U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 PM
exm

1,620 posts, read 508,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The tunnel would be going under properties which are already very pricey once you move beyond Syosset. I doubt these homeowners want any ventilation buildings towering near their homes. No matter how one tries to sell the hidden tunnel that's convenient to the mainland, those ventilation buildings will stand out. Yes, it is NIMBY, no argument there.

I wouldn't want of those either in my backyard. But you won't tell me that they can find a remote location for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 03:41 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I am guessing these ventilation shafts might serve two purposes, bring fresh air into the traffic tunnel for the motorists, and vent out all the carbon monoxide. So would residents near them experience a depletion of fresh air and increase in the latter?
Good question, I have no idea.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:58 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I wouldn't want of those either in my backyard. But you won't tell me that they can find a remote location for them.
I can only guess they have to be somewhat close to the tunnel entrance/exit. Given the combination of development on LI and preserves/parks near potential tunnel sites, nothing is truly remote.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Can anyone provide a link where CD posters in Connecticut, Westchester or any upstate location are bemoaning the challenge of getting to LI and wish the connection would be built?
We are an island so we are a final destination. They are not... we would potentially cut through to get to many other NE states, so it's logically obvious we would want it more than they would.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:39 PM

7,171 posts, read 8,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
We are an island so we are a final destination. They are not... we would potentially cut through to get to many other NE states, so it's logically obvious we would want it more than they would.
That's not what I asked, Can anyone provide a link where someone off of LI is wishing there was a more convenient link? Seems there isn't any demand expect for LI residents but if it's a significant enough concern who is willing to relocate for mainland convenience?

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,593,264 times
Quote:
Can anyone provide a link where CD posters in Connecticut, Westchester or any upstate location are bemoaning the challenge of getting to LI and wish the connection would be built?
I would repost this thread title with a slight change in each locale so it will allow the post. For example, Future of Bridge/Tunnel and post it in the Ct., Westchester & Albany area for example. You will then get the cross section of opinion from that side of the tunnel so to speak.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 AM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times
Quote:
That's not what I asked, Can anyone provide a link where someone off of LI is wishing there was a more convenient link? Seems there isn't any demand expect for LI residents but if it's a significant enough concern who is willing to relocate for mainland convenience?
I can't provide any links (nor have I searched), but if you're not making a point that there isn't interest with the way you worded your question, then I'm still missing the drive behind your post. Relocate to mainland? We're on an island, but only technically. We've got most of what we need here, except when we need to travel for vacation, kids activities, work demand, etc. We want it for that convenience and would not consider moving for that reason alone.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 AM

7,171 posts, read 8,759,533 times
Posters have strongly stressed how the current options are inadequate for their needs so I ask if relocating would be a better option based on how they live. I have lived in another location where a sole bridge/tunnel created issues when needing to commute, travel or just go anywhere beyond the place I lived and we used to wish they would add an additional tunnel......their still waiting.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:46 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Posters have strongly stressed how the current options are inadequate for their needs so I ask if relocating would be a better option based on how they live. I have lived in another location where a sole bridge/tunnel created issues when needing to commute, travel or just go anywhere beyond the place I lived and we used to wish they would add an additional tunnel......their still waiting.
I think this is an unreasonable request. I'm not just going to move and uproot my life just b/c I don't like my current bridge & tunnel options.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:49 PM

15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think this is an unreasonable request. I'm not just going to move and uproot my life just b/c I don't like my current bridge & tunnel options.
But facing a daily commute to CT, you might. The point he's making is it would just be easier to pick up and move to CT. It's not Mississippi.

We've had people here ask the question "Can I commute from [random point on LI] to NJ?" and the overwhelming response is generally "you're good for maybe a year and then you'll go insane" so what's the difference here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or