U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 AM

15 posts, read 96,472 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions about whether the downtown revitalization of Patchogue (the new 7 story mixed use complex of hotel, workforce housing, retail on the famous 4 corners) will do anything to improve property values, improve quality of life, etc. There are already so many empty stores along Main St that I'm having a hard time believing that something like this will thrive but I'm just not sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,254,777 times
Patchogue is coming along slowly. I also dont know about a 7 story building. But there are more stores rented, more resturants and also there is affordable houseing.

Its much better than it was 5-10 years ago. House prices seem to be staying around $300,000.

Give it time. They are moving in the right direction
d

Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,302,957 times
I've seen progress there too...I think LIers are really missing out by letting our mainstreets die or turn into tourist hell like Port Jeff.
I hope Riverhead can figure out how to get it together.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,964,695 times
Default Compared to 5-7 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknat View Post
I'm looking for opinions about whether the downtown revitalization of Patchogue (the new 7 story mixed use complex of hotel, workforce housing, retail on the famous 4 corners) will do anything to improve property values, improve quality of life, etc. There are already so many empty stores along Main St that I'm having a hard time believing that something like this will thrive but I'm just not sure...
Patchogue has improved a great deal from even 5 years ago along its main street. The number of vacancies on a percentage basis is down a great deal. The local politicians all ran unopposed just recently due to their success and planned direction. Bayshore's main street area also seems to be improving, although it has further to go. Quaint main streets in shore towns should be a huge benefit to LI...I hope this subtle progress continues.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

9,341 posts, read 25,487,113 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Patchogue

For those who may not be familiar with Patchogue:

Patchogue is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the southwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the south-center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Patchogue in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Patchogue; on the east by the Hamlet of East Patchogue; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Blue Point.

The Village of Patchogue has a different border than does the "Patchogue, NY 11772" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address and not be in the Village of Patchogue and a place can have other than a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address and be in the Village of Patchogue): places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address that are not in the Village of Patchogue are in the Hamlet of Blue Point, the Hamlet of North Patchogue, the Hamlet of East Patchogue, the Hamlet of North Bellport and the Village of Bellport; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Patchogue with a "Blue Point, NY 11715" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 AM

3,268 posts, read 8,389,670 times
I think the plan is the best thing that could happen to the village. Also, it will be a model for other communities across Long Island.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,112,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I think the plan is the best thing that could happen to the village. Also, it will be a model for other communities across Long Island.
100% agree. I went there recently b/c my friend bought a townhouse near the downtown. The area is starting to hop, with a nice amount of cool restaurants, shops, etc. opening up. The performing arts theater is great, and the new condos and townhouses downtown makes for some life. The hotel will be a HUGE boost along with a proposed project to convert space downtown into art ist lofts and street level galleries.

Like Tom said, it's great for the town and should lead to great things for LI. All LI downtowns should in some way try to emulate this model. You can have a great, somewhat "urban" downtown area and still preserve open space, single family homes, etc.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM

I think also that Patchogue is trying to encourage many younger people to come back. A teacher in my sons school bought one of the new townhouses. If you look at what most people want where they live ; close to the railroad, walking to a town, safe ; its ok really. The village cops are there all the time and they really get cracking.

I plan on keeping our house there for a while. There is also a big development going to be starting along west main street towards Bluepoint.

d

Old 03-28-2008, 04:39 AM

Read todays newsday ; I know Newsday isnt always right. But it has Patchogue on the number 10 best places for a young family to live!!! And also a waterfront place to live.

Makes a huge difference from years past.

dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island