U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:12 AM

9,585 posts, read 11,172,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Rich folks in the Hamptons with golden toilet seats can afford this.
No fair! I want a gold toilet seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 10:46 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,609,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
No fair! I want a gold toilet seat.
How about DIY genuine gold tone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9XRmchApc

Old 04-28-2018, 02:17 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I read it again, and leach fields were mentioned...so youíre right imagine if something like the following had to be dug up?

And of course...the only thing that can be above it is grass.

CAN I BUILD OVER MY LEACH FIELD?
You will not want to use a leach field for building, growing food or leisure time because it could have sewage water in it at any time. In addition, paving over the top of a leach field seals it and defeats its purpose. Building gardens or field flowers over the top of a leach field will result in clogging the tiny perforations in the pipes. Grass that is kept short is ok because will take much longer to clog pipes, but any type of plant where its roots can cause damage is not a good idea. Overall, it is not recommended to build over your leach filed and you should also not put anything heavy on top of it, such as parking a vehicle.
This is clueless political disconnect at its finest. If you're in an area in Suffolk with poor drainage (we have a client in 11780 who has clay) they are hosed. Compete and utter BS. I can understand bring these online when a new home is built, or if the BOH requires a larger system because additional bedrooms are being added in an extension. That makes sense. But what happens to the young family in Shirley or Medford which doesn't have a lot of money or little equity in their home? There are only so many subsidies.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 PM

4,620 posts, read 2,609,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is clueless political disconnect at its finest. If you're in an area in Suffolk with poor drainage (we have a client in 11780 who has clay) they are hosed. Compete and utter BS. I can understand bring these online when a new home is built, or if the BOH requires a larger system because additional bedrooms are being added in an extension. That makes sense. But what happens to the young family in Shirley or Medford which doesn't have a lot of money or little equity in their home? There are only so many subsidies.
I doubt it would be mandated for existing homeowners. The big question - is the home or the homeowner grandfathered in? If the former, fine. If the latter, itíll make a home harder to sell.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I doubt it would be mandated for existing homeowners. The big question - is the home or the homeowner grandfathered in? If the former, fine. If the latter, itíll make a home harder to sell.
When I was reading about this last year, there was mention of consideration that homes would need to be converted prior to selling. I hope that doesn't happen.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,265,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Require electricity (more fossil fuel created pollution into the air) and, according to the article, maintenance plans to service them. The maintenance plans weren't that cheap, either.

The sewer scandal has passed, they need to stop blaming that. It is time to upgrade all of Suffolk to sewers.
agreed. I read the article in today's paper , very informative.
Seems that the initial costs for these systems can escalate to 30k, and many of the systems being offered are not foolproof. The performance of one system mentioned badly degrades if bleach is being deposited in the system . How do we keep our underwear white ??
costs for maintenance/warranties are 2k /year, and parts are really expensive to replace. Systems use electric power, so your already high LIPA bill will rise .It's hard to monitor if the system is functioning properly, etc. etc.
How can this be forced down our throats ?

Old 04-29-2018, 04:08 PM

9,585 posts, read 11,172,323 times
There is no way existing homeowners would be forced to convert.
At least not at their expense anyway.
Every politician knows that would be political suicide.

I can see it for new construction or major renovations.
Probably grants and/or tax benefits for voluntary (or emergency?) existing system upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or