U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 11:04 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
A bridge is already in the works in Suffolk county.
Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 AM

1,053 posts, read 721,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
yup. and trucks from new england making deliveries to queens and brooklyn will use the new shortcut to avoid the new england thruway.
Which will be offset by the westbound traffic exiting LI at the same point. It could be argued that having this additional access point would also offer some relief of traffic at the current crossings (VNB, GWB, TNB, Whitestone).

While it would offer a major convenience for many, I don't think it will have any major effect on traffic. Traffic on LI is already horrendous. If nothing is done it will get worse. If something is done it will get worse. We lose either way.

For people who rarely leave the traffic prison that is Long Island, I can understand the pushback. For those of us who like to regularly travel off and back to the island, any alternative to the current bottleneck that routes all traffic through one of the country's largest and most congested urban centers would be welcome.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:09 PM

389 posts, read 353,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Cuomo is trying to make this happen ...

I don't think it's too bad of an idea but there was a meeting last night in Bayville (or Brookville?) to try & vote this down ...

You wouldn't have to deal with city/boro traffic to get to New England.

I personally feel this is so needed and has been for a very long time.
What part of Long Island would this proposed bridge/tunnel be placed? This isn't the Seaford-Oyster Bay (Rt 135) plan again is it?

If it's further east from the north shore of Suffolk County, I still think a good amount of New England traffic from Queens, Western/Central Nassau would use the existing routes to get to New England; that is the Throggs Neck and Whitestone Bridges.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,189,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where?
Sagatose parkway.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:45 PM

389 posts, read 353,911 times
I really have my doubts. The further east on Long Island, the wider the Sound gets to CT. As people have said, there is way too much political clout on the north shore of Nassau County for residents to allow such a disruption where the Sound is narrow.

An extension of the Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow would require a crossing that is almost three times as long as required from some of the western north shore points.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 PM

9,585 posts, read 11,177,859 times
Not happening.
Political stunt.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 PM

1,053 posts, read 721,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
I really have my doubts. The further east on Long Island, the wider the Sound gets to CT. As people have said, there is way too much political clout on the north shore of Nassau County for residents to allow such a disruption where the Sound is narrow.

An extension of the Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow would require a crossing that is almost three times as long as required from some of the western north shore points.
Further east than 135 and there is the issue of N/S commercial traffic access. Seaford-Oyster Bay is the only N/S Expressway. Any plan needs to provide reasonable access to trucks/commercial vehicles. The local roads surrounding parkways couldn't handle the volume.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:25 AM

60 posts, read 77,370 times
long island has to either finally give up the notion that it's a bucolic "escape" from the tawdry reality of modern existence and completely modernize its highway system (from the current circa early 1960's design form factor).

or, do massive land clearance and bring it back to the truck farming landscape it once had.

the first option would mean things like expressway-izing all the north-south parkways, and routes 454 and 347, double-decking (and/or) widening the l.i.e. from william floyd parkway all the way to the b.q.e.. it also means enhancement of the railroad network: re-building the original central railroad branch from hempstead to the current bethpage junction link, also at least two new north-south railroad branches. or some other form of transit like "brt". one in nassau, say from bellmore to jericho and one in suffolk, perhaps from bay shore through hauppauge to smithtown.

we could mix that up somewhat; put new rail lines or bus rapid transit along a widened 135 or sagtikos parkway.

the second option would probably lower costs of produce for the city.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:31 AM

2,184 posts, read 4,063,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
There, fixed it for you.

Thanks Spock

Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,056,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Sagatose parkway.
Do you mean Sagtikos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or