U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 PM

7,175 posts, read 8,766,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why Japan, South Korea, Germany, UK, France for etc have better Infrastructure than U.S
Because their infastructure was all rebuild after WWII/Korean War on our dime, much of ours predates those times....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 PM

1,159 posts, read 857,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why Japan, South Korea, Germany, UK, France for etc have better Infrastructure than U.S
Turkey and Mexico have better roads and paved sidewalks also. Not exactly first world countries.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 PM

141 posts, read 50,051 times
I'd rather be aesthetic and environmentally friendly than have this.

It's not even going to help out much either. I hope something like this never passes.

As for the smoke stacks, I get both sides are guilty. The hope is that they go away, and they will as clean energy continues to dominate...

Old 05-05-2018, 03:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,856,964 times
Originally Posted by BPt111
Why does Japan, South Korea, Germany, UK, France for etc have better Infrastructure than U.S
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Because their infastructure was all rebuild after WWII/Korean War on our dime, much of ours predates those times....
The high speed train networks, modern and well-maintained bridges, cross channel tunnel (Europe), modern airports, etc. are impressive. More than one traveler overseas has noted this and what appears to be a much higher priority on infrastructure and much higher standards for infrastructure construction. (Much of this, especially what I see in Europe, has been done well within the last 50 years...WWII ended 70+ years ago.)

Old 05-05-2018, 07:05 PM
exm

1,636 posts, read 510,782 times
Build this tunnel using private funds. If the toll is $25, people can make their own decisions. And in case of any emergencies there's another way out.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Sagatose into sunken meadow. God, I didn't realize I had to spell it out for you.
Spell it out, lmao

Thatís not how it spelled

Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,056,407 times
Lol 'Sagatose'

That's one step below Lactose.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Well, here's the CT perspective.

I really don't want this too happen. CT is a lot quieter and less densely populated than LI, so a lot of traffic will come up our way. Also, a bridge across would look HIDEOUS from our beaches!! Even right now that smokestack in Northport is an abomination... Hopefully it's replaced with something less ugly.

This would also have a TERRIBLE ecological impact on the Sound. Imagine all of the littering!

I say NO!
Funny you should mention littering. You do realize that CT wants to dump dredge into the Sound, don't you?

Connecticut Sides With EPA Over Dredge Dumping In LI Sound | WSHU

Perhaps CT should clean up it's own act and not use the Sound to dump waste.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
For crying out loud, just drain the freaking Sound! No unsightly bridges, ventilation towers, or worries about getting right of way building something on some NIMBYís rose garden.
Boom! Done!
We'd probably find Judge Roy Bean and Jimmy Hoffa, too!

Old 05-06-2018, 10:49 AM

141 posts, read 50,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Funny you should mention littering. You do realize that CT wants to dump dredge into the Sound, don't you?

Connecticut Sides With EPA Over Dredge Dumping In LI Sound | WSHU

Perhaps CT should clean up it's own act and not use the Sound to dump waste.
Believe me, I think that's terrible and I'm ashamed our state is doing such a thing. I'm all with you guys on this one. But just because one side does something bad doesn't mean it's an excuse for the other side to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or