Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM

300 posts, read 552,567 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where to find good tradesman who want to work?

Less and less people are able to work with their hands to make a living. Many of my friends in construction, plumbing and electrical are finding it difficult to find legal workers. (yes I know you can go to a homedepot parking lot and pick up the a couple of guys)

I was helping one of my buddies out. We did monster, indeed, craiglist, linkedin.. We even reached out to nassau and suffolk boccess.. It seems like any applicants are drug addicts or convicts..

Most of the job openings have include salaries from 40k-65k depending on experience, so it's not like its a bad gig...

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times
Are you guys looking for helpers or mechanics with that salary? Only drug addicted mechanics would be willing to work for a 65k max. How good are health and retirement benefits? Maybe try advertising in the south.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Are you guys looking for helpers or mechanics with that salary? Only drug addicted mechanics would be willing to work for a 65k max. How good are health and retirement benefits? Maybe try advertising in the south.
I'm not looking for anyone. I was away this weekend for a guys weekend and several of my friends were talking about this. One of them asked me to keep an ear out. Figured I put a post out since I haven't done that in a while..

I don't think they were looking for master carpenters. They were looking for men with a few years experience who knew which way to hold a hammer.

With that being said, most kids coming out of a 4 year college are making 45k-50k and they have debt!! So I personally didn't think there numbers were insane..

Anyways, I have no dog in this fight. So no need to be nasty.

I find your comment funny though since most homeowners do not want to pay anything for construction lol! Yet you think the employees should be paid top dollar! Oh the irony!!

Old 04-23-2018, 07:38 AM

Not trying to be nasty, just realistic. Top dollar or fair wage? That’s where the real argument begins and ends.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Not trying to be nasty, just realistic. Top dollar or fair wage? That’s where the real argument begins and ends.
Hey I agree, but the same thing goes for fair/wage vs cost of living.. Just because it is expensive to live somewhere does not mean that you get paid more for your skills..

Don't get me wrong, tradesman have all my respect. I think they should get paid well, but I also think that $20-$35 an hour is not slave labor. I know many people with degrees who do not make that money.

I think tradesman should get paid more but homeowners are cheap to begin with...

Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Hey I agree, but the same thing goes for fair/wage vs cost of living.. Just because it is expensive to live somewhere does not mean that you get paid more for your skills..

Don't get me wrong, tradesman have all my respect. I think they should get paid well, but I also think that $20-$35 an hour is not slave labor. I know many people with degrees who do not make that money.

I think tradesman should get paid more but homeowners are cheap to begin with...
All stems from cheap homeowner. The thing is, anyone that has the skills will either start their own business or try a get a union job. You would have to be seriously desperate or foolish to sacrifice your health like tradesmen do for $35/hr unless all other benefits were stellar.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
The city is booming right now and they(companies)have all the workers bottled up.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM

18 posts, read 24,347 times
No one wants to pay. I can do great work. Little slow but my quality is very good. Like others said the benefits aren’t great. Why you think people get those Home Depot guys. Cash under the table they get state benefits cause they claim nothing and then save for years and live like a king in another country. I’m 31 and it’s amazing how many people my age cannot fix things. I get compliments all the time from neighbors who see me outside working on my house. We are out there your just not giving enough of an incentive to work for the trade.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
All stems from cheap homeowner. The thing is, anyone that has the skills will either start their own business or try a get a union job. You would have to be seriously desperate or foolish to sacrifice your health like tradesmen do for $35/hr unless all other benefits were stellar.
I'm just wondering how much money do you think a residential carpenter or jr carpenter should make?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
The only thing most homeowners want to pay for is day laborers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island