Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:51 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times

Advertisements

I have only gone to court once to fight a parking ticket. I parked in a quiet but crowded residential area in NYC overnight. The spot was obviously a driveway at one point, the curb was cut and there was a driveway, but there also was a permanent tall fence across the driveway with no gate, so to me this was a valid spot and I took it.

I came out very early the next morning and found a ticket on my windshield. There was no way a cop came down this block that early, I doubt any cops came through the neighborhood at all. I’m thinking whoever lived there must have been a cop and he put the ticket on my car.

I noticed the ticket had a few details wrong. It had the wrong make of car and also the wrong color. I was off work that week so I decided to go in and see how the ticket process worked. As I sat in court and heard the cases before me, I noticed it really didn’t matter what anyone said, the judge found everyone guilty but he reduced the fee. When my turn came it was the same, he didn’t care about the inaccuracies of the ticket, or that the “driveway” was permanently blocked with a fence (I had no photo to prove that), guilty but reduced fine.

That’s how it went for me many years ago in NYC traffic court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I have only gone to court once to fight a parking ticket. I parked in a quiet but crowded residential area in NYC overnight. The spot was obviously a driveway at one point, the curb was cut and there was a driveway, but there also was a permanent tall fence across the driveway with no gate, so to me this was a valid spot and I took it.

I came out very early the next morning and found a ticket on my windshield. There was no way a cop came down this block that early, I doubt any cops came through the neighborhood at all. I’m thinking whoever lived there must have been a cop and he put the ticket on my car.

I noticed the ticket had a few details wrong. It had the wrong make of car and also the wrong color. I was off work that week so I decided to go in and see how the ticket process worked. As I sat in court and heard the cases before me, I noticed it really didn’t matter what anyone said, the judge found everyone guilty but he reduced the fee. When my turn came it was the same, he didn’t care about the inaccuracies of the ticket, or that the “driveway” was permanently blocked with a fence (I had no photo to prove that), guilty but reduced fine.

That’s how it went for me many years ago in NYC traffic court.
That pretty much sums up that in the end, all they want is money. Regardless of what you're ticketed for, funny looking, bad haircut, bad wax job, etc....

Old 04-27-2018, 12:53 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,287 times
Agreed. My brother once got a ticket for not fully stopping for a stop sign and he got it reduced to a jay walking ticket at court. LOL.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Agreed. My brother once got a ticket for not fully stopping for a stop sign and he got it reduced to a jay walking ticket at court. LOL.
Yes your honor, it was I who crossed the street even though the stop sign turned red.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:01 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Trade your car for a bicycle.
Buy some rain gear.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Yes your honor, it was I who crossed the street even though the stop sign turned red.
You clearly never been to traffic court in Nassau. You only go to trial with a judge if you plea not guilty and refuse the deal the court clerk gives you. 99% of the tickets are plead down to something very minor with the court clerk.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
You clearly never been to traffic court in Nassau. You only go to trial with a judge if you plea not guilty and refuse the deal the court clerk gives you. 99% of the tickets are plead down to something very minor with the court clerk.
Actually my last post was sarcasm.

And you're wrong. I have been to traffic court in Nassau many moons ago. They're always going to give you a deal where they always get money, unless you have 100% proof the officer was dead wrong.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,769 times
I received a ticket for "No Parking Permit" at LIRR Great Neck North station parking lot on Saturday 05/19/18 with $60 fine & fees plus $10 surcharge, I am okay with paying the $70 fees but is wondering if it's worthy to try and fight it.

Here's how this happened: I was supposed to catch an early morning train from LIRR Port Washington to Penn Station to pick up my mom, upon arriving at Port Washington station, all the stairways to the platforms are blocked by tapes and a LIRR staff stood there and explained to all the passengers that there will be no trains to/from Port Washington until 03:00 PM due to track service, he admitted that the schedule online did not reflect this but it's what it is, we will have to go to Great Neck to catch the train, so I drove to Great Neck station and parked at the almost empty north station parking lot and caught my train. I thought the parking lot would be free on the weekends just like Port Washington (apparently it isn't) but got this ticket when we got back to Great Neck.

The ticket indicates I am hereby directed to appear in the Nassau County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency at 16 Cooper Street West. Hempstead, NY ON THE 2 DAY OF Jul 2018 AT 900 AM to Answer a Charge in Violation of SECTION 14 SUBDIVISION 8 of Great Neck Park District for "NO PARKING PERMIT"

Should I plead guilty or not? If I should, how do I pay? There's no indication that I can pay online, do I go to the Nassau County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency on Jul 2nd to pay? There's no indication it's returnable.

Also, if I plead not guilty will there be other fees I will have to pay?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Unfortunately you will have to pay the ticket in person at Traffic court. If you plead not guilty and get the ticket waived, there still might be an administrative fee of $30 you still have to pay. They might have gotten rid of that fee now but I had to pay that amount 6-7 years ago when I won on a parking ticket. Also do not wear shorts to court. It's not allowed.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I wore a wife beater, shorts, combat boots, and ski cap to court once.
They asked me to remove my hat.
I put it back on when I sat down.

Stand up to the man. Plead not guilty. Tell them its a free country and you'll park where you damn well please.You pay enough in taxes and fees already and they are not getting another penny.
Don't let them bully you. And remind them that they are all civil servants and you pay their salaries.
Trust me it works like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island