U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 PM

352 posts, read 230,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Do you really need a architect to draw up plans and get a permit to re do a kitchen (assuming no change in the footprint) and poke a hole in an exterior wall to put in a door?

Anything structural requires a permit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 08:17 AM

3,122 posts, read 8,505,598 times
If you have to pay, just get an architect. A good one may have other ideas for you to consider, get the most out of your money.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM

498 posts, read 251,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
If you have to pay, just get an architect. A good one may have other ideas for you to consider, get the most out of your money.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 PM

296 posts, read 223,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
This is the smartest comment on the thread. If you need to pay the architect, make sure to pick their brain.

If you are asking an architect to come in and prepare a set of drawings for a permit for some first floor alteration work, $2,500 is not an insane price if he is sizing up a few headers and doing some design work.. If the $2,500 includes all permit paper work and filing and picking up permit at town but not permit fees this is a fair price. I won't call it expensive or cheap...

Now if the architect literally is not doing much structural work and design work at all, and this whole thing is more of an exercise just to obtain the proper permits, than the price is a tad bit steep but not a rip off. The price should be closer to $1,800-$2,000 then with him still doing all the permit paper work and filing and picking up permit at town

With all of this being said, I feel bad that you posted about this because it seems you have many questions and don't fully understand what you are getting and why it is priced. You need to ask whoever you are hiring to explain what you are getting and why the price is validated. They are working for you, so you need to know.

Side note, the town and the state require most plans to be formatted in a specific way by a licensed architect with zoning and building codes so whoever made the comment about doing it yourself with a 3d home architect software is beyond insulting lmao...

Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 AM

4,639 posts, read 2,619,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Side note, the town and the state require most plans to be formatted in a specific way by a licensed architect with zoning and building codes so whoever made the comment about doing it yourself with a 3d home architect software is beyond insulting lmao...
I wrote the comment and don’t see why it would be “beyond insulting”. This was also said before it was clear there were structural changes.

OP wanted to do a “kitchen remodel”. If it was merely about moving a few cabinets around then a licensed architect would be overkill. Most home centers use software that does exactly that and depending on the work required a permit might not even be necessary.

Software like this is also very helpful in visualizing what you want - including a walkthrough of the room - so even if not suitable for permit submission it would provide a great baseline for an architect to use to generate the plans and for the customer to feel confident it’s what he/she wants. But if OP already has the design work done and just needs plans...as I said in a follow up post, $2500 is not ridiculous for a licensed architect.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wrote the comment and don’t see why it would be “beyond insulting”. This was also said before it was clear there were structural changes.

OP wanted to do a “kitchen remodel”. If it was merely about moving a few cabinets around then a licensed architect would be overkill. Most home centers use software that does exactly that and depending on the work required a permit might not even be necessary.

Software like this is also very helpful in visualizing what you want - including a walkthrough of the room - so even if not suitable for permit submission it would provide a great baseline for an architect to use to generate the plans and for the customer to feel confident it’s what he/she wants. But if OP already has the design work done and just needs plans...as I said in a follow up post, $2500 is not ridiculous for a licensed architect.
I missed that comment, you are correct... I understand your thought process.. Sorry for the comment.

With that being said, structural changes are not the only reason why an architect is required.. If you are doing a permit remodel, architects are needed for zoning and building codes. For example, say you are finishing your basement, there may be no structural changes but there are tons of building codes and calculations needed. Or say you are doing a garage conversion there are zoning code implications.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I missed that comment, you are correct... I understand your thought process.. Sorry for the comment.

With that being said, structural changes are not the only reason why an architect is required.. If you are doing a permit remodel, architects are needed for zoning and building codes. For example, say you are finishing your basement, there may be no structural changes but there are tons of building codes and calculations needed. Or say you are doing a garage conversion there are zoning code implications.
Don’t disagree with you about your points on building codes and zoning at all. Similar to permits for electrical or plumbing work. Basic safety standards must be followed.

But I think for many kitchen and bathroom remodels the idea of needing permits is ridiculous. Same for some towns that require permits for replacing a water heater (unless an emergency replacement). It leads people to look for ways to skirt the process instead of comply with it. How many threads do you see here with comments stating “do not let an inspector in your house”? It’s for a reason.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM

498 posts, read 251,128 times
Thanks guys.

I've been inquiring to get an architect/engineer take care of this, and almost all of them say "you do realize that they may find something else in your house, right?"

I get the feeling that I'm one of the few that look for their services just for the permit part. As if they think it's totally unnecessary. An engineer actually suggested to call the town and ask if I need one.
I did call, and of course, if I want to make an opening on a load bearing wall, I do need a permit according to them.

Now, as an analogy, we're supposed to go 50 m/hr on a highway but everyone goes 70 and few people gets stopped. Is this the same thing? Asking for permits is like going 50?

Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Thanks guys.

I've been inquiring to get an architect/engineer take care of this, and almost all of them say "you do realize that they may find something else in your house, right?"

I get the feeling that I'm one of the few that look for their services just for the permit part. As if they think it's totally unnecessary. An engineer actually suggested to call the town and ask if I need one.
I did call, and of course, if I want to make an opening on a load bearing wall, I do need a permit according to them.

Now, as an analogy, we're supposed to go 50 m/hr on a highway but everyone goes 70 and few people gets stopped. Is this the same thing? Asking for permits is like going 50?
You should get a permit.. Don't want a stop work order.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
You should get a permit.. Don't want a stop work order.
Or an issue with a CO later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island