Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:15 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,827 times

Advertisements

Husband commuting by car during regular business hours from Downtown Brooklyn (near the Br Bridge). Family of 4 with elementary age kids. About $600ish to spend on a house. Where would you recommend to live in Nassau Cty? Obviously the shorter the commute the better, but well worth driving a little more for better overall quality of life. If you can please let me know what you think commute times might be for where you suggest b/c this is the kind of thing a map doesn't really help with & I need you guys. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
RVC, Lynbrook, Garden City, Malverne (with VS schools)

I personally think driving to BK everyday is insane ... the LIRR does go to parts of Brooklyn. Not that it's any better but it will save you the headache of sitting in traffic.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I personally think driving to BK everyday is insane ... the LIRR does go to parts of Brooklyn. Not that it's any better but it will save you the headache of sitting in traffic.
some great advice here. you're not getting GC or RVC for 600k.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
Quote:

Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, East Williston.

The LIRR to downtown Brooklyn is a fast, easy commute for someone working in the Atlantic Avenue area. The Far Rockaway line goes straight to Bklyn in about 20 minutes from Gibson in Valley Stream.

"ON!"

Old 04-27-2018, 09:30 AM

194 posts, read 168,125 times
Quote:

That's one thing I don't understand about the schools. Malverne high school got a higher rating than Valley Stream North. What makes the Valley Stream Schools more desirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Yeah no way. You probably can't even get an empty lot in those areas for that much. There are 3 houses by me in Malverne up for sale, but they're all in the 700's

Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
You can. I didn't say it'd be a great house but you can but it will need a lot of work. Those areas are closer to Brooklyn, that is why I mentioned them.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,827 times
Thanks guys keep it coming. I should have said that part of the job requires driving a company car so the RR is out of the question. In terms of commuting is this a realy stupid idea to consider this move?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
That's one thing I don't understand about the schools. Malverne high school got a higher rating than Valley Stream North. What makes the Valley Stream Schools more desirable?

Yeah no way. You probably can't even get an empty lot in those areas for that much. There are 3 houses by me in Malverne up for sale, but they're all in the 700's
I don't know, I don't have kids, people just seem to want to be in VS over Malverne for some reason. truthfully I think LIers put way too much emphasis on how schools perform. A kid can be successful no matter where they go to school. Jericho has failures just as Roosevelt has successes.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
Thanks guys keep it coming. I should have said that part of the job requires driving a company car so the RR is out of the question. In terms of commuting is this a realy stupid idea to consider this move?
There will be traffic so that's something your husband will have to deal with.

There are some nice areas of Queens, have you considered that? I'm guessing you are looking for more of a suburban lifestyle but I think there are some areas of Queen that are not that urban that could possibly fit the bill? Would be a better commute for sure.

I don't know much about Queens to really tell you where though ...

Old 04-27-2018, 10:36 AM

376 posts, read 310,439 times
Quote:
There will be traffic so that's something your husband will have to deal with.

There are some nice areas of Queens, have you considered that? I'm guessing you are looking for more of a suburban lifestyle but I think there are some areas of Queen that are not that urban that could possibly fit the bill? Would be a better commute for sure.

I don't know much about Queens to really tell you where though ...

$600k is not getting you anything in a good area of Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island