Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times

Advertisements

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...k-septic-plan/

"Suffolk County officials say average installation costs of the innovative and advanced systems run $19,200. Builders, installers and engineers said the price tag can be as high as $25,000 to $30,000 for some houses where soil composition and other site conditions might make the work difficult.

That’s compared to about $5,000 to $10,000 to install a traditional septic tank and cesspool, installers said, and as little as $2,000 for a cesspool alone.

In addition to upfront costs and maintenance, the advanced systems also have electrical components that add to utility bills.

In general, the first three years of maintenance costs are included by manufacturers in the installation price. But after that, residents will be required to have an annual contract that will cost between $250 to $300 a year, according to the county."

Of course, sewers could have been done decade ago, but as always in NIMBY land...

"An ambitious 1967 plan had sewers crossing from the South Shore of western Suffolk to Huntington, Smithtown and Commack. Voters rejected it 6 to 1."

"And by the time elected leaders started discussing the topic again, the federal government, which along with the state paid for 87.5 percent of the costs of the Southwest Sewer District, stopped regularly funding sewer projects."

Anyone looking at upgrading their cesspool should plan on doing it soon, before this initiative requires something like this in your yard -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM

731 posts, read 724,430 times
How long before Bellony Boy and his Gaggle of Bozos pass along a tax to everyone to help the low income homeowners who can't afford not only their house but a new craptank.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
How long before Bellony Boy and his Gaggle of Bozos pass along a tax to everyone to help the low income homeowners who can't afford not only their house but a new craptank.
I think they're setting up big rebates to 1,000 homeowners. Guess who'll likely get them...while the other 260,000 homeowners...not so much.

My original point was that they obviously can't force everyone to do it at once, so they'll probably require it on new construction and if people do additions on their homes and need septic/cesspool upsizing.

What I don't like is that these units require electricity to work. If the power goes out (Irene, Sandy anyone) then you may not even be able to flush.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What I don't like is that these units require electricity to work. If the power goes out (Irene, Sandy anyone) then you may not even be able to flush.
Ugh...had that for 6 days with Irma...pump stations didn't work. Not a pretty site for people without shower drainplugs.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 22,631 times
Hi. I'm Larry. This is my brother Darrell...and this is my other brother Darrell.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:20 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think they're setting up big rebates to 1,000 homeowners. Guess who'll likely get them...while the other 260,000 homeowners...not so much.

My original point was that they obviously can't force everyone to do it at once, so they'll probably require it on new construction and if people do additions on their homes and need septic/cesspool upsizing.

I can tell you that this is 100% not required for new construction in Suffolk. I'm sure it will be but as of today it is not. If I owned a home in Suffolk I would keep my old system for ever and just pay to have it repaired and if companies wouldn't do it, I would find some out of state guy that would. Money talks and a 2k repair that lasts 10 years is better than 20k and utility costs.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
So because of corruption and the county's inability to implement the necessary infrastructure like a normal community they want everyone to get a home bass-o-matic to process their ....byproduct. I guess this will free up county resources to address the toxic bloom which is spreading and destroying the aquifer and waterways.....

Got it..

Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Sounds and looks like a bunch of crap to me!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 AM

194 posts, read 168,068 times
I've lived in Nassau County my whole life. Someone tell me again why sewers aren't a possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
So because of corruption and the county's inability to implement the necessary infrastructure like a normal community they want everyone to get a home bass-o-matic to process their ....byproduct. I guess this will free up county resources to address the toxic bloom which is spreading and destroying the aquifer and waterways.....

Got it..
Yes, exactly

Old 04-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I can tell you that this is 100% not required for new construction in Suffolk. I'm sure it will be but as of today it is not. If I owned a home in Suffolk I would keep my old system for ever and just pay to have it repaired and if companies wouldn't do it, I would find some out of state guy that would. Money talks and a 2k repair that lasts 10 years is better than 20k and utility costs.
It's not required today, correct. But you can see the direction this is going.

I did my system around 10 years ago, and replaced with a 1000 gallon septic and 2 new concrete ring cesspools for overflows.

If anyone is on the fence about fixing their old block cesspools they should look into getting it done sooner than later, because once it's formally legislated there will be a ton of activity of people trying to get upgraded before the effective date.

Thank goodness they don't require leach fields though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island