U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,671,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Just got my first ticket ever... cop says i didnt stop at the stop sign but I did. It was the end of the night & iím thinking he just had a quota to fill...

Do i have any rights? How do i fight this?

Nassau or Suffolk? If Nassau, plead not guilty, go to court and the DA will see your clean record and offer you a deal. Take it. He'll offer you a deal where you pay a fine but NO points on your license which is what you want.

Reason is when your insurance company does a scan of your license and sees points, they add their own points to your insurance which will stay on for 5 years (separate from the dmv points which stay 3 years on your license).

If you pay a fine of 300 or so and no points, that is wayyyyy less than what your insurance will increase over the 5 years. Supposedly after those 5 years, the insurance will reduce, but it won't reduce a lot.

For example, the insurance company sees points on your license. You pay X dollars already. They will raise you Z dollars. After those 5 years are up, they may decrease it by Y dollars, not Z dollars. So in the end, you will be paying way more than that 300 you could have paid up front with no points on your license.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 PM

4,095 posts, read 1,715,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Very few people make a full stop at a stop sign unless there is traffic. There are a lot of four way stop signs in my neighborhood and many drivers don't even make a rolling stop. They slow to 10-15 mph and go right through them. They probably think they are obeying the sign because they slowed down.
Agree.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:51 PM

64,540 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Reason is when your insurance company does a scan of your license and sees points, they add their own points to your insurance which will stay on for 5 years (separate from the dmv points which stay 3 years on your license).
quite a lot of wrong info there bobs .

insurers never see points on your licence they see convictions only .

insurers all have their own proprietary scoring system based on convictions and what they are .

points come off in 18 months from date of violation . that only is seen by dmv .

convictions stay on for almost 4 years from date of conviction . they come off the january following 3 years after the date of conviction . that can run just shy of 4 years .

Old 04-29-2018, 02:42 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I donít think thereís a required amount of time, but if you feel the weight shift in the vehicle you know it has come to a complete stop. The problem is the momentary stop.
The weight def shifted... idk if it was 3 sec though

Old 04-29-2018, 05:32 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,982,258 times
Back a couple of years ago I was given a ticket for making a right turn at a no right turn sign - the problem was the sign is illegal. Everyone who lives here knows the sign is bogus - it's mounted on a street sign pole on the corner of Woolsey Street and West Neck Road in Huntington. A valid no right turn sign is supposed to be on its own stake approx. 18 feet prior to the corner. Also there is no valid reason for this sign (not a one-way street, no divider in the road, not even a drain), and as a result of that there is no written valid reason for it which there is supposed to be for a sign like this. It seems someone who works in the highway dept. in Huntington lives on Woolsey Street, and the people who live on this street don't want traffic (we all want that), hence the sign. Still, I got stuck with the ticket after trying to explain to the cop why the sign is illegal.

I ended up going to Hauppauge to pay the fine and absorb the points on my license. I told the cashier about the illegal sign, and she told me to talk to them about it. The result was they reduced this bogus ticket to a parking ticket. It still cost me $380 but ended up with no points. Talk about a scam and a corrupt Huntington highway dept.

Last edited by AndreaII; 04-29-2018 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 05:44 AM

Do they do court dates @ night or on weekends?

Cant get a day off work ...

Ugh. This really threw a wrench in everything...

Old 04-30-2018, 06:00 AM

546 posts, read 282,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do they do court dates @ night or on weekends?

Cant get a day off work ...

Ugh. This really threw a wrench in everything...
Just stop already. Admit you were wrong.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Just stop already. Admit you were wrong.
Were you there?

I am not wrong. I believe the cop pulled me over to fill a quota.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 AM

64,540 posts, read 66,100,109 times
i would have to vote nonsense! just because if it does not make sense it does not make sense. he had no clue if you had a dash cam somewhere or not when he selected you and pulled you over . you could have an under hood cam and he could lose his job . it makes no sense .

Old 04-30-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would have to vote nonsense! just because if it does not make sense it does not make sense. he had no clue if you had a dash cam somewhere or not when he selected you and pulled you over . you could have an under hood cam and he could lose his job . it makes no sense .
So because he is a cop & im not he is right? These thibgs happen all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or