U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 03:31 PM

4,626 posts, read 2,614,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
NYC supports LI at this point, and again the public expects the good times will never end.
In the Grumman years one person worked, one stayed at home and they enjoyed a solid middle class life with reasonable taxes and a reasonable commute.

Contrast that with today where to get the same financial QOL two jobs are required or having one spouse commute to NYC with all the accompanying stresses that go with juggling work and kids.

I do agree it's unsustainable - but as long as people keep on absorbing these things it'll keep motoring along.

The thing I agree with and am concerned with is the dependency of LI on NYC. If NYC sneezes LI catches the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 PM

92 posts, read 101,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
In the Grumman years one person worked, one stayed at home and they enjoyed a solid middle class life with reasonable taxes and a reasonable commute.

Contrast that with today where to get the same financial QOL two jobs are required or having one spouse commute to NYC with all the accompanying stresses that go with juggling work and kids.

I do agree it's unsustainable - but as long as people keep on absorbing these things it'll keep motoring along.

The thing I agree with and am concerned with is the dependency of LI on NYC. If NYC sneezes LI catches the cold.
The first thing thatís going to happen once it becomes clear itís unsustainable, is asking the unions for concessions. Iím sure thatíll go over like a lead weight here. Itís happening now state wide in CT, the state cannot sustain the commitments it has made over the last 30 years. Itís seems to me, Nassau is not far behind from this.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,711,108 times
Grumman? Long Island got over that 30++++++ years ago!

I’ve been hearing about LI being “unsustainable “ now for 20+ years.

People Come & Go, just like any other state/county.
We ALL COMPLAIN and most (noticed I said “most”) of us still stay.
Post after post, forum after forum it’s the same issues that we’ve been dealing with for decades.

Those living in upper class & richer areas, their not concerned about the SALT tax. Pennies on a dollar to them.

Suffolk’s population hasn’t changed in years (a small +/-)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/HCN010212

Nassau’s population been SLIGHTLY increasing over the years.

So I love when I read “Everyone is leaving Long Island”
I never saw so much traffic in my life!

Last edited by Spanky25; 05-01-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Grumman? Long Island got over that 30++++++ years ago!

Iíve been hearing about LI being ďunsustainable ď now for 20+ years.

People Come & Go, just like any other state/county.
We ALL COMPLAIN and most (noticed I said ďmostĒ) of us still stay.
Post after post, forum after forum itís the same issues that weíve been dealing with for decades.

Those living in upper class & richer areas, their not concerned about the SALT tax. Pennies on a dollar to them.

Suffolkís population hasnít changed in years (a small +/-)

Nassauís population been SLIGHTLY increasing over the years.
As point out before, Nassauís population is still lower than 1970.

In 1984, NYSís largest private sector employers were:

Chase Manhattan
Consolidated Edison
Eastman Kodak
First National City Bank
General Electric
General Motors
Grumman Aerospace
IBM Corp
Manufacturerís Hanover
NY Telephone

So a list dominated by manufacturing and banks.

In 2004:

Chase Manhattan
Columbia University
Cornell
Eastman Kodak
Home Depot
IBM Corp
University of Rochester
Verizon
Wal-Mart
Wegmans

A big transition to retail and higher ed.

This is for the whole state, Iím sure LI mirrors this.

When you lose $80K engineering and manufacturing jobs that provide a pension and replace them with $40K retail jobs that donít pay benefits itís not the right direction.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 PM

74 posts, read 31,998 times
LI residents who leave are being replaced with NYC residents and IMO, this cycle will continue. It’s more afordable to live in LI.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
LI residents who leave are being replaced with NYC residents and IMO, this cycle will continue. It’s more afordable to live in LI.
“on”.

And relatively so, but the point is that more and more jobs don’t require living in NYC or on LI. I know many who have moved to points south and west, transferring with the same company.

I don’t think there will be any big crash, just a continual and gradual downslide. It may take another 50 years but a reckoning is coming.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM

“When you lose $80K engineering and manufacturing jobs that provide a pension and replace them with $40K retail jobs that don’t pay benefits it’s not the right direction.
Rate this post positively”

Engineering jobs were gone in the 80’s. It’s now 2018.
$40k retail jobs and lower, were the jobs created within the last 8 years (not getting into politics)

So, then who is affording these ridiculous taxes & housing prices that are on the rise?
Who is affording these 1 BR apartment complexes for $2,500+ $3,000 + for 2 BR that are popping up all over LI? It’s not the landscapers.

I greatly appreciate your opinion.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
“When you lose $80K engineering and manufacturing jobs that provide a pension and replace them with $40K retail jobs that don’t pay benefits it’s not the right direction.
Rate this post positively”

Engineering jobs were gone in the 80’s. It’s now 2018.
$40k retail jobs and lower, were the jobs created within the last 8 years (not getting into politics)

So, then who is affording these ridiculous taxes & housing prices that are on the rise?
Who is affording these 1 BR apartment complexes for $2,500+ $3,000 + for 2 BR that are popping up all over LI? It’s not the landscapers.

I greatly appreciate your opinion.
You’re thinking of manufacturing engineering. Many left with Grumman but there are still small manufacturers serving the military. I know some of these owners and it’s getting harder to get skilled labor now. Some are contemplating moving south too.

Companies like CA hired a ton of software engineers in the 80’s and 90’s, many based on LI. Where are they now? Largely India.

The LI population is aging, so older people are taking on more of the taxes.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Markj,
What about this question I asked.....

“So, then who is affording these ridiculous taxes & housing prices that are on the rise?
Who is affording these 1 BR apartment complexes for $2,500+
$3,000 + for 2 BR that are popping up all over LI? It’s not the landscapers.” It’s not a 40k retail job, it’s not a cpl with a combined income of 60k-80k

Again, I greatly appreciate your opinion.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Markj,
What about this question I asked.....

“So, then who is affording these ridiculous taxes & housing prices that are on the rise?
Who is affording these 1 BR apartment complexes for $2,500+
$3,000 + for 2 BR that are popping up all over LI? It’s not the landscapers.” It’s not a 40k retail job, it’s not a cpl with a combined income of 60k-80k

Again, I greatly appreciate your opinion.
Obviously someone is affording them. One option is that while the population is nearly the same the average people per home is less - fewer 3 generation homes.

And a combined income of $80K can certainly afford $3000 a month in rent. Not a ton else, but they can afford it.

Also, how many of these units are being built? A few hundred maybe? Still a lot of people about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island