Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 11:24 AM

18 posts, read 19,814 times

Advertisements

Hello

About 18 months ago, we relocated the washer from the middle of the kitchen (original design of a Levitt Ranch) to the back of the garage, and by doing that , we had someone dig a drywell (just for the washer drain water) outside on the back of the garage. the well is 4'x3' and 4' deep. made with cinder block walls and put gravel at the bottom.

As of a few days ago the water is not draining and the drywell is overflowing.

I am trying to think why is this happening...

-Was the well supposed to be deeper? some people claim the well should go all the way until sand is found..

-Was it lack of maintenance? soap and lint build up?. i'll admit i did not do anything as far as maintenance. i see some filtration systems in amazon in reference to this...

-Was it a 'Well Freeze' I read this may be possible on very cold months, and people use other means to drain while this is happening...

someone familiar with this?
recommendations?

obviously i am trying to avoid paying $10K - $15K for a second sewer connection to the street or loop around the drain to the front of the house by breaking my driveway ....

any feedback appreciated ....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM

19,584 posts, read 20,406,499 times
Should've used a precast.
Block only allows good drainage at the bottom.
If the soil isn't conducive to draining then you're screwed.
If the soil is hard packed or clay it won't drain.
Digging a hole and throwing some rocks in the bottom does not make a drywell.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,567,790 times
If this just happened for the first time a few days ago, it is not likely that it is due to frost, although frozen grounds absorb less water. Is there an inspection cover that allows you to confirm that the well is not draining as opposed to the drain lines being clogged? The lint from the washer can clog the water flow paths, but hard to imagine that happened in 18 months.

Is this a front loader washer? The well size you note likely holds +/- 300 gallons. An old, inefficient top-loader might use 40 gallons of water. A hyper-efficient front loader might use 1/3 that amount. If the issue is just slow draining from the well, you might solve the problem by getting a more efficient washing machine.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,495,341 times
So how many people are in your family? How many loads are you doing? What type of washing machine do you have? Do you limit the soap and fabric softener to the minimum?

Most likely there is several problems occurring.

Either way:

1) Its way too small

2) Contractor should has used drywell blocks or precast.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,558,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenizo22 View Post
Hello

About 18 months ago, we relocated the washer from the middle of the kitchen (original design of a Levitt Ranch) to the back of the garage, and by doing that , we had someone dig a drywell (just for the washer drain water) outside on the back of the garage. the well is 4'x3' and 4' deep. made with cinder block walls and put gravel at the bottom.

As of a few days ago the water is not draining and the drywell is overflowing.

I am trying to think why is this happening...

-Was the well supposed to be deeper? some people claim the well should go all the way until sand is found..

-Was it lack of maintenance? soap and lint build up?. i'll admit i did not do anything as far as maintenance. i see some filtration systems in amazon in reference to this...

-Was it a 'Well Freeze' I read this may be possible on very cold months, and people use other means to drain while this is happening...

someone familiar with this?
recommendations?

obviously i am trying to avoid paying $10K - $15K for a second sewer connection to the street or loop around the drain to the front of the house by breaking my driveway ....

any feedback appreciated ....
Is it even legal in the Town of Hempstead to drain laundry water directly into the earth?

Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Is it even legal in the Town of Hempstead to drain laundry water directly into the earth?
Nothing is legal and everything needs a permit.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:39 AM

19,003 posts, read 16,817,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nothing is legal and everything needs a permit.
Don't forget the inspection....

Old 04-14-2018, 07:05 AM

267 posts, read 596,134 times
You have answered all of your own questions.
1- It is bit on the small side.
2- It should have been dug deeper, and dug down to sand.

You could dig a test hole somewhere else in the yard. Dig down 4 feet in one, and dig down to the sand in the other one. You can clearly see the color of the dig change as you dig. It will be dark which is the loam/topsoil. Then it will look brownish like clay, then a almost rusty brown , then sandy looking, then eventually clean almost beach like sand. Thats where you want to be. Then put hose in each and turn water on and see which one never fills up. The one dug down to sand will be the winner.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Just run a discharge hose, aim it towards neighbors yard.
If you have a party or something just roll up the hose.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,087,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just run a discharge hose, aim it towards neighbors yard.
If you have a party or something just roll up the hose.
During winter months create an ice rink for the kids. In the summer a swimming hole or fishing pond. Cleanest fish ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: