Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 03:34 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The other counterpoint was the size of the air ventilation buildings -- they gave an example picture of the ventilation building for an NYC tunnel which is much shorter in length than the proposed sound tunnel. These buildings are very large and completely out of scale and character with the surrounding area.

FWIW -- I do not live anywhere near Syosset. I live closer to Sunken Meadow, but not close enough to be impacted by sight lines.

They used a wild guess based of the type of ventilation tower at the Lincoln Tunnel which I would suppose is 50+ year old technology. I would agree it looked hideous superimposed on Center Island....but suppose a large modern ventilation building was positioned amongst the enormous (and hideous) tanks at Commander Oil in Oyster Bay?

Something tells me the folks with the flying cars scenario may be just making stuff up.

I'm not necessarily in favor of a tunnel but I can't help laughing at the pro and con advocacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 04:30 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Just make it look like a light house or castle.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:26 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Here's a more modern interpretation from Holland, much more stylish

Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
And Sagtikos only goes from the LIE south to Southern State. So can't build a bridge to CT from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Yes New York state can and will. Go tell the state they don't know what they're doing. I only work for them.
You mean build a bridge or tunnel to Sunken Meadow State Park and continue down the Sunken Meadow Pkway to the Sagtikos?

I doubt it will happen.

First of all, the Sagtikos, Robert Moses and Sunken Meadow Parkways are parkways, no trucks allowed. And they are only two lanes wide, with the Sagtikos already filled to capacity at rush hour. Not to mention, the Sagtikos does not really meet the Robert Moses directly, you have to get on the Southern State for about a half a mile - are we talking about letting trucks and buses onto the Southern State as well?

As soon as word gets out that we are going to have years of widening the 3 parkways, rebuilding all the low stone bridges and enable trucks and buses to use them (because they are NOT going to build a bridge or tunnel just for cars), also allowing trucks and buses on the Southern State and with the possible ruining of Sunken Meadow State Park, I think there will be tremendous opposition in Suffolk County to this.

Not to mention that a Rye-Sunken Meadow bridge will be so far east, it will be virtually useless to many people in Nassau County.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:49 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not to mention that a Rye-Sunken Meadow bridge will be so far east, it will be virtually useless to many people in Nassau County.
Thats fine.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:36 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Flying cars is where their argument jumped the shark.

If anything, the point which was most significant (for me at least) was the very real potential for intrusion into the aquifer we use for drinking water.
I'll agree there. That was their best point against, IMO. However, the flying cars defense and some of the other points greatly eroded their credibility, IMO. If their aquifer science was legitimate, they should have no need to go with the looney ideas. No way to tell where they are lying and if the aquifer argument has any merit.

Quote:
The more I read of Cuomo's plans, the more I sincerely believe that this man hates LI and sees us solely as a source of revenue or returning political favor.
That's a given. The man is off the rails.

NYC is the stronghold of Democrat power in the state and Long Island is the stronghold of Republican power. I would normally think this is a party thing, but given his hate for DeBlasio it seems Cuomo would like to stick it to all of downstate.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
we have to remember the folks that live on the other side of this bridge or tunnel will have input also.
What benefit do the residents of Connecticut get from a bridge to Long Island other than a few nice beach days ? One of the plans has a terminus in Milford, which is a pretty nice residential town on the LI Sound. Doubtful if the folks that live there are too happy either.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
As soon as word gets out that we are going to have years of widening the 3 parkways, rebuilding all the low stone bridges and enable trucks and buses to use them (because they are NOT going to build a bridge or tunnel just for cars), also allowing trucks and buses on the Southern State and with the possible ruining of Sunken Meadow State Park, I think there will be tremendous opposition in Suffolk County to this.

Robert Moses will flip over in his grave

Do it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
we have to remember the folks that live on the other side of this bridge or tunnel will have input also.
What benefit do the residents of Connecticut get from a bridge to Long Island other than a few nice beach days ? One of the plans has a terminus in Milford, which is a pretty nice residential town on the LI Sound. Doubtful if the folks that live there are too happy either.
My boss lives in Wilton, CT (not sure where that is...) but he is all for this project .. as am I. I would be curious to know what the majority of Nutmeggers really think ... it would benefit them as well ... LI is more than just beaches.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Cuomo rep. says, ?There are no secrets,? tunnel is only option | Herald Community Newspapers | liherald.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island