U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM

20 posts, read 13,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Part of many reasons LI fails.
I'm writing a book. It's sure to be a best seller.
It sure will

Call it "River in Egypt".

Only residents will buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 PM

9,581 posts, read 11,162,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky name changing guy View Post
It sure will

Call it "River in Egypt".

Only residents will buy it.
It's going to be called "Land Of The (brain)Dead"

Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 PM

7,169 posts, read 8,756,510 times
Quote:
Again - this mindset is why LI fails. I'm not dreaming - I couldn't give a flying f. Your sentiment is a big part of what drives me outta here.
I never said your Robert Moses, LI fails because as a business model it stinks from labor costs, taxes, excessive restrictions and poor location for supplies/distribution. Your "flying f" apathy does not improve things either but cheer up your on your way out....

Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 PM

7,545 posts, read 7,974,415 times
I never thought the second ave. subway line would happen in my lifetime. However, I don't think I'll live long enough to see this project come to fruition.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I never said your Robert Moses, LI fails because as a business model it stinks from labor costs, taxes, excessive restrictions and poor location for supplies/distribution. Your "flying f" apathy does not improve things either but cheer up your on your way out....
It also fails because of the quality education you’re all getting

Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,778,783 times
I remember this being proposed as far back as the mid 1970's...

I propose they build high speed ferries propelled by giant electricity generating wind turbines. The Nimby's won't know where to protest first, the increased traffic or the turbines. The problem is it is a completely mobile and moving target not stationary off anyone's shore. They could even mix up the landing locations to further frustrate and confuse the Nimby's...

Follow the emoticon trail of the Nimby Nervous Breakdown: ..............

Old 04-25-2018, 09:06 PM

1,053 posts, read 719,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The investment of billions of dollars to build a crossing most don't want doesn't make much sense for a handful that want to live on LI and work in Connecticut. Keep dreaming just because Robert Moses envisioned it doesn't mean others shared his dream.
I'm not so sure "most don't want."

Many may not want it in a particular location. Many want it now, and others would see the benefit if it existed. About the only group who would be hurt are the ferry operators. The popularity of the ferries should indicate how useful a bridge or tunnel would be.

I run local events and travel in and out of the area to attend events. Being forced to travel through the city is the worst part of any trip. It is difficult to organize an event on Long Island because so many people simply refuse to drive through NYC to get here.

I'll agree with others that the possibility of it happening are slim to none. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful, or that it isn't wanted.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times
I look it at it too as another way off the island in Sandy type event. People in Suffolk are pretty trapped out there. (I know we have ferries, but roadwise, they are trapped)

Old 04-26-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I look it at it too as another way off the island in Sandy type event. People in Suffolk are pretty trapped out there. (I know we have ferries, but roadwise, they are trapped)
I wouldn't be taking a ferry outta here in a Sandy type event......

Old 04-26-2018, 08:30 AM

7,169 posts, read 8,756,510 times
Quote:
It also fails because of the quality education you’re all getting
I always love when the English police are on duty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or