U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,478,654 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me why I am seeing hundreds of landscaping trucks each day? It seems the minute spring arrives they are out, using leafblowers, often more than 5 at once, giving me a headache. What is there to blow around? LI'ers have to be the laziest people around. Not many people must be struggling if they can hire a bunch of amigos to blow dirt around.
Please dont hire landscapers. They use illegals, and you bring them to LI when you hire them. You make the buses more jam packed up so I have to walk home, and contibute to noise and air pollution.
Do your own damn lawn!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,408,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Can someone explain to me why I am seeing hundreds of landscaping trucks each day? It seems the minute spring arrives they are out, using leafblowers, often more than 5 at once, giving me a headache. What is there to blow around? LI'ers have to be the laziest people around. Not many people must be struggling if they can hire a bunch of amigos to blow dirt around. Please dont hire landscapers. They use illegals, and you bring them to LI when you hire them. You make the buses more jam packed up so I have to walk home, and contibute to noise and air pollution.
Do your own damn lawn!
Though not on Long Island, I am a New Yorker and I am no longer physically able to do my own damn lawn. I depend on a landscaper who blows the remaining leaves off the lawn so that new seed and other treatments can be done to my damn lawn. Perhaps you might want to reconsider your rant and realize while some may in fact be lazy, some might be physically unable, others might work two jobs, others might do time-consuming volunteer work, others might work nights and sleep during the day, etc, and I believe that they, like me, are entitled to a nice looking damn lawn.

Just a thought.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM

787 posts, read 1,831,409 times
Wow. Do you realize some people just don't have the ability or time to do there own lawns & landscaping? Or that they just plain don't want to because they have better things to do than spending the weekend doing yardwork?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 AM

In your case you need to use someone, same thing for any elderly or disabled people, I'm talking about able bodied people, often families, which use landscapers. There's no reason why the kids, if they are teenagers, cant do it. Or the husband. No wonder why kids are so undiciplined these days.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Wow. Do you realize some people just don't have the ability or time to do there own lawns & landscaping? Or that they just plain don't want to because they have better things to do than spending the weekend doing yardwork?
Well 10-20 years ago I didnt see so many landscapers. The culture on LI has changed, from a mainly blue collar lifestyle to a wealthy, fast paced high strung lifestyle. Yardwork only takes a few hours each week. I know because I did it when I grew up. We all pitched in and it was done within 2-3 hours, no leaf blowers neccesary.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM

787 posts, read 1,831,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
In your case you need to use someone, same thing for any elderly or disabled people, I'm talking about able bodied people, often families, which use landscapers. There's no reason why the kids, if they are teenagers, cant do it. Or the husband. No wonder why kids are so undiciplined these days.
The kids I know are way too busy with schoolwork & other activities. Why would you want them doing yardwork when they could be doing something much more enriching? And if someone doesn't want to do their own yardwork, why do you feel they should? I don't understand why you have such a problem with what other people want to do with their time.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM

2,936 posts, read 5,689,500 times
I would much rather have the landscapers come in for 15 minutes then listen to my neighbor mowing his own lawn for six hours every Saturday.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM

147 posts, read 392,081 times
I am certainly physically able to do it but my lawn mower hasnt see the light of day in years. I work 5 days a week 12 hours a day and quite frankly I dont want to spend 2 hours a week doing my lawn. I'd rather spend it doing something else. Plus I don't have a green thumb. Everything I grow dies or turns brown. For $20/week my "amigo from Brentwod" takes care of everything. ARRIBA!!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,566,292 times
I'm one who believes doing some manual labor can be enriching. The lack of parents requiring their kids to do chores around the house and yardwork seems to have created a bratty irresponsable generation who can't fend for themselves. They don't know what it means to have worked.

And don't tell me their schoolwork is more important. Plenty of us growing up managed to do the schoolwork, have the part time job and still mowed the lawn.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 611,191 times
Here here. I despise yard work. But I like a nice lawn. Like ncc above, eveything I touch in the yard dies anyway. And even if it didn't, I too have better things to do with two hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island