U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:56 PM

757 posts, read 606,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
In reading through the links of projects I am amazed how much of it is housing related but where are the jobs that will allow people to afford living in these communities? Many seem well beyond the range of a reasonable daily commute to the city, did I miss something?
It's an hour commute from Ronk to Penn. That's pretty reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,912,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
LMAO. Good luck with that. Ask me how I know? Express trains are extremely limited and they never run ontime. Hour and twenty, is average on a good day.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
LMAO. Good luck with that. Ask me how I know? Express trains are extremely limited and they never run ontime. Hour and twenty, is average on a good day.
I don't take the line often, maybe a handful of times a year. Pretty quick ride. Parking's a b*tch. For city folks used to the subway, a commute from Ronk is a major upgrade. If they happen to work near Penn.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
And what about the amount of time it takes from when you leave your home to when you arrive at your office? Add that onto the 1 hour express (if it is running and on time) and the commute starts to become unreasonable.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 AM

238 posts, read 151,446 times
I don't know about a new arena. It seems unnecessary, but these communities are important to Long Island. The ones built in walking distance to a LIRR station are the way to go. There is access to the high paying (and middle class paying) jobs in NYC. The Long Island economy would get a boost if it could get young professionals in their 20's to skip the moving to the city part of their lives. Almost every successful person I know spent a large portion of their 20's living in the city and spending their sizeable disposable income there. It also makes the neighborhoods more enjoyable for the people that already love nearby.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM

8,509 posts, read 11,388,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We have the same thing, they build these "New Urbanism" communities trying to recreate the urban experience but what they all lack is jobs that pay enough to live in these places so you once again must have a car and commute to a real paying job.
Are you talking about Arlington too?

Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And what about the amount of time it takes from when you leave your home to when you arrive at your office? Add that onto the 1 hour express (if it is running and on time) and the commute starts to become unreasonable.
I thought we were talking about them building an arena and apts right near the station. The walk to the station is no different then anyone else living in the outer boroughs. I've only been on the island a few short years. So the bus to subway commute to work is still fresh in my mind, it's BAD. The Ronk train (I guess express trains), would be like like riding 1st class in comparison.

My Quality of Life went way up, having to daily commute from St James, when I moved here. A lot less stress in life. Although, I don't daily commute anymore, so life's even better now.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:39 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
I thought we were talking about them building an arena and apts right near the station. The walk to the station is no different then anyone else living in the outer boroughs. I've only been on the island a few short years. So the bus to subway commute to work is still fresh in my mind, it's BAD. The Ronk train (I guess express trains), would be like like riding 1st class in comparison.

My Quality of Life went way up, having to daily commute from St James, when I moved here. A lot less stress in life. Although, I don't daily commute anymore, so life's even better now.
My bad, I got off track -- no pun intended. My point (in general) is no matter how the powers that be hype up the 'express' train, a commuter still has well over an hour of commute time to get from door to desk. Nevermind the cost of the monthly ticket.

I'm very curious to see what rent on these units will be. Look at Tritec's fortress, err, Shipyard in Port Jeff. Those are some seriously high rents.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:54 PM

7,172 posts, read 8,762,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Are you talking about Arlington too?
No where I live outside of Richmond

Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 AM

938 posts, read 490,154 times
C'mon, you gotta admit it WOULD be a nice play to pull the rug out from under Cuomo/NYC who are basically using State land in Queens to circumvent dysfunctional (soon to be dystopian) Nassau County and it's Nimby horde. For all their snooty bluster, if that Belmont arena fell through, I'd bet the Islanders and NHL would jump all over a Ronkonkoma arena near a train station and airport. But I'm just spit balling for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or