Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 02:02 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,391 times

Advertisements

Folks,
Need some info on how the commute from Northport to the city is. I'm asking specifically about the train station to Penn. I've heard its been really bad this year with all the snow but want to know from people who have commuted so far this year how it really was.

Is the Northport line really that unreliable?

I have a particular scenario that I would like to you commuters opinion on. If you live within a mile of the station would it be a better idea to walk to the station or get in your car and drive over to the Huntington Station? Also how bad is the traffic to Huntington in the AM around 7:30am, if you coming from the E Northport area (anywhere between Pulaski and Burr).

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 02:36 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Many people from Northport drive to Huntington to catch the train. Since the electric trains terminate at Huntington you will always need to transfer at either Jamaica or Huntington if you go with the Northport train. If you are working late there are more trains to Huntington then there are to Northport. Also, since Huntington is the terminus you will almost always get a seat in the morning.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:46 PM

215 posts, read 248,121 times
I second driving to Huntington - definitely gives you more options and spares you the agony of changing trains at Huntington on your way home just to go one more stop east... There are a few double-decker trains that go direct between Penn and Port Jeff, but the majority don't.

I'm not sure what the traffic is like coming from that direction, but don't imagine it would be too bad. Just shoot down Pulaski and make a right on Lenox, and follow that right to the garage.

The service has been particularly crappy this last year or so, and the ticket prices are ridiculous, but (in my opinion) still beats the aggravation of driving in everyday...

Old 04-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanks for your input guys. I could use a little more info particularly about the drive to Huntington station on Pulaski around the 7-7:45. How much time will I need to give myself if I wanted to take the 7:45am or 8:04 train. Driving to the station, parking and walking to the platform (considering the lot might get full). Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 AM

25 posts, read 31,620 times
Default Nortport to NYC

I do the commute from NP every day and would NEVER go to Huntington unless I had to. But thats me.

I take either the 7:21 or the 7:34 out of Northport. I work on the east side so its VERY easy to go to HUnterspoint and just take the 7 over.

But I do transfer at Jamaica to get to Penn if needed and its not hard.

I will say that I do NOT ever go to Penn to go home. Just the thought of fighting everyone to get on the E (and at the front so you are close to the LIRR) then fighting at Penn, then fighting everyone at Jamaica turns my stomach.

I take the 5:47 from Hunterspoint and get a set every time and don't have to switch trains to get to Northport.

Lastly, if you go into Penn every day that fine. But note that *most* of the time there are LIRR issues it stems from the "east river tunnels". That's what I go to Hunterspoint. You avoid the tunnel an d the occasional nightmare at Penn.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:00 AM

245 posts, read 319,712 times
Depends on your schedule. Huntington has more options, but taking it out of Northport is far easier. Pulaski is one lane in either direction with a lot of lights. Additionally, the Huntington train station is extremely congested. Just getting out of it and toward where you want to go could take a while. Either way, a commute from northport is doable and can be worth it given how nice northport is, but, can also be a real pain.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Thanks for your input guys. I could use a little more info particularly about the drive to Huntington station on Pulaski around the 7-7:45. How much time will I need to give myself if I wanted to take the 7:45am or 8:04 train. Driving to the station, parking and walking to the platform (considering the lot might get full). Thanks again.
I'd guess you want to give it about 1/2 hour door to platform if you're going the Huntington Station option from East Northport. (Depending on where you are going after Penn Station we could be talking about a pretty long commute just going in to work...coming home could be longer)

Old 04-15-2018, 08:52 AM

The reason I was suggesting driving to Huntington was to have more train options but I don't feel like adding another 30 mins to my commute to drive to the station. If Pulaski is that congested and finding parking in the garage is that complicated then I might consider just walking to Northport and going directly from there. My office is not far from Penn so I won't need to (nor do I want to) buy a subway metrocard.

As I said, I heard a lot about the horrors of this commute and I want to prepare myself in case we make the move out there. Also what is the parking situation like at the Northport station? Will I find anything after 7:45?

Last edited by deeken; 04-15-2018 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
As I said, I heard a lot about the horrors of this commute and I want to prepare myself in case we make the move out there. Also what is the parking situation like at the Northport station? Will I find anything after 7:45?
There's a big lot there so you'll probably be ok.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:40 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I thank Satan every day that I never had or will have a high paying job in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island