Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:15 AM

161 posts, read 683,263 times

Advertisements

I also recommend Smithtown,St. James, Stonybrook and Port Jefferson. The homes are a bit more reasonably priced compared to some Nassau County locations and they have nice stable communities. Stonybrook Village is really a beautiful place to shop. St. James has some nice private school options along with good performing schools. Train is nearby for a Manhattan commute and Port Jeff ferry close by for trips to CT.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 AM

40 posts, read 196,326 times
All the towns that are mentioned are great! I live on the south shore, Rockville Centre, which is also a great community however the north shore probably has more of what you are looking for. My personal favorite is Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington/Melville.

Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane1012 View Post
My fiance works from home, and his territory technically covers all of Long Island as well as parts of CT and Manhattan, but those trips will be infrequent. He will need to attend meetings in the Stony Brook area on a weekly basis.

I have a job offer in Purchase, NY, but that seems a little far for a commute from LI. Thoughts? Working from home is an option for me, but I thrive in office environments so I will be seeking out job opportunities near wherever it is my fiance and I move to. My commute now takes less than 30 minutes total between a five minute walk to the train, 20 minute express train ride, and then a 2 minute walk to my office. I LOVE not having to drive in rush hour traffic, it allows me to start and end my day without stress and I am always on time because the train is never late. This might be a mythical commute for New Yorkers, but I would like to try very hard to make it a reality.
I will tell you right now, Purchase NY is too much of a commute from Long Island, so unless you can work from home, turn down the relocation offer.

As for seeking out jobs on Long Island, it depends what your profession is on how well you will do working locally on Long Island. You may need to go to Manhattan to earn a decent wage. LI can be very expensive to live, yet the wages can be pitifully low. Plus, anywhere there is a business district on LI where you will be able to find decent wages, the traffic and parking can be a nightmare. If you are staying in the same business, VC seems to me to be something that will have the most opportunities in Manhattan.

I think it is a mistake to steer you out far east on LI just because your husband has to go to Stony Brook once a week. It is YOUR commute that should be taken into consideration, not his. Time, traffic and gas all can add up and there is not great public transportation out in Suffolk County to get people around either, so you will most likely have to drive to work.

If I were you, I would NOT go far out east because of the commuting. Yes some people drive far distances on LI or commute for 2 hours each way on the LIRR to Manhattan, but I wouldn't recommend it. The LIRR is very expensive and the further you live the worse it is of course. Plus, if you don't work within walking distance of where the LIRR lets off, you will have to pay for the subway on top of that. Look at the LIRR webpage for current monthly ticket prices to see what I mean. Usually people only do commutes like that because they can't afford to live anywhere nearer. Your situation sounds different in that you are not fazed by the prices.

You should first try and figure out where you will have the most opportunities to work. Look at the usual suspects: monster.com, etc. for an idea if it is even feasible for you to work on LI. If it is, then try and zero in on communities near your target area. If not, and it looks like Manhattan will have the best opportunities for you, try and zero in on upscale communities in western Nassau County. There are plenty of nice ones there you can try. One of my favorites on the north shore is Sea Cliff. Rockville Centre is nice on the south shore, plus RVC has its own municipal utilities, so you won't have to pay the outrageous electric bills from LIPA the rest of us do.

Good luck out there!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Question for GC Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I agree...

Just so you know, I have a friend the goes from Westbury to Greenwich each day and it's not the end of the world...take them about 45 min or so.)

Westbury, NY to Greenwich, CT in 45 minutes? Do they fly in their private plane? Seriously, how do they do that? Do they work the midnight shift and drive above the speed limit because there's no traffic on the roads? I am always up to learn new tricks for beating traffic and getting places faster!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Westbury, NY to Greenwich, CT in 45 minutes? Do they fly in their private plane? Seriously, how do they do that? Do they work the midnight shift and drive above the speed limit because there's no traffic on the roads? I am always up to learn new tricks for beating traffic and getting places faster!
she actually said it's about 1 hr.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
she actually said it's about 1 hr.
1 hour still sounds short, especially if she is driving in rush hour traffic.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
1 hour still sounds short, especially if she is driving in rush hour traffic.
Ok, not sure what else to tell you.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Default Reply to DANE1012

Besides some of the areas already mentioned (e.g., Cold Spring Harbor) you may want to consider Northport's "Hamptons alternatives" - Asharoken and Eaton's Neck - many homes have waterviews, very nice property sizes(1/2 acre -3.5 acres), and a vacation feel, yet one is within driving distance of Northport's downtown with the John Engemann Theater, fine/casual dining, antique and other shops, parks/gazebo, and small harbor with a marina. In addition, you may want to consider Huntington Bay as Huntington has a larger thriving town - Huntington was voted the All-American City. By the way, I a NYC CPA (Ex-big 5) now living and and working locally as a realtor - please contact me Helena if I can assist you (631) 662-8139. It would be my pleasure. Good Luck!

PS -If you decide NYC is where you want to be for your VC Career - consider a LI weekend place; I know peole who do that but tons also commute - from Northport it's an hour 40 minutes each way and about 10 minutes less from Huntington.

Last edited by helenad; 03-31-2008 at 05:22 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenad View Post
Besides some of the areas already mentioned (e.g., Cold Spring Harbor) you may want to consider Northport's "Hamptons alternatives" - Asharoken and Eaton's Neck ...
While both the Village of Asharoken and the Hamlet of Eatons Neck are within the "Northport, NY 11768" ZIP Code postal zone and thus places in both Asharoken and Eatons Neck have "Northport, NY 11768" mailing addresses, neither of these two communities are in the Village of Northport.

Quote:
In addition, you may want to consider Huntington Bay as Huntington has a larger thriving town
Likewise, while the Village of Huntington Bay is within the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and thus places in Huntington Bay have "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing addresses, Huntington Bay is not in the Hamlet of Huntington (colloquially referred to as Huntington Village).

Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Besides some of the areas already mentioned (e.g., Cold Spring Harbor) you may want to consider Northport's "Hamptons alternatives" - Asharoken and Eaton's Neck - many homes have waterviews, very nice property sizes(1/2 acre -3.5 acres), and a vacation feel, yet one is within driving distance of Northport's downtown with the John Engemann Theater, fine/casual dining, antique and other shops, parks/gazebo, and small harbor with a marina. In addition, you may want to consider Huntington Bay as Huntington has a larger thriving town - Huntington was voted the All-American City. By the way, I a NYC CPA (Ex-big 5) now living and and working locally as a realtor - please contact me Helena if I can assist you (631) 662-8139. It would be my pleasure. Good Luck!

PS -If you decide NYC is where you want to be for your VC Career - consider a LI weekend place; I know peole who do that but tons also commute - from Northport it's an hour 40 minutes each way and about 10 minutes less from Huntington.
WOWSA...you should have just posted some listings, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island