U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 PM

3,198 posts, read 8,105,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
As I said, I heard a lot about the horrors of this commute and I want to prepare myself in case we make the move out there. Also what is the parking situation like at the Northport station? Will I find anything after 7:45?
Always plenty of parking at Northport station (especially on the south side of the tracks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 PM

312 posts, read 219,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
...Since the electric trains terminate at Huntington you will always need to transfer at either Jamaica or Huntington if you go with the Northport train..
This is not really true. Some trains transfer at Hicksville and there are also a few dual-mode trains that run directly to/from Penn for both AM and PM rush.

If I had the option of walking to East Northport train station I would never consider driving to Huntington Station.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:57 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I thank Satan every day that I never had or will have a high paying job in the city.
yeah - good thing you dodged that bullet.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,053,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
If I had the option of walking to East Northport train station I would never consider driving to Huntington Station.
Where's East Northport train station? Is it near Northport train station?

Old 04-15-2018, 06:34 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,914,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I thank Satan every day that I never had or will have a high paying job in the city.
I've been commuting to the city for almost 14 years now and I don't mind it. I like my job and the people I work with so I'm not going to look for a transfer. I would rather take the train and commute to the city than drive over a half hour, but that's just me.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Just so you know, there's the HART H10 bus which runs down Pulaski Road. It's not that frequent, but it's a good alternative to travel between the Northport and Huntington LIRR stations (depending on how it's timed, the electric Huntington train might not necessarily connect with a diesel Port Jefferson train, so if you know the schedule, you can see if a bus might get you home sooner than waiting for the next train). H10 Bus Schedule - Town of Huntington, Long Island, New York

Old 04-16-2018, 07:40 AM

20 posts, read 10,091 times
IMHO, this commute is truly brutal and tolerable only for a limited time. I've done it from Greenlawn, which is one stop closer to the city than Northport. I also opt for Huntington most of the time, and take the back roads to get there. Even so, it takes at least 20 minutes each way to drive to Huntington LIRR station, park (remember, it's a big station so most of the parking is not right by the train) and walk to the train. Same thing on the way back, in addition to the train ride and the subway time. I would say it will take about a half hour from Northport, especially during the school year when schoolbuses slow everything down. The trains are late most of the time, it seems. I am sorry you have to do this.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 AM

3,198 posts, read 8,105,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Where's East Northport train station? Is it near Northport train station?
The Northport train station is located in East Northport. When the LIRR was being built out there was a Northport train station further west, near Stony Hollow Road. Then, the current station was built as the "East Northport" train station. Eventually, the original "Northport" station was demolished and the East Northport station was renamed Northport.

To add another interesting, and sometimes confusing, tidbit: East Northport is actually South of Northport.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:08 AM

137 posts, read 209,986 times
It depends on whether you want to get to the city more quickly or not. When I did this way back when, I was about a 2 minute drive from Northport but almost always went to Huntington. It is about a 20 minute drive considering lights and people that go slowly on a one lane road. But I found that it saved time, especially if I left work later. But I was also much younger then - I think now I would go with the easier trip even if it cost me more time, and eliminate the stress of dealing with Pulaski and those awful garages at Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or