U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,508,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Honest question. What do you weekend warriors suggest as the minimum treatments to do? Have some budget issues and want to just get mowing, edging and a mandatory spring cleanup done by my guys. Do not want the 10+ "pesticide" treatments, the 2+ aerations (maybe 1 ok), the multiple fertilizings. Those are what racks up the cost and I don't find it makes enough impact to warrant the cost. I figure I can overseed, milorganite, maybe lime for a fraction of the price myself. Anyone got a short cheat sheet on DIY lawn care?
I use turf builder with pre emerge in April, Standard turf builder in May, Sept, winterguard in oct. sometimes Iíll do Milorganite in mid summer too. I donít bother to aerate anymore, havenít In years and lawn looks as good as ever. As for weeds I spray with weed be gone max when I see them here and there. Thatís about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 PM

17,044 posts, read 19,932,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
you can dance, you can dance.
Everybody pull down their pants.
ssss aaa fff eee ttt yyy
safety dance.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:36 PM

7,051 posts, read 7,737,470 times
Quote:
Just put down that real looking fake grass and be done with all the nonsense.
or do what the queens/Brooklyn folks do, pour cement all over the front to make a illegal oversize parking lot

Old 04-18-2018, 06:28 PM

75 posts, read 34,139 times
I don't understand how someone can be leafblowing their property every single day in April. This is nuts...

My yard probably has air quality similar to a Los Angeles freeway, and I'm trying to raise children.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 PM

9,729 posts, read 11,366,367 times
Everyone should move out of the burbs.
No neighbors=no leaf blowers.

Or lawn mowers. Or people parking in front of your house.
Or dogs using the grass verge as a restroom.
Or washing cars with water from swimming pools.
Or overhanging tree branch dilemas. Or..

Old 04-18-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Everyone should move out of the burbs.
No neighbors=no leaf blowers.

Or lawn mowers. Or people parking in front of your house.
Or dogs using the grass verge as a restroom.
Or washing cars with water from swimming pools.
Or overhanging tree branch dilemas. Or..
Ehh, none of the stuff in the bottom group is really a health hazard.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,012,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
I don't understand how someone can be leafblowing their property every single day in April. This is nuts...

My yard probably has air quality similar to a Los Angeles freeway, and I'm trying to raise children.
I live next door to a psycho blower. He is the joke of the neighbors but, itís quite annoying. He used to blow his dirt under the fence to my property but, I blocked it off years ago. After 17 years I am happily moving. Feel bad for new owner but, not that bad.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I live next door to a psycho blower. He is the joke of the neighbors but, itís quite annoying. He used to blow his dirt under the fence to my property but, I blocked it off years ago. After 17 years I am happily moving. Feel bad for new owner but, not that bad.
He's been blowing for 17 years? I was hoping my guy would tire out soon...or get lung cancer from breathing in all that crap daily.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,743,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post

OCD peeps will. They want the lawn looking like a carpet in their house - not a speck on it.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
OCD peeps will. They want the lawn looking like a carpet in their house - not a speck on it.
This guy's OCD is certainly interesting to observe...he has many other OCD habits. One time I was working by the front window and I saw him check his mailbox about 6 times in a half hour...like every 5 minutes until finally the mailman came before his last visit. His car wipers go erect if there is more than a 10% chance of precip and temps are below 50. Recycling goes out 2 days early. A new leaf blower is bought every few months as he wears them out, you can tell as the box goes out for recycling. I was asked to clean my own leaves DAILY as 1x per week was not enough.

What's the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or