Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Thanks guys.

I've been inquiring to get an architect/engineer take care of this, and almost all of them say "you do realize that they may find something else in your house, right?"

I get the feeling that I'm one of the few that look for their services just for the permit part. As if they think it's totally unnecessary. An engineer actually suggested to call the town and ask if I need one.
I did call, and of course, if I want to make an opening on a load bearing wall, I do need a permit according to them.

Now, as an analogy, we're supposed to go 50 m/hr on a highway but everyone goes 70 and few people gets stopped. Is this the same thing? Asking for permits is like going 50?
If its a small job, most engineers are really too busy but don't want to say no. Construction is humming again, hard to get small projects done.

If you are removing a load bearing wall, you should get a permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 AM

983 posts, read 724,286 times
Bummer.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:48 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Or an issue with a CO later.
CO for what? Nothing is changing.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 PM

300 posts, read 552,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
CO for what? Nothing is changing.
Most townships have a cc and a co or something similar. Co is certificate of occupancy. CC is certificate of completion...

If you were to take down a few walls in a house and put some headers in that would be a CC.

If you were to build a second floor, that is still a CC and not a CO..

If you completely gut the house and do massive alteration that can trigger a new CO..

If you build a new house you get a CO.

Most homeowners say CO by mistake instead of CC or your towns equivalent.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM

983 posts, read 724,286 times
Hi all.

I'm the OP.

We finally got the permit.
Now, all the contractors that come (we're shopping for a contractor again), say that it was a mistake and that for a kitchen renovation it wasn't necessary, even with the opening on a load baring wall.
Just FYI.

I'm assuming that for some reason they say that because it'd have been better for them without the town checking on them. Still, for others looking into this, I thought mentioning it.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Hi all.

I'm the OP.

We finally got the permit.
Now, all the contractors that come (we're shopping for a contractor again), say that it was a mistake and that for a kitchen renovation it wasn't necessary, even with the opening on a load baring wall.
Just FYI.

I'm assuming that for some reason they say that because it'd have been better for them without the town checking on them. Still, for others looking into this, I thought mentioning it.
If your in Nassau it was a mistake because they are going to reassess your house based off your new kitchen thus raising your taxes. In Suffolk it's a crapshoot depending on township.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island