U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM

4,339 posts, read 7,438,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Cuomo is trying to make this happen ...

I don't think it's too bad of an idea but there was a meeting last night in Bayville (or Brookville?) to try & vote this down ...

You wouldn't have to deal with city/boro traffic to get to New England.

I personally feel this is so needed and has been for a very long time.
This dead horse has been beaten for decades. Its been dreamed of, thought of, and shot down every single time.

Connecticut doesn't want us over there. Westchester does not either. Oyster Bay rich folk will certainly block any bridge or tunnel that dares to go through their town.

Its not a matter of what to build, its a matter of who owns the land where you want to put that thing.

And yes, even ideas for a south shore to Jersey bridge/tunnel has been brought up in the past.

Its kinda like butt crack itch. It comes and goes but will resurface someday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM

11,434 posts, read 15,194,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
This dead horse has been beaten for decades. Its been dreamed of, thought of, and shot down every single time.

Connecticut doesn't want us over there. Westchester does not either. Oyster Bay rich folk will certainly block any bridge or tunnel that dares to go through their town.

Its not a matter of what to build, its a matter of who owns the land where you want to put that thing.

And yes, even ideas for a south shore to Jersey bridge/tunnel has been brought up in the past.

Its kinda like butt crack itch. It comes and goes but will resurface someday.
But what about evacuating people in case of a hurricane?

We saw what Sandy did ... we are essentially trapped here!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky name changing guy View Post
I wouldn't be taking a ferry outta here in a Sandy type event......
Neither would I. I live in Western Nassau so the ferry is not something I consider ever but essentially Suffolkers are trapped when it comes to leaving the island in a mass exodus!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Yeah evacuation is one thing the politicians never decided on.

Technically Long Island is screwed if it was ever to be evacuated.

You make valid points, but in the end it all comes down to who owns the land the tunnel/bridge would go through/under and those people are NIMBY's.

And unfortunately those people are quite rich and buddy buddy with the politicians who favor their view.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Yeah evacuation is one thing the politicians never decided on.

Technically Long Island is screwed if it was ever to be evacuated.

You make valid points, but in the end it all comes down to who owns the land the tunnel/bridge would go through/under and those people are NIMBY's.

And unfortunately those people are quite rich and buddy buddy with the politicians who favor their view.
Well before Sandy, hurricane evacuation never really crossed anyone's minds I think but now that we have seen this and weather patterns are changing, I feel there is more of a need to have another way off the island. I personally believe Sandy-type events will be unfortunately more frequent for us, and places in the world that have never had natural disasters will start to see them.

There are a lot of NIMBY people and I can't say I blame them but I don't like the idea of being so trapped.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well before Sandy, hurricane evacuation never really crossed anyone's minds I think but now that we have seen this and weather patterns are changing, I feel there is more of a need to have another way off the island. I personally believe Sandy-type events will be unfortunately more frequent for us, and places in the world that have never had natural disasters will start to see them.

There are a lot of NIMBY people and I can't say I blame them but I don't like the idea of being so trapped.
Forget Sandy, we were trapped big time on 9/11/2001. All bridges/tunnels/ferries shut down.

And actually evacuation has crossed the minds of politicians through the decades, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, ...... . In the end, money talks.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's going to be called "Land Of The (brain)Dead"
Will you also make a made for TV movie? Or are you going to go for Hollywood?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:58 PM

301 posts, read 143,257 times
Seaford Oysterbay Expressway ends where it ends because the North Shore wouldn't permit us middle/south shore people to venture into their turf.

If this was on the South Shore this wouldn't been done decades ago.

We're an Island we need ingress and egress.

It is a no brainer Build it.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:11 PM

12,206 posts, read 11,705,564 times
Quote:

But evacuation even in Florida normally means getting away from coastal / flood prone areas not heading to another state. Even with the knowledge of Sandy's impending arrival how many attempted to head upstate?

Old 04-26-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
But evacuation even in Florida normally means getting away from coastal / flood prone areas not heading to another state. Even with the knowledge of Sandy's impending arrival how many attempted to head upstate?
it doesn't matter where people head .. the problem is egress off the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island