Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:45 PM

987 posts, read 823,642 times

Advertisements

So I have an HOV eligible car. Yesterday on the way to work the rain was coming down very hard. The car in the middle lane swerved over and almost hit me causing me to have to cross over the buffer into the HOV. The cop was right in front of me, I saw him the whole time. I would have never done that...and never have.

Anyway the cop pulled over waited for me to pass and pulled me over. He was very nice and I explained my father was a retired NYC cop and showed him a shield my dad got me and that the cross over was to avoid an accident. He said any could order those online, which is true and what I told my dad when he got me and my sister one. He use to give us the previous year PBA card and that's what the cop asked for.

Anyway the cop said he could have given me 3 tickets but only gave me one, an unsafe lane change. But after looking at the ticket it say "Improperly entered the HOV lane by crossing over the buffer". So I guess it's more than just an unsafe lane change.

He did say something which I didn't completely catch or remember. He said "I didn't tell you this" but Nassau is not like Suffolk or the city if you show up.... not sure what he said after that.

Anyway I'm sure this is points. Any advice on how I can possibly get this reduced? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 02:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
It's Nassau just show up they will offer you a deal for no points and some stupid violation like a broken tail light.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Tough break. Sometimes, the cops see what they want to. Once pulled over, they usually feel obligated to issue a ticket, even when they realize they were wrong.

There is a section of the LIE where the HOV violations do not have points (I believe between 49 and 57). If you were lucky enough to be on the small stretch of Nassau that may fall into that exemption, you are ahead of the game. If not, you are looking at points.

Not much sense in fighting it with your side vs. his. He will never admit that you tried to avoid an accident. (If he believed that, you wouldn't have received the ticket).

You can fight it yourself by going to court. As gx89 mentioned, they will likely offer a deal. If you do go, be VERY careful about what you say. If you tell your story as above, you have admitted guilt (albeit, with an explanation). That could work against you. (I'm not stating you should lie. You can tell the truth without telling enough to incriminate yourself).

Another option is to hire a traffic lawyer. They know how to navigate the system and can often get a better deal. HOV violations are usually a few hundred dollars. That's around what a lawyer would cost you, in addition to the reduced fine you would have to pay. Personally, I think a lawyer is worth the cost - you don't have to waste a day going to court.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:40 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
- You still have to pay the $35 driver responsibility fee or whatever they call it.

- I don't understand why a PBA card means anyone can get out of jail free.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:51 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It's Nassau just show up they will offer you a deal for no points and some stupid violation like a broken tail light.
Nassau just wants your money. Doesn't care about giving you points. Just show up.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Highway cops are the worst.

Go to court, they will plea it down to a non-moving violation. Nassau pleads all the time.

You can hire an attorney but it will cost you $500-600 but saves you a morning out of your life.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 AM

181 posts, read 444,972 times
I have heard that if you have a moving violation in Suffolk and try to plea it down, they will give you 0 points, but still have to pay 500+ for a "parking ticket".

But in Nassau, I have heard you can plea it down for 0 points and end up paying a lot less. Not sure if true, but maybe others can opine.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Folks saying highway moving violations in Nassau and Suffolk will be reduced to non-moving violations just for showing up in court have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:45 AM

70 posts, read 121,627 times
I had this same violation once many years ago. I went to East Hills Village court and they offered me a "parking violation" with the same fine as the original offense. I accepted, plead guilty, paid the fine and left.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Nassau just wants your money. Doesn't care about giving you points. Just show up.
Did that years ago. Got my first ticket ever in Nassau. Showed up in court, DA came to me and said your record is clean, here is the deal. No points on the license and I pay a fine. I said ok to him. Went in front of the judge and only said "yes your honor" and "thank you your honor".

I've learned to calculate what the points will cost me in insurance versus what I pay a fine for up front. What I pay up front is wayyyy less than what the insurance points will cost me over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island