U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 02:26 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,705,377 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about what OP said about not needing lawn mowing service. My question is would a landscaper even bother doing everything else? I mean the whole package includes cutting the lawn, that's part of the "lawn care" right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 02:27 PM

68 posts, read 31,026 times
To address the original poster's question...

...you'd honestly do better to do it yourself. You can research and do more effective fertilizing/treatments. Also, cut the lawn higher and water less often but more deeply, and eventually you will have a nice lawn.

I do everything myself. I had a crabgrass problem. A few years of pre-emergent crabgrass control this time of year has turned the tide. And, other than the crabgrass control, I go organic and use as little as possible. I think I can be 100% organic next year. Mulching the clippings, cutting it high, and watering deeply and maybe once a week will go a long way to reducing your need for fertilizers/weed control. (If you have a weed problem, you can do a Weed&Feed for a few years and then hopefully go back to just organic again, using the above pointers to reduce the need for water/fertilizer.)

But...the time is indeed killer, and like you I've pondered hiring a company as so much of my weekend is taken up by lawn cutting/trimming/etc. What has kept me from hiring a pro is: they shave the lawn so damn low that you need a load of water and all kinds of synthetic fertilizers and other chemicals to keep it looking good and you also run the risk of more weeds since their machines have been in contact with so many lawns.

If I was going to go with a pro to cut my lawn, I would a) ask them to mow as high as possible and b) still do the fertilizing/treatments myself.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM

74 posts, read 32,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Non Guru View Post
How much is your weekly service and what is your sq ft?

$30 weekly plus $40 for fertilizer once a month. 7500sq ft corner property.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 PM

421 posts, read 700,439 times
RE: I am not exaggerating.

Sunday mornings at 745.
Thanksgiving morning.
Sometimes twice a day if it's windy and/or the fall season.

This isn't normal? What should I do? I feel like I live in an industrial area.[/quote]

I used to have a neighbor like that. He loved using that industrial sized blower strapped to his back ( eye protectors and huge ear guards) just about every day. Would even do the street when he was extra energetic or bored. One day I hear the blower coming from his house but could not locate the idiot until I look up and see him on his pitched roof doing his gutters. After about 2 hrs he gets down and starts blowing the same leaves now on the ground. Total noise pollution lasted about 3 hours.

Each Town & Village should mandate appropriate maximum decibel levels for these gas powered blowers if not ban them altogether!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:55 PM

9,590 posts, read 11,190,433 times
Stop it.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 AM

68 posts, read 31,026 times
Quote:
RE: I am not exaggerating.

Sunday mornings at 745.
Thanksgiving morning.

This isn't normal? What should I do? I feel like I live in an industrial area.

I used to have a neighbor like that. He loved using that industrial sized blower strapped to his back ( eye protectors and huge ear guards) just about every day. Would even do the street when he was extra energetic or bored. One day I hear the blower coming from his house but could not locate the idiot until I look up and see him on his pitched roof doing his gutters. After about 2 hrs he gets down and starts blowing the same leaves now on the ground. Total noise pollution lasted about 3 hours.

Each Town & Village should mandate appropriate maximum decibel levels for these gas powered blowers if not ban them altogether!
Agreed. But I have one too...though I use it sparingly...perhaps 10 times per year...and am courteous about the timing/duration. I'm not sure if there are any laws prohibiting daily use though. That's the problem. If timing/decibel laws aren't being broken, I don't think anything prevents them from doing it every single day.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 AM

547 posts, read 284,646 times
Aaaaaaaahhh....Nothing like reading the Springtime whine of Long Island.

Before we know it the Autumn Whine of leaves being blown into my yard will be in full gear here.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:39 AM

22 posts, read 7,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
What do you mean you just started to hear it this past week? My retired old neighbor uses his backpack leaf blower every single day unless there is snow on the ground. He just did a long session earlier today to move 3 leaves across the street.

I am not exaggerating.

Sunday mornings at 745.
Thanksgiving morning.

This isn't normal? What should I do? I feel like I live in an industrial area.
That blows

Old 04-14-2018, 06:55 PM
exm

1,668 posts, read 515,109 times
I'm doing my own landscaping. What amazes me is how the landscapers started reseeding last week with temps in the low 40s. All those seeds are either still there or eaten. Unbelievable.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:14 PM

971 posts, read 673,970 times
Thanks for such an informative post. I'll hold off on the landscapers for awhile and see if I can get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or