U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM

64,530 posts, read 66,075,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
oh great! I took it in October .. will that reduce it or do I have to take it again?
if you are not in danger of losing your license the point reduction is meaningless . it reduces nothing that the insurer sees .
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 02:21 PM

1,934 posts, read 3,523,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what do you think is nonsense ? insurer do not see points at all , your record only lists convictions and the course has no bearing on what others see on your record .
------------------------------------
dmv says so too .

What are the benefits of taking a Defensive Driving/Accident Prevention course?
Completing an approved course will refresh your driving knowledge
help to prevent you from losing your license in the event you accrued 11 or more points on your driving record
4 points are 'subtracted' for the purposes of calculating a suspension if you have 11 or more points
the tickets/points do not physically come off your driving record
---------------------------------------------------------

hey if you don't think suddenly taking a defensive driving course raises eyebrows when you never did , then do it . i warned you all but do what you like . insurers have no reason to pull driving records regularly unless you give them one .
LOL. I take it every 3 years - 10% discount each year. That 10% can certainly make up costs associated with points.

This is not something that insurance companies are trying to hide from you, they will suggest it to you if you are asking about ways to reduce your payment. If you get a ticket, the insurance company will know about it, they don't need to "pull your driving record". Nonsense.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:27 PM

no they may not know about . i just went 3-1/2 years without them seeing my 6 point speeding ticket .

Old 04-30-2018, 02:34 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,670,288 times
Quote:
oh great! I took it in October .. will that reduce it or do I have to take it again?
Its to reduce existing points on your license, not future points. You can take it every 18 months for point reduction, every 3 years for the 10% discount.

So you have to wait 18 months from date of conviction to retake it. That is if you do get any points. Most likely you'll get it talked down to a parking ticket or something without points but still a fine.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Its to reduce existing points on your license, not future points. You can take it every 18 months for point reduction, every 3 years for the 10% discount.

So you have to wait 18 months from date of conviction to retake it. That is if you do get any points. Most likely you'll get it talked down to a parking ticket or something without points but still a fine.
Ok, thank you, that's reassuring.

I don't really have the $$ but I suppose paying a fine is better than points.

I'm just dreading going to actual court ... it sounds intimidating. I went to jury duty once. It was intimidating even then

Old 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post

until you approach the limit for getting your license suspended the point reduction has no meaning . it just gives you the ability to get more points before being suspended but if you are not even close than the reduction is a non event .

Old 04-30-2018, 06:33 PM

1,934 posts, read 3,523,718 times
Quote:
no they may not know about . i just went 3-1/2 years without them seeing my 6 point speeding ticket .
LOL. OK. You also missed out on all those years of 10% savings so you are actually paying as if the ticket hit your insurance anyway. You really showed them though!

Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 393 times
Quote:
Just got my first ticket ever... cop says i didnt stop at the stop sign but I did. It was the end of the night & i’m thinking he just had a quota to fill...

Do i have any rights? How do i fight this?
A ton of misinformation on this thread..

1) First and foremost, go in and fight it. Take off work. Period. At worst, you are convicted. Highly unlikely to happen. If you should find yourself before the judge with the cop who issued the summons, forget the bogus ticket defense. Say something to the effect of "I really didn't feel like I ran the stop sign". You'll be at their mercy. Act like you know it. The conviction could hurt your insurance rate.

2) Do you have any points currently? Have you received 3 or more points within the last 18 months? If so, then if convicted, the points for the stop sign will result in an annual $100 assessment being paid to NYS for 3 years (all these experienced posters yet no one mentioned this yet). If you don't have, and don't normally accumulate points, then the 3 points you might get won't mean much in the grand scheme. 6 points or more during an 18 month period will result in the assessment. No one wants that. Defensive Driver Course point reduction won't help you with this, either.

3) Do you need your license for work? i.e., does your employer regularly check your abstract? If not, and you have no points, and you don't typically get points, then you're worried about the wrong thing (points). The moving violation conviction is what you don't want. As many have already stated, go to court, play the game, and get the thing reduced. Don't go in on a crusade for justice. Just accept the fact that Long Island sucks the life out of you.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 PM

1,053 posts, read 719,148 times
Quote:
until you approach the limit for getting your license suspended the point reduction has no meaning . it just gives you the ability to get more points before being suspended but if you are not even close than the reduction is a non event .
Unfortunately true. Once you hit six points, you also have the driver responsibility assessment fee to contend with. That fee cannot be reduced or eliminated by point reduction courses.

(oops... didn't realize another post already pointed this out).

Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
LOL. OK. You also missed out on all those years of 10% savings so you are actually paying as if the ticket hit your insurance anyway. You really showed them though!
wrong . i have taken it in the past but not when i had the ticket on record .

i never said don't take it, ever i said i would not suddenly take it for sure if i never took it before . my buddy worked for an insurer and that waves a red flag so they always pull an abstract .

by the way , many insurers do not give you the discount if you do in fact have a ticket so you have to find out first somehow . you could get a double whammy , spent 25-50 bucks for the course , raise a red flag to have them look at your record and get no discount .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You Can’t Fool the Insurance Companies
For those of you who took the class to remove a ticket from your record, consider it a win that the ticket was removed. But understand that insurers have seen it all before and they know the average person only takes the course for that exact reason, and would be slightly foolish to start discounting every driver who recently received a ticket.
That said, many insurance companies will not give you the discount if you’ve had a ticket or accident within the past 3-5 years. So don’t expect to get your speeding ticket removed and a discount for taking the course!
"
https://www.thetruthaboutinsurance.c...s-it-worth-it/

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-01-2018 at 02:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or