvania?
You have 20 days to title and register your vehicle with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) once you move to the state.
Before you register your vehicle, you must get:
A PA driver's license or ID card, UNLESS you have:
A U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card.
OR
A U.S. Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-08-2018 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or