U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM

1,160 posts, read 857,461 times

Advertisements

Homeowners would be smart to buy a few quality power tools and an OSHA graded ladder and take care of some fixes themselves (I did). It's cost effective and the skill level isn't too high for many tasks. As you do more of this, your skill level will improve.

I get it you don't want to stay home on weekends and fix things, although the time it takes to find competent people, wait for the work to be done and make the money back that you paid them takes up a lot of your free time.

Also, a fix you did yourself is surprisingly gratifying.

As for paying people, the work I paid for done by handymen came to about $75-$100 an hour. Some of it good, some not. Oftentimes I had to fix up work I paid them for.

The plumber's work came to about $400 an hour (he does jobs "by project, not by the hour"), but I was clearly taken advantage of because I needed work done fast to close on my house in Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Hey I agree, but the same thing goes for fair/wage vs cost of living.. Just because it is expensive to live somewhere does not mean that you get paid more for your skills..
Try telling that LI teachers and police.

Ducks and runs.......

Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM

296 posts, read 222,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Homeowners would be smart to buy a few quality power tools and an OSHA graded ladder and take care of some fixes themselves (I did). It's cost effective and the skill level isn't too high for many tasks. As you do more of this, your skill level will improve.

I get it you don't want to stay home on weekends and fix things, although the time it takes to find competent people, wait for the work to be done and make the money back that you paid them takes up a lot of your free time.

Also, a fix you did yourself is surprisingly gratifying.

As for paying people, the work I paid for done by handymen came to about $75-$100 an hour. Some of it good, some not. Oftentimes I had to fix up work I paid them for.

The plumber's work came to about $400 an hour (he does jobs "by project, not by the hour"), but I was clearly taken advantage of because I needed work done fast to close on my house in Nassau.
I understand what your saying about a handyman but do you think that a company that remodels your kitchen or your bathroom or does your siding should pay employees $75 an hour? I personally don't know any residential carpenter employees that make $600 a day... If you were to add that with insurances and payroll tax the homeowner couldn't afford a week of work..

Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Try telling that LI teachers and police.

Ducks and runs.......
I don't duck and run... I'm having a conversation. I'm open to all of this. It is interesting to see people's thoughts..

Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Interesting link:
https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472031.htm

Annual mean wage (2017) for carpenters in Nassau/Suffolk is $66,440.00

My husband is a carpenter with 42 years under his belt. We have a small home improvement business. One thing I've noticed is that when we are looking to hire quality guys who want steady work, everyone who answers the ads thinks they are worth $40-$50 per hour. Some of these are young bucks who have maybe 8-10 years under their belts; in no way do they have all the knowledge and skills of a full mechanic.

Then there are the homeowners who want top notch work at bargain bin prices; they don't understand why the estimate is higher than that of the man who randomly hires a warm body from in front of the Home Depot.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I don't duck and run... I'm having a conversation. I'm open to all of this. It is interesting to see people's thoughts..
I was ducking and running from the teachers and cops.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM

940 posts, read 490,731 times
$40k is @ $20/hr. Where would you expect to get skilled or reliable help for that?! Even a guy outside Home Depot willing to push a broom or pull a rake gets $15/hr.

That said, why are we giving fat IDA tax breaks to companies promising to create $10-$13/hr jobs and who is supposed to live here on that?!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:25 PM

1,160 posts, read 857,461 times
Quote:
I understand what your saying about a handyman but do you think that a company that remodels your kitchen or your bathroom or does your siding should pay employees $75 an hour? I personally don't know any residential carpenter employees that make $600 a day... If you were to add that with insurances and payroll tax the homeowner couldn't afford a week of work..
That's why I wanted to keep them away as much as possible, or go broke pronto. I also had to pay for supplies. Handymen are usually unreliable and do sloppy work so they can get out faster. I would know because I went through about 10 of them.

I think your best bet would be to hire apprentices and train them. The rough work doesn't take all that much skill.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Interesting link:
https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472031.htm

Annual mean wage (2017) for carpenters in Nassau/Suffolk is $66,440.00

My husband is a carpenter with 42 years under his belt. We have a small home improvement business. One thing I've noticed is that when we are looking to hire quality guys who want steady work, everyone who answers the ads thinks they are worth $40-$50 per hour. Some of these are young bucks who have maybe 8-10 years under their belts; in no way do they have all the knowledge and skills of a full mechanic.

Then there are the homeowners who want top notch work at bargain bin prices; they don't understand why the estimate is higher than that of the man who randomly hires a warm body from in front of the Home Depot.
Interesting. So what do you pay your men? Say you have a person with 4-5 years experience who is a Jr. Mechanic. What is his total package?

Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 PM

1,366 posts, read 988,327 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how much money do you think a residential carpenter or jr carpenter should make?
Lead carpenter should get atleast 75k with decent health benefits. Even a paid cellphone would be appropriate. Per day, $350. A jr Carpenter depends on experience. 5-7 years 25/hr cash.
I started for $70/day in 96. I had a great boss who always bumped my salary as I performed more. I left him reluctantly after 12 years with 75k, health insurance, paid cellphone and paid transportation/gas. Best decision I was ever forced to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island