U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 PM

44 posts, read 40,007 times

Advertisements

I have 2 very old (about 50 years old) and very heavy hospital beds on the 2nd floor in a private home. I need to have them disassembled, removed and disposed of.

While I am looking to get new beds, I am concerned about relying on bed delivery men who would not have experience in disassembling beds of this type. They are also much more heavy than the type you would rent nowadays for short term use in a home. There is potential for a lot of damage to our home if this is not done properly.

Some have suggested the 1 800 We Got Junk service. They're national and will give me a certificate of insurance.

I saw this company in the Herald Courier. I believe the owner is named Giglio. Have you ever used them? What were your thoughts about their service?

Thanks for any advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 04:51 PM

757 posts, read 609,306 times
Since it’s being trashed, hire a handyman with a sawzsaw first. There’s no reason to disassemble it properly.

I’ve used got-junk and college-hunks before. Same service, everyone has been very professional. When I warn them there’s a full truck load, they send enough people to work.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:38 PM

9,592 posts, read 11,200,016 times
Hack it up and put it out to the curb.
You can call for special pick up but most likely a scrapper will get to it first.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 AM

44 posts, read 40,007 times
Appreciate you guys getting back to me. We could not lift the components of the bed (iron railings). While it doesn't need to be disassembled properly (I'm sure you meant that it could be reassembled and reused elsewhere), it absolutely couldn't fit through home doorways without being broken down into component parts. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,202,565 times
Those companies are fine and I'm sure they do a good job, but they aren't cheap. I needed an old dilapidated shed removed from my mother-in-law's backyard. 1-800-Got-Junk wanted $1,100. I put an ad on Craigslist and paid a couple guys $400 to chop it up and haul it off.

Since the beds are garbage and you're not going to use them again, it should be pretty easy for someone to take a sawzall to them and cut them down into manageable sizes and discard them for you for a couple hundred bucks.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:09 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,276,912 times
I have used Clutter Free. They are really good local company.

Home - Clutter Free Junk Removal Service and Cleanup Pros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or